Advice on care of signed jersey | FerrariChat

Advice on care of signed jersey

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Spotcheckbilly, Mar 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spotcheckbilly

Spotcheckbilly Karting

Oct 6, 2006
    Peachtree City, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Not sure Ferrari chat is the right place to ask this, but here goes. Not too long ago, I purchased a game used hockey jersey - CCM circa 1996. The jersey came directly from the player himself and as a result it was signed for me.
    While I would not wear it often at all, I do occasionally put it on.
    Would there be any way to launder it if necessary without risking damage to the signature?
    Secondly, the tag on the inside specifically says "Do not dry clean".
    Can anyone enlighten me to the potential dangers of dry cleaning such a jersey?
    Perhaps I'd be best off forgetting wearing it and have it mounted and framed.

Thanks...

Scott

2. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Although you don't say what it was signed with I doubt that there is any way to preserve the signature when laundering the item. I'd go with the framing idea if it is something that you want to keep.

3. Spotcheckbilly

Spotcheckbilly Karting

Oct 6, 2006
    Peachtree City, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The jersey was signed with a black Sharpie. I have photos of the signing that verify everything.
    Yes, it's something I very much want to keep.
    I don't know too many folks who have a signed game used Canadiens jersey from a player who has had his number retired.
    There is a bit of a twist to that comment.

Thanks...

Scott

4. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Frame it. Buy another one (not gameworn) to wear.

5. Waldoonay

Waldoonay Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2007
    Ottawa/Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Walid Z
    If you really want to keep wearing it from time to time, when you take it off, leave it in the freezer with a box of baking soda for a bit.

6. Spotcheckbilly

Spotcheckbilly Karting

Oct 6, 2006
    Peachtree City, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That sounds like a bit of an odd suggestion. I don't think I'd be terribly inclined to do that with such a cherished item. Please explain why you suggest I should do that - what would that do?

Thanks -

Scott