Why no automatic shifting in Ice Mode? | FerrariChat

Why no automatic shifting in Ice Mode?

Discussion in '612/599' started by unotaz, Mar 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #1 unotaz, Mar 27, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
    As titled, I find it weird that in my car there is automatic mode option for every single mode except ICE mode. At least, when I dialed to ICE, the "auto" sign disappears in my gear indicator screen. Why is that?

And what is that up/down arrow in the gear indicator?

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Have you driven the car in ICE mode? It is fully automatic and the "automatic" mode indicator light is not there because there is no other mode from which to distinguish automatic. ICE = Automatic

3. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi,
    I just driven the car in the ICE mode and it is kind of weird. I don't know how to describe it because it would let you upshift manually but on downshifts, it would not allow you to do so unless the car reaches a certain speed. So it's kind of semi-automatic, where the driver still needs to do the upshifting for the car.

When I drive the car in ICE mode, it's not fully automatic for sure.

Anybody has experience with this?

4. nakrulz

nakrulz Rookie

Dec 18, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wilson
    Yes its normal for the downshifting to be done automatically and especially in low revs. To my knowledge, it is done so to limit manual downshifting which can result in high engine revs producing too much torque which can spin the rear tires during snow driving. After all, 599 produces too much power for snow drive :)

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Michael- ICE mode is put there primarily to sell clutches, since it starts in second gear to prevent wheel spin, and will wear out a clutch faster than driving around in reverse. I know you had 4" of snow in Houston this year, and you may get 4" total over the next decade, but ICE mode in Houston is about as useful as teats on a bull.

Just curious, are we? A good smell or two of burned clutch lining may sate your curiosity.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

6. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Terry,
    Actually, I was just testing the system because I recently changed my suspension to the Novitec lift system and it comes with the CAN bypass. I was just playing with each mode to make sure there was no problem with the computer.

I have never driven the car in snow mode before, so I was just kind of puzzled with the weird setting.

Michael

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Michael- I have had my F1 575M for about two years so far, and have never pushed either the auto or low traction buttons. Have not used launch control, either. Guess I am not the curious type.

Taz
    Terry Phillips