Wheels Spacers for fitting 16" 308 Wheels to 400 for sale on Ebay | FerrariChat

Wheels Spacers for fitting 16" 308 Wheels to 400 for sale on Ebay

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by aleventhal, Mar 31, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Now that my 400i (#049773) has sold, I am selling the wheel spacers that I used to mount the 16" wheels on ebay. The auction is at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120551099617

These spacers allow the fitting of real or reproduction 16" 308qv wheels to a 400 or 400i with no other modifications - you even use the original 400 wheel bolts. They also allow the fitment of 328 wheels (this is what I ran on #049773) but this requires a minor modification to the front wheels (no big deal - and well documented by me on this forum when I did it).

Anyway, if anyone wants to get away from the crappy and expensive TRXs, here is your chance.

**Mods, i think this post is OK but if it is not please delete.

Alex

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Alex

Great idea. And, congrats on the sale. Did a FChatter buy it?

3. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Ash:

I sold the car for cash to Peter Sweeney of Forza in CT. From my perspective, it was a straight cash deal - not a consigment. I had no financial interest whatsoever in Peter's subsequent sale.

Peter has sold the car on now, though, (pretty quickly, at that) to a buyer in Germany via a fellow FChatter who apparently helps the German buyer buy cars in the US. In short, everyone is happy and it seems to have been a painless transaction for all concerned. I won't name any of the parties beyond Peter, but they are fee to chime in here, of course.

FWIW, Peter was, as always, an absolutle Gentleman and it was absolutely worth his vig to get the car sold cleanly in one phone call when I was ready to part with it: No dealing with timewasters or tirekickers, no PPI, no muss, no fuss.

Thanks for asking and for the kind words.

A

4. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #4 Ashman, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010

Alex:

Interesting that the car is going to Germany. Oh well. Maybe the new owner will chime into this group for what is a pretty sizable European contingent. Since there are probably more of these cars in Euroland than here, it only makes sense!

Coincidentally a few months ago I sold a vintage race car to a guy in Switzerland. Weak dollar and strong Swiss Franc helped deal with price and the shipping logistics, I guess. I did it pretty much the same way you did with Peter. Sold it to the dealer and he sold it on to the buyer. If the buyer had a problem, he would have had to work it out with the dealer and I was out of the picture. All the shipping went smoothly and the buyer emailed me the photo of his new (my old) vintage race car next to his Jaguar E-type.

John

PS I've met Peter a few times and all accounts that I have heard match up with your experience. A good, honest guy.

5. Allard54

Allard54 Karting

Dec 11, 2009
    CT.
    Full Name:
    Marcel Perlman Ph.D.
    will the spacers and wheels fit an 86 412? Thanks ,Marc

6. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    No - these spacers won't fit a 412 - but I think you are in luck as they also should not be necessary. My understanding is that any of the "ABS" wheels (late 328 / Mondial 3.2, 348, 355, etc. will bolt on your 412 with no mods...but I have not tried it and YMMV...

A

7. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Alex
    Does the 308qv and 328 have the same size (width) front and rear wheels? If not, which ones do you use?
    Ken

8. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    THe 308 and 328 wheels have 1 inch wider rears than fronts. When using them on the 400, you can run all four tires the same size or wider rears as you wish - lots of tire choice in 16". Alternately, you can run 4 308 or 328 fronts if you want to (that is what I did on #049773, but I only did it so I could rotate tires, since I covered a lot of miles).

Basically, since the rim width is only 1" difference, you have lots of leeway to do whatever you want. The only thing you lose with the staggered wheels on a 400 is the ability to rotate rims front to rear - not a big deal considering how little mileage most of these cars cover.

A

9. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Alex
    How about 4 308 rears? I think I saw that once.

BTW I drive close to 5000 miles per year with my car, but I am not in favor of tire rotation in any case. I usually buy two at a time to match wear.
    Ken

10. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Ken:

Sure, 4 fronts or 4 rears would work fine. I went with 4 fronts so I could run narrower tires for my snow tires, and since fronts were a bit cheaper than rears. Anyway, either would work if you are buying new 328 wheels from Ferrari (which is what I did - they were still available, at least a few years ago). If you want the repro 308 wheels, they only come as a set of 2 front / 2 rear anyway.

Hope this helps,

A

11. huligan

huligan Rookie

Mar 9, 2010
    Columbus, OH
    if the buyer wants to send these my way first, i will run these through the CMM and can make some "duplicates" on the CNC. If anyone is interested just PM me.