OIL LEAKS IN 308 QV | FerrariChat

OIL LEAKS IN 308 QV

Discussion in '308/328' started by KISSLUST, Mar 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KISSLUST

KISSLUST Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    Birmingham Alabama
    Full Name:
    Jason M
    Hello,

I am purchasing my 1st Ferrari and was wondering if engine oil leaks are common for these cars.

2. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    If it is not leaking, thats how you know there is no oil in it. :)

3. Brian Elliston

Brian Elliston F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Brian Elliston
    There is no reason they should leak, but yes it is common. Better to fix the leaks. The oil hose to the oil cooler is a big culprit and an easy $100 fix at your local hose shop.

4. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    The same is said in the vintage and collector car circles. ;)

5. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    They are about as common as oil seepage in any 30+ year old car whether it is a Porsche, Ford, Chevy, Datsun....Find one with a fresh, engine out service by a diligent mechanic, and you may possibly be weep free for a while. If you can't stand a drop on the floor every once in a while, you should stick to newer cars, regardless of manufacturer.

6. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Are you looking at a car with an active leak? Or just inquiring as you consider options?

If it has an active leak, my concern would be based on where the leak was coming from. Seepage from the pan, pan plug or pan bolts would be pretty common. I've heard of some people dropping their oil pans and coating the inside of the pan with an epoxy as the pans are quite porous, especially after 25-30 years.

If a cam seal or cam cover has an active leak I'd be concerned, could be indicitive of a service not being performed on the car for some time, or was recently been performed but not done right.

If the head gasket is leaking I'd be very cautious and take into consideration the cost of an engine out service into the purchase price of the car.

All this should be factored into the purchase price. You want to see service records, and you want a third party to perform a PPI. Even if you are mechanically experienced you want a third party doing the PPI, as the emotion of making the purchase of such a special car could make you overlook or not consider something wrong.

Phil

7. KISSLUST

KISSLUST Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    Birmingham Alabama
    Full Name:
    Jason M
    #7 KISSLUST, Mar 28, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
    Thanks all for your insight... If I would have thought about it I would have looked at other threads as this topic has been well covered. I was just curious of locations and frequency of these leaks.. Against your advice I am not going to do a PPI on this car as I feel that the price is taking into account that it needs a major service done. Basically it is an amazing deal and I am buying it from another FC member whom I believe is honest and a good guy. I am so ready to receive my 85 QV and I will finally be able to embark on what was a dream !!

8. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    I had a 85qv and no leaks what so ever,one time I had a leak after a major and found it to be in the front bank by the cam seal,took off the cover replaced the seal and no more leaks. If yours is leaking its becuase the seals haven't been done right or need attenion,either way no they shouldn't leak no matter how old it is,thats my 2cents

9. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    #9 Impactco, Mar 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. KISSLUST

KISSLUST Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    Birmingham Alabama
    Full Name:
    Jason M
    Don't worry I will.. She could not have gone to a better home...

11. db6

db6 Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2010
    That was a great deal on a beautiful Euro QV. I in no way, shape or form have room for another car, but that one was sooo tempting. I knew that one would go quickly.

Congrat and enjoy it!

12. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    #12 Impactco, Mar 29, 2010
  13. KISSLUST

KISSLUST Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    Birmingham Alabama
    Full Name:
    Jason M
    #13 KISSLUST, Apr 1, 2010
  14. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    #14 Impactco, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
    Congrats! Now go drive it to make up for the miles I didn't put on it in the past 2 years! Nice hat!

15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
  16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Congratulations! Looks great. Oil spots are your new "red badge of courage". Mine leaked like party-goers at Mardi Gras. But, she kept on running!

Enjoy!

17. KISSLUST

KISSLUST Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    Birmingham Alabama
    Full Name:
    Jason M
    Guy's she must really love Alabama her first night at her new home and not one little drip...

18. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    Might be empty... JK

I would check the oil level anyway. Drive the car, shut it down and wait 15 minutes then check the dipstick.

19. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    A friend of mine who goes way back with Ferraris has a favorite answer to this question:
    There are 2 kinds of Ferraris:
    Those that leak oil,
    and those that are about to.

I've done quite a few majors in my day. Almost every one I've done hasn't leaked for at least a couple of years. EXCEPT for my own car that's always had at least one minor leak somewhere. I just found out why one cam seal leaked after the major in '02. In spite of being well aware of the problem & breaking the sharp edges at the groove bottom, I'd managed to pinch a seal housing o-ring(DUH). Yes, it was the front bank intake o-ring that no way can you see what's going on afterwards.

20. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    #20 ramosel, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
    That's an analog of the Brit race car adage:
    There are 2 kinds of British racing cars
    Those that leak oil,
    and those that are out of oil.

Rick
    (my 2nd Dad and I run a Factory Lotus Cortina <Consul>)

21. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA &amp; Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    Mike, you sold him your hat too??!!

22. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    It's appropriate that he should have one.

He'll have to buy his own drip tray for the garage floor though :)