Flipping my old car | FerrariChat

Flipping my old car

Discussion in '348/355' started by Drew_4RE, Mar 30, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    So I sold the 348 on ebay a month or so ago. Now the new owner is on there trying to flip it for a premium (big!). Normally wouldn't be an issue but he's claiming the car is 100% perfect with a recent belt service!

I believe the belts were last done in 06 or 04 even. I disclosed every little issue to him and he's pitching it as pristine now. Its not, but its a good driver. rock chips up front, A/C blows on/off randomly, scratch on targa top, crack in front plastic fender area. Little issues, but I'd be pissed if I thought it was pristine and then got this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Very-nice-348-TS-belt-service-done-only-39k-308-328-355_W0QQitemZ190380626323QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item2c5391d193

Auction ended, but it will be back...

2. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Unfortunately thats how some people roll......

3. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Obviously it is worth a premium because it has "no squeeks".

4. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    Who cares. You accepted his offer. I hope he gets as much $$ as he can. Are you sure he didn't fix those small issues already?

5. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    The brotherhood cares that someone doesn't buy a car thats misrepresented! And no, I don't have sellers remorse, thats not the issue.

You can clearly see in the pic that there is still a crack in the front spoiler. If thats still there, then the rest should be there too.

6. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Im sure the new buyer will care when he gets a mis represented 348........
    Obviously Drew is an honest guy and doesnt want somebody to get other than what they paid for.

7. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    Any intelligent buyer shouldn't expect a 20 year old car with mileage on it to be in 100% condition. And if the cracked spoiler is visible in ad, then I think it's the buyers responsibility to ask questions. Anyone who buys a car sight unseen and expects it to be 100% perfect is dellusional.

However, I agree that a car should not be misrepresented. But they have been since the beginning of commerce, so it's nothing unexpected. My Ferrari was listed on ebay, but you'd be correct to assume I actually drove to the dealership [in another state] to see the car in person before i purchased it.

I'm not saying the seller is correct for overstating it's condition; but I have come to expect that from most any used item for sale. Buyers need to perform due dilligence as well.

Rules change for NEW items though. I can buy a brand new item sight unseen and expect it to be 100%.

8. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    caveat emptor - everywhere, but especially on ebay.

9. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I hope he did fix a few things and that brings the price up. And all he said was the the belts were done. He didn't say recently. They were in fact done and he must have the records.
    We need more people to fix issues on these cars and then sell them. Instead of ignoring problems with the car and dumping it for whatever it will bring.
    Maybe the next owner will love the car and spends months or years making sure everything is perfect.
    They aren't making any more of these. Eventually it will happen....

10. unfunnyclown

unfunnyclown Karting

Jan 29, 2010
    it really irks me the people through the words PERFECT and PRISTINE around on ebay.

Perfect means just that. Brand new condition. Not perfect for its age.

You also see the "for its age" in the descriptions alot. Once again, it shouldn't matter when describing something honestly.

Megan Fox is hot means Megan Fox is Hot. Sandra Bullock is hot for her age means she isn't in the same condition as she was 20 years ago, IE not hot, but less then hot. Cameron Diaz is hot for a block of shoe leather, IE I will rip on her any chance I get:)

I do agree about the NEW thing to. New means same as you would by off the store shelf. not NEW but out of the shrink wrap to make sure everything in the package was there (or to look at it and then put it back and sell it as new) cuz thats not new, thats used.

11. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    Drew

this car is priceless because it was owned by you!!!!

the new owner forgot to mention in his ad that the car was owned by you.
    instantly makes it worth alot more

12. jmiff348

jmiff348 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
    $38.9k seems like a very strong price for a 40k mile 348 that doesn't come with a fresh major (IMHO). Hopefully the winning bidder did his/her homework, PPI, etc, first.

Drew, you're a standup guy for disclosing those flaws to your buyer in advance. That's the way it should be done.

13. Interian

Interian Karting

Jul 22, 2008
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Can I suggest that you add the VIN to the post. I know when I was looking at cars, I would search the VIN to find information about the history of the potential cars.

14. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Good idea

ZFFRG36A6M0089830

From ebay ad:

1991 Ferrar 348 GT targa top with ONLY 39k complete engine out belt service done. New clutch, brakes & tires. Air blows cold and everything works as it should. Car looks amazing and runs & drives perfect! No squeeks or funny noises even the safety belts work perfect. I have all the books, service records, cover for the targa top and tool kit.

ONLY $38900.00
    call or email for more details: 317-525-5002

15. 50hdmc

50hdmc Formula 3

Oct 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    mark s
    When you sold him the car, did you properly sign off the title and fill in the new buyers information? If you didn't then he can "flip" the car as you say, without paying the tax, title transfer etc.

You sold the car for what you thought was a fair price. He thinks it is worth more and he is willing to take that gamble......

I do appreciate the "warning" but I am afraid car dealers repeat this kind of thing every day. I agree with those who believe in due diligence when buying these cars....care to tell us what you sold it to him for? (THAT info may help a prospective buyer)

16. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    He's making about 8k on the car if he sells it for what he's asking. I sold it for a couple grand over wholesale (quoted trade in).

"buyer beware", well thats exactly what I'm trying to help with. I'm trying to make the buyer 'aware'. I think its ridiculous to come on this thread and even mention, "well, the buyer should know to get it inspected." Of course they should. I'm just letting the people know upfront about the real issues and that the car is misrepresented.

17. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    And...

I'm not saying the car is a lemon, it just has little issues that don't make it perfect. And one big one.

I put a lot of money into the car in the last year as I had to do the clutch twice! (transport burnt it out after the first time.)

The one big issue is that there is a crack in the windshield. Disclosed to the buyer when I sold it. 4-5k to fix. Its still there in his pics but no mention of it in the ad.

18. 50hdmc

50hdmc Formula 3

Oct 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    mark s
    Drew, Please don't misinterpret.....I certainly understand and appreciate your effort to keep someone from getting ripped off.

19. 50hdmc

50hdmc Formula 3

Oct 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    mark s
    ...the windshields are on ebay for 800 bucks...

20. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    I was quoted between 800-1500 depending on if it had the antenna in it. Then you need to replace the frame + labor. I had two separate quotes both between 4-5k

21. 355tsr

355tsr Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2010
    I bought a windsheild on ebay for $899 great glass fit perfect, but try and talk the guys replacing it to use your old trim (frame) a new trim is $840 ,they were able to spend about a hour cleaning mine and it was very usable.

22. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    WTF?

23. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    #23 Drew_4RE, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  24. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
  25. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    How exactly does he know that a 20 year old car has never seen rain?