Neewbie Question (I did a search before) | FerrariChat

Neewbie Question (I did a search before)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by persian_pryde, Mar 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. persian_pryde

persian_pryde Rookie

Mar 24, 2010
    Hey Guys,

I just had a quick question, Im looking at a Ferrari down south that has "salvage" history just curious if Ferrari would let this car be imported to Canada?

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

2. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    Yes a Ferrari with a salvage title can be imported into Canada but has to go for a special inspection that determine's if the repair's are within 2mm(i think) of factory spec's...so if they're not you'll have to pay to fix it so they are.

I think the inspection it's self is only a couple of hundred dollar's, I have only done this once before for a Viper that one of Auotforum's customer's imported and then died so we had to sell the car for his widow.

And then you'll have a salvage title car on your hand's which is way way way harder to sell then any other 'story car'.

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#3 Kds, Mar 24, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
    You cannot legally title a "salvage" vehicle in all provinces. Better check with "your" local DMV......as this factor can seriously limit the already slim resale prospects, as the salvage designation chases away 95% of potential buyers anyways. Also, flood vehicles are a no go anywhere in Canada. It is hard enough reselling a Ferrari anyways, why would you want to deal with a salvage title car ? They are not cheaper to fix than a good car and they are almost saleproof.

Getting it into the country may be one thing, getting plates for it is another.

From the RIV website.......

Salvage vehicles are vehicles that have been damaged beyond economical repair due to collision, natural disaster, accident, trespass or other occurrence as determined by a licensing authority or a licensed insurance provider.

All U.S. brand information on imported vehicles is acquired by RIV as part of the registration process. Vehicles in this category will have U.S. titles indicating the salvage status or brand. This information is verified by RIV through U.S. databases, and the salvage brand will be made available to all provincial and territorial licensing jurisdictions in Canada through the Interprovincial Records Exchange (IRE). A salvage status on a vehicle may severely limit your ability to get the vehicle licensed and insured in Canada. You should contact your jurisdictional licensing authority for more information.

Salvage or rebuilt salvage vehicles can be licensed in Canada provided the original damage was not flood-related and the vehicle is admissible under Transport Canada’s List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States. All licensing jurisdictions in Canada require a second rigorous structural integrity inspection for U.S. salvage vehicles to verify that the necessary repairs have been done to make the vehicle road safe.

Salvage or rebuilt salvage vehicles can also be imported into Canada as parts-only vehicles through a Vehicle Imported for Parts Form Form 3 regardless of the source of the damage. However, once a vehicle has entered Canada on Form 3, it can never be licensed in Canada.

4. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    not sure about other province's but in Ontario you can get a salvaged registered in Ontario and Insured IF it passes the test I mentioned above.

And come to think of it i think I had to track down pictures of the car(viper) when it was smashed for the new owner's insurance company.

And again you'll have a unsellable previously smashed car...NO ONE will buy it.

5. wrs46

wrs46 Formula 3

May 19, 2005
    QC, CANADA (&CH, &F)
    Full Name:
    Walter
    That probably explains why I see a lot of car wrecks (and I mean REALLY BAD WRECKS) coming by the truckload from Ontario to Quebec. They must allow any type of wreck/junk to be "repaired" and then sold as "like new" here in La Belle Province...

6. persian_pryde

persian_pryde Rookie

Mar 24, 2010
    #6 persian_pryde, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for the reply,

I was more curious I came across this ferrari

Can be bought in the 50's

Has salvage history but has been rebuilt, Im looking more for a toy something to brand my company with
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

PP......

If you're willing to write off the cost (literally) and then you can also do so corporately, I'd say go for it......but don't expect an easy resell, or any kind of profit.

James......

You can title a salvage car here in Alberta (except or flood cars), you need photos and original accident info, an inspection, frame measurements, etc, we brand them as a "rebuilt" car on the regi......

Wrs.......

A big ring of crooks importing salvage cars from Quebec to Alberta and washing the titles was busted out here a year or so ago. They moved something like 100 cars before they were caught.

8. wrs46

wrs46 Formula 3

May 19, 2005
    QC, CANADA (&CH, &F)
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Must have been their trucks I saw! Traveling frequently on the 20/401 I really did see a lot of mangled wrecks coming from the West (TO) across the border. This explains...Thanks!

Walter

9. MD911

MD911 Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    One of the reasons why I'll never buy a QC car.

10. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    When I was looking for my Ferrari, I was told to stay away from a Quebec car. That is unfair to the honest Quebec owners, but that is what I was told.

11. wrs46

wrs46 Formula 3

May 19, 2005
    QC, CANADA (&CH, &F)
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I'm on my 25th or 26th car...all but 2 purchased and sold in QC (the others 1-in US and 1-in Germany respectively). Never a problem with any of them. I would think that with just a minimal amount of due diligence you would never fall victim to such a scam.

If you are offered s#x by a gorgeous blonde would you refuse just because she might have aids? - My bet is that you would just take the "necessary precautions" and then go for it!

Same principle applies to used cars in Quebec and really everywhere...

I also heard that some crooks (maybe the same gang as mentioned by kds above) use the salvage car title to "re-baptise" stolen cars that will be shipped to the Middle East and Africa...

12. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Walter, the long-time problem we've had here in the Que/Ont border is lack communication with vehicle history. For the longest time it was Ontarians getting shafted with bad Montreal cars. Now it seems like the other way around.

Your right, due diligence is important. Carproof and UCDA helps us alot as does Carfax (Carproof and UCDA best for Canadian cars) But there are always things that slip through and many mistakes.

Just my .02.