Trouble with Testarossa | FerrariChat

Trouble with Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Mar 26, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #1 Mr.Chairman, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
    Greetings all.. just picked vehicle up last night for its engine out service. distance of about 70 miles from my house - conditions dry to very light rain. Got two blocks away from my house had to jamb on the brakes because some idiot opened the door (street side) rpm's dropped then a buzzing sound. Vehicle did not stall. Got her in the garage and shut her down. Turn the ignition key to position one and head a very lound buzzing sound from fuel pumps (both because the buzzing was in unison) for 1.0 - 1.5 seconds then went off. Started car and buzzing returned strong smell of fuel.. Waited a few minutes tried again same thing. Waited a few more minutes turned key to position 1 and heard a thump and fired her up - all seemed o.k.. Next test 15 minutes later buzzing returns.. same as before o.k.. Left alone till this afternoon.. Got in the car fired her up and no buzzing and running o.k. for about 3 minutes while I had mechanic on the phone - shut her down. Was getting ready to take her out for a drive to heat her up (as a test drive) and when I cranked her up and howling sound was heard. She started but was running poorly and fuel was spewing from the pipes... Shut her down - tried again - as she is cranking I have a loud howling sound and she does not want to turn over - fuel again spewing from the tail pipes.. If I work the throttle I can get her to turn over but she runs poor and howl is still present. Mechanic coming over this afternoon - which makes me happy but I was hoping to pick some brains here and get some input. Any ideas boys

R

2. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    That Sucks!

Timing issue?

3. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Doubt it.. I made it almost all the way home - about 60-70 miles.. Don't think it has anything to do with timing.. I am thinking more fuel hose related.. Hoses were changed while it was in for the service but I am baffled by this. I hope its something silly. I drove her 70 miles to get the service done so she was fine with no issues.. It was just time to do the 30K service.

R

4. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    If the timing belt skipped? Ran good for 70 miles and then the belt slipped or skipped a tooth?

5. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    #5 UpNorth, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
    Have the fuel pumps been changed during major? Or fuel accumulators?

6. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Negative.. All were ok prior to service... When both pumps are buzzing its leading me away from the pumps themselves.. That means both pumps and accumilators went bad at the exact same time. I think highly unlikely..

R

7. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    "Jeopardy waiting music"

8. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    So True.. lol.. I am just hoping he comes overs and says.. Oh... here is your problem and walla.. All is fixed... But when he heard the howling over the phone he said.. "what is that?" So I am concerned.. We keep you guys updated.

R

9. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Hmmmm...interesting, same problem I'm having. Both pumps start buzzing in unison, car runs rough....starved for fuel.

You can hear the hum inside the cabin. I cleaned the ground connectors to death as I had the car up on the jack stands for the coolant change last week.

....buzzing returned today. Went out to dinner this evening....no buzzing.

I'll be interested in what you find.

But....fuel spewing out of the muffler is really allot of fuel. It sounds like really high pressure as the CIS injectors are pressure opened....not electrically.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

10. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #10 Mr.Chairman, Mar 27, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
    Turned out to be water vs. fuel. (some fuel but not alot). Howling from coming fro the air pump. The bearing seized and created the problem. He too the pump belt off and all was good. Went for a drive after he left and boom.. Upper coolant hose blew spewing hot coolant all over the place. I am lucky I got her home watching the temp gauge and turning her off to coast most of the way. Its getting towed back today. Things happen - what can you do.. Buzzing never returned... We are baffled on that one.. Shamile... Did the buzz happen after braking hard or a sudden drop in RPM (ex. braking hard in gear and just making it with the clutch meaning RPM dropping to almost stall and then she recovers.. Some times the left foot is not as fast as you like to push the clutch in..

R

11. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    #11 KENCO, Mar 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good news it is not a major problem, just a real PITA.

I will wait until others chime in and confirm, but there are alot of us out here who do not use the air pump "remove belt" with no problems.

This is the actual Ferrari air pump delete kit I used............
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

On my 91 Testarossa, the buzzing (both pumps at the same time) only happens when I've been driving for awhile. I can start the car and run errands....then all of a sudden, I can hear a humming sound through the cabin (traced to the fuel pumps) ....car starts to run slightly rough....starved for fuel....no extra fuel smell...so not flooding.

Car can then sit in the garage for a couple of hours.....start and runs fine. This only happens intermittently and only when I've been driving for more than a hour.

