Summer Internship in NYC | FerrariChat

Summer Internship in NYC

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Ferrariman355, Mar 21, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    I'll be in NYC during the summer, trying to get an internship out at Jet Blue's headquarters. My main problem is finding the right housing. Right now I have on the table: $2460 for 10 weeks in the summer at NYU. It's shared housing - no AC, sort of by the stations.

Is this a good deal or could I find better?

I'm coming from USC, where I thought was the most expensive housing I've been in. Not anymore...:D

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    It's been too many years since I was a summer intern in NYC so I can't comment on the relative value of that deal. $2,460 is about $984/month, which is pretty low though. I think decent studios rent for $1,500/month or so. Other people here will have a better sense of the going rates.

My wife and I did rent a place with another B-School classmate in Washington Square Village at NYU when we were here for that internship. It was a nice two bedroom in a modern building and at a reasonable rate. We rented from a professor who was off to Egypt for the summer. The apartment did have AC, which I would think is just about mandatory to have if you want to be comfortable.

NYU is a huge place, so keep looking for the right place and then make up your mind.

Living in the Village was a great experience for the summer. The bars, restaurants, jazzclubs and nightclubs are plentiful plus you also are right next door to SoHo and the Lower East Side and not far from Tribeca. Going uptown is easy since you just pick the East Side or West Side subway lines and don't have to worry about going crosstown.

I don't know how far Jet Blue is so take your commuting time and route into consideration.

Good luck!

3. J430S

J430S Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2008
    NY
    Full Name:
    John M
    NYU dorms are in great locations. No a/c in New York during the summer is going to be tough. Have you tried any other schools? Brooklyn College, St. Johns and LIU are a pretty easy (for NY) commute to Forest Hills. There are probablly many more that don't come to mind.
    Good Luck

4. enbanfe

enbanfe Karting

Jan 25, 2006
    Princeton NJ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Fight On. Are you in Business School at 'SC? I got my MBA there in 1996.

Have you checked Craigslist? http://newyork.craigslist.org/sub/ $2460 for 10 weeks is pretty cheap.

I think JetBlue is out in Queens, and the E, F, and V trains would be pretty convenient to NYU.

5. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    #5 Ferrariman355, Mar 24, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
    Thanks for the tips everyone.

Yup, USC undergrad in my third year at the business school. Fight on!

Alright, I'm going to offer someone $2000 cash! for a place to live for 10 weeks anywhere near a subway line. That is an excellent deal! you can put that you helped out a poor college student on your resume. Ha!

The best option so far is $2700 for 9 weeks near NYU. No AC, sharing a room with 2 other people, 1 bathroom. No AC. Plus a $500 deposit.

I shall be broke for the summer. :D

6. l2ed_21

l2ed_21 Rookie

Nov 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I know this has nothing to do with your post, but just wanted to point out that we have another Trojan at Marshall (undergrad) here too :D the name's Raf, nice to meet ya.

Good luck with your summer plans!

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Every single guy in college should always have several Trojans in his back pocket!

:D

8. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    Single?! How about every guy on campus - haha

Fight On Raf!

9. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    Jetblue is flying me out tomorrow for an interview on thursday! First stage of landing the position!

Need to figure out something to do while I'm there, I have about 4 hours to kill before my flight back to LA. Suggestions?

10. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    So...I got the job!!!!

Now need a place to live. Ha!

The cheapest I've found is around $3100 :(. Expensive, I'm just a Texan who grew up with knowing $3100 will get you a 5bed/3bath, 5acre house in Texas.

11. PorscheTurboS

PorscheTurboS Karting

Nov 3, 2005
    Jersey shore
    Full Name:
    Patrick Birde
    haha thats nyc for ya, I spent a year after high school living there on my own, the speed at which my bank account hit 0 was pretty amazing, it was one hell of a time tho, it was worth every penny :) NYC really is the greatest city on the planet bar none.