question about using ignition key position II | FerrariChat

question about using ignition key position II

Discussion in '308/328' started by bigodino, Mar 26, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Maybe a stupid question, but is it possible to run the ventilation fan with the engine off, or is this a bad idea?

The ventilation fan only works in the ignition key position II, which means the fuel pump is also working. With a carbed car I guess this will flood the carbs?

So bottom line: if I'm waiting in the car with the engine off, I'm either going to get hot real soon, or I could turn on the ventilation but flood the engine?

TIA

2. Bones2U

Bones2U Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2008
    Ontario
    Yes, basically. Suck doesn't it!

3. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    #3 flyngti, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
    No. When the fuel pump is running, fuel goes through the lines to fill the carb float bowls. When the bowls are full, the float closes the needle valve and no more fuel goes into the bowl. Excess fuel goes back into the tank via the return hose on the front right carb. As long as your needle valves are in good shape and do not leak, the floats will keep the carb from flooding when the pump is running. This applies whether the engine is running or not.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This is correct ...it should not flood the engine, just sitting there.....open the door or roll down the window....

If ya wanna sit around, go to a bench in the Park!!!!!!