BTW, got you PM...I'll call you later today. :)

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

13. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #13 Mr.Chairman, Mar 27, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
    What a drain.. 1st tow guy shows up with only two planks of wood and has no clue on how to get her on the flat bed.. That was draining.. I sent him home. Second guy just showed up and he was experienced and knew what he was doing. Off she goes.. As a side note just wanted to advise that after the water hose blew last night Jim (mechanic) made a u turn and came back to my house. Pretty cool for your mechanic to do that.. Will keep all updated as we go.. I am drained. Just drained.. I need to be shot with one of those dart guns that put elephants down in the jungle and just wake up and find my car back in my garage.

Shamile.. thanks for speaking with me today.. You kind of confirmed that it was not the fuel pumps I heard buzzing.. (by how you described it when your pumps were buzzing.) Still don't know what it was but it never came back.. I'll consider it a dead issue till it returns.

Robbie

14. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #14 Mr.Chairman, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
    Well folks just got her back this evening and all is better and good.. I am so happy with how she turned out. This is the best she has ever run. She runs better then ever. Just want to take this time to really thank Jim at Pocono Sportcar for all his help and efforts. Turned out one of the small coolant hoses that connects the hard lines failed (not at the clamp but the actual hose)and is now replaced and she is good as new (sh*t happens). Pressure test completed as well and she got a clean bill of health. Mechanics like Jim are few and far between.. We should all have someone like Jim in our neighborhood to service our cars. All the hours spent on the car and taking the time to drive approx. 90 miles to my house then back again really shows how much pride and care is taken when completing services to his customers. Big props to Jim and he will always be taking care of any repairs or service needs for my Ferrari.. Can't thank you enough!! A total PRO..

Be well all... Photos and write up to follow tomorrow.. Exhausted from the drive but it was so much fun getting her back and laying into her.. and she was b*tchy tonite.. lol

R

15. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Glad to hear everything got worked out. Sometimes cars can be an incredible stress when you are having to deal with others.

16. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Glad she is back in your hands and kudos to Jim for really going the extra (90) mile to take car of you and your car.

Any ideas on the mystery virations?

CC

17. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    +1.

18. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    And a +2 there. Always good to have a happy ending. Part of the reason we put up with these cars is this 'love, hate, disappointment, elation' cycle. Time for you two to kiss and make up... 'til next time! Enjoy.

Glad your technician is as passionate as you are. Makes a big difference.

19. traderjet4

traderjet4 Karting

Nov 13, 2006
    long Island
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Great to here all is well, let us know exactly which water hose broke.... Joe

20. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    All these symtoms from a broken water hose? Glad it's all sorted now. Nightmare over for now. Happy trails!

21. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #21 Mr.Chairman, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
    Not all from a water hose... Howling sound was the air pump bearing.. It seized so we took the belt off. I was having some noise that was puzzling me months back and it was the air pump on her way out.. Thank god we caught it in time. The hose that failed was the small coolant hose on top. Small diameter hose.. God knows how long some of this sh*t stays on the shelves.. Rubber hoses age as they sit on the shelf.. The buzzing sound never returned after we checked over and re-seated electrical connections.. Just really glad to have her back.. This car definitely does not like to have her painties down and being in for service work.. She fights you the entire way.. What a b*tch... That why I love her.. lol Thanks for all the well wishes... Drive on TR brothers..

R

22. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Robbie from now on keep her knickers clean and skimpy and all will be well.

From a European :)

P

23. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Excellent advise.. Will do.. lol

24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    We had a hose like that fail just after a service on a 355 for a very good client. Sometimes stuff happens no matter how hard you try. For what it is worth we have switched over to Dave Helms hoses for that reason. Its expensive but the quality is extraordinary and one job coming back on the hook will pay for a truck load of hose.

My TR air pump clutch has tried a time or two to do that too. The trick is to drive it more.

25. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #25 Mr.Chairman, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
    Driving it more is certainly not the issue.. I plan on driving her alot as I always do. I have her 3 + years and the 30K was always on my mind when I got her.. I did not trust or should I say was not sure of who did the service before I owned the car. I had a receipt but things were not right under the engine lid. Bolts missing, rear timing covers on backwards, tension bearing not changed etc.. When Jim dropped the engine we saw of all this so he had a mess to clean up and make her right.. I also heard of that hose that Dave Helms supplies.. Will get it next time around.. Funds were tight this year and the brake vacuum pump was a surpise that I was not ready for.. that set me back an extra $1,300.00. The disturbing part is that the guy that did the previous service put that broken pump back and tossed the broken sprocket piece away... If that rubber o ring would have failed I would have lost a cam and valves on the left side of the engine as a result of oil starvation... She would have bled out thru that seal. Thank god Jim at Pocono looked over everything and discovered all the issues.

Be Well

R