Mondial cabriolet top video? | FerrariChat

Mondial cabriolet top video?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by pogobbler, Jan 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pogobbler

pogobbler Rookie

Aug 6, 2009
    Though I'm not yet currently in the market for a Ferrari, when I am, my preference would be to get a Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet. I've heard quite a few times about how relatively difficult lowering or raising the top can be and I just had to wonder if anyone has seen, made or would make a video of the process to post online, after all I've heard, I'm understandably curious about the procedure.

2. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    The top isn't that difficult once you get used to it. I would be happy to make a video if it weren't so cold outside. Unfortunately, operation of the top is not recommended below 40 degrees due to hardening of the rear window.

Dave

3. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    Ditto about the cold temps & not being able to make a video of the lowering/raising action; lowering the top is extremely easy. Takes all of thirty seconds (once the windows are lowered). Raising the top is only marginally more difficulty, but I raise the top alone, sometimes in the dark, without issue.

The single most potentially troublesome factor in the lowering or raising of the top is the rear windows. They must operate correctly, or the top will be stuck in whatever position it happened to be when they stopped working.

4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I've had difficulty with the final stowage. I can't get the boot to attach down properly. I've decided the boot has shrunken with age and will not fit. I still hope some day to get with another Mondial owner and compare dropping procedure to make sure I'm doing it properly. I wouldn't let this be the deterring factor, it's not that big an issue for the pleasure of driving the car. They are after all Ferraris not Miatas. If you want an easy top there are easy ones out there. A BMW will drop with a button.

5. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    The boot fit is my problem also. I ordered a new boot and it didn't fit either. It was the same size as the old boot. It seems our problem is the folding of the top. I have been told how to do this by members here, but a video would be really great. Being in Mich, I can wait for Spring for a video. I'll remind "davebdave" of his video offer then.

6. db6

db6 Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2010
    the top drops down and goes up extremely simply. There is only one bar that you have to pay attention to, it is shown in the owner's manual. It has a handle on it, you just need to be sure it is pushed back before pushing the top all the way down.

Other than that, it's hard to imagine a simpler manual top. Unlatch and push back to put down, just pull it up to put it up.

The leather covering piece is another story. They do shrink over the years and if not used, and can be hard to stretch into place.

7. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Has anyone cracked a windshield trying to latch the cab top, particularly in the winter? My mechanic was afraid to force the latches for fear it would pull too hard on the frame.

8. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Do you first fully extend the latch paddles with the thumb screw? Latch both, then unlatch one, back off the paddle then re-latch followed by the other side? This is time consuming but allows you to close the top without much force. Also, the best way to operate the latch is from outside of the car with one hand on the latch and the other outside of the top pushing down. Having discovered this technique (FChatter) I have no problem closing the top in cool weather even after leaving it down all summer.

The windshield frame on the Mondial is a Brick outhouse. I don't think you can bend it, but you can and eventually will break a latch if you don't have Ron's toggles.

dave

9. db6

db6 Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2010
    #9 db6, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
    the latches can be adjusted, as dave says, at least on the later mondials.

one thing you do need to be careful of when latching is that the "prongs" of the latches are going straight into the recepticles. If not, you can jam them and probably bust a latch.

I don't adjust the thumbscrews every time, like dave suggest (too much work), but I do highly agree with his suggestion of pushing down on the top while you latch it. By doing this, you take a lot of pressure off the latch. If everything is adjusted, it shouldn't take much force to close the latch. You shouldn't have to "force the latches," if that's the case, something needs to be adjusted.

10. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #10 JoeZaff, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
    It would only be an issue if your top has sat stowed for a significant period of time and, as a result, has shrunk significantly. In that instance, assuming you could even manage to put it up, the ultra stretched canvas would put a lot of stress on the windshield frame and the latches themselves. In the winter, I could definitely see this causing a windshield fracture at worst, and a broken latch at best. Either way...not a good thing. Our Mondials flex quite a bit over bumps, etc. Add that in, and you could have a recipe for disaster.

11. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Dave,
    Whenever somebody says that it is easy to raise and lower the top, I always think of you! Those thumb screws are key to getting the proper fit every time, albeit quite time consuming. Before I followed the above instructions, my top would either be way too loose, or I would almost break the latches trying to close it at a tighter setting. IMHO, until you have followed the process you have described above, it is impossible to appreciate just how well these tops can fit!

12. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    As others have said b/f: Get a set of Ron's toggles if you have a Mondial Cab!

No matter how careful and delicate you are, the originals will eventually break.

Cheers

13. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Hey Joe,
    To give credit where it is due, here is the post that turned the light on for me. . .

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96024&highlight=BluTan87Mondi

Dave

14. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I still have some of those toggles available if anyone needs them.

I also have a recommendation on getting the leather boot to relax and stretch back to (close) to its original size.

I have an old cobbler friend. He had me make a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water. Isopropyl about 75%, water 25% and put it in a spray bottle.

He told me to saturate the leather with the mixture and then try to slowly stretch it back in to shape by trying to put the boot back on the car. It works best to do this in the sun on a warm day. It also takes some time or a few try's.

I did this and I have to say that it really worked.

Don't forget to follow up with a leather conditioner.

Now for the disclaimer.......

You may want to try the mixture in an area that is not as visible first. I can say that it worked very well on my black boot.

Try at your own risk!!!

- Ron Frohock

15. Earthboundmisfit

Earthboundmisfit Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good choice!

16. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    As promised, here is a video of how we do it (not necessarialy how it should be done). My daughter ran the camera and we took a drive afterwards. This vid is a little corny but hopefully it's what you were looking for.

Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq_vyfBeMfo

17. RoPo54

RoPo54 Karting

Dec 18, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Your video is terrific. Thanks for sharing it.
    Rob

18. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #18 JoeZaff, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
    Awesome video. Your top operates infinitely more smoothly than mine! You have to show me the the little nuances to your technique when we meet.

BTW, gorgeous car.

19. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hello All

I just got mine back (yesterday in fact) after the winter fixes/adjustments. I had similar problems, and it was decided that something was bent. I had the company that worked on it over the winter go over it and they found the problem. For just a few bucks in Ferrari money (in other words, a relatively cheap repair for a Ferrari), they got it right and now the top stows 2 to 3 inches lower. I had trouble seeing in the rear view mirror before, not now. I used to not be able to snap all the fasteners, now they all fit and no areas are stretched or bulged because the whole thing didn't fit properly. I also did buy Ron's toggles, but that wasn't the problem. I'll keep them anyway for future problems. The small piece that is on the windshield that the conv. top clamps to broke on mine, and NJB in Columbus, OH got me a replacement for $98, and I bought 2 extras of these also for future problems.

The key words to remember, which are written in the owners' manual for the car is "Don't force it!". I think this is why mine got bent in the first place, but as already mentioned here, once you know it's right, it's not all that difficult to do quickly and easily with just one person.

Brian

20. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Now I'm curious what was bent, and how one finds a person so well versed in a 23 year old car as to know that something is bent.

21. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    Tip for boot installation...put the interior snaps on before you lower the roof, it makes life a lot easier.

22. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Great video. Honestly, I havent tried adjusting the screws per your video and have struggled with the clamping action.
    I cant wait to get my car out of storage to follow your instructions.
    You car looks absoutly amazing.
    - Ron

ps. Dont forget the trick that I was told, by an old cobbler. If you leather boot is tight or if it has shrunk, a 50/50 mix of alcohol with water will soften it so it can be re-shaped.

23. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Thanks Ron, I am sure you noticed your toggles in the video. Gotta have em.
    dave

24. Earthboundmisfit

Earthboundmisfit Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great video.

Great tip.