need your opinion repair estimate | Page 2 | FerrariChat

need your opinion repair estimate

Discussion in '308/328' started by KISSLUST, Mar 30, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eurogt4

eurogt4 Karting

Apr 15, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would think that if you ground a shim, you would install it with the ground side facing down so that the sliding action of the camshaft would work on the untouched top surface.

2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    If the waterpump is an original 'big bearing' water pump, I would have it rebuilt. That way you know exactly what you are getting (bearing quality etc), and it is much cheaper. I cannot figure out the hours. I guess that is correct 'by the book', but no way does it take half that long to do the job if the mechanic in question has done one or two before. Better then taking it to some dealers where the mechanics have never touched a 308. Run!

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ding, ding, ding, ding.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Take off the hood, discharge the A/C and remove the compressor. Remove the fuel distributor, remove both valve covers, adjust the valves, remove all 4 cams and replace all the seals. Replace all the belts and the tensioner bearings, retime the cams. Remove and replace or rebuild the waterpump. Put it all back together, recharge the A/C. Tune it, reinstall the hood and test drive it in less than 12.5 hours?

You sir are full of ***** and idiots like you justifiably give the internet a bad name.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Don't forget the time you spend on the internet learning how to do it first.

I am not kidding, this actually happened to me one time here in town (it wasn't my for belts, though). A guy charged me for this.

That's reason #341 why you go to a shop with experience instead of using a first-timer

6. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Either that or I just put mechanics who charge 30 hours labor to do this on Front street and called them on their bullcrap. Honestly, I don't care what gets charged. I deal with scummy plaintiff attorneys daily who are the KINGS of scum and sewage slinging.

The very first major I ever performed (on my own car) required all of 3 engine shims, included rebuilding carbs, rebuilding waterpump, and that was done in a weeks time working on it after work a few hours each evening. No more than 20 hours my first time.

However, IF the cams required retiming, I would account for quite a bit more time. Also, IF the car was an utter jack-hole mess that was previously wrenched on by some crackhead, I would account for more time. There is obviously no way of completely knowing these things into one is into the project.

On another note, I have 4 solid hours into pulling the engine and I have maybe another 3-4 hrs to go. Also my first time. I believe book time calls for 14 hours.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Bullschit.

8. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Next time, I'll use a stopwatch lol

9. RoPo54

RoPo54 Karting

Dec 18, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob

Shame on you, lvferraripilot! Now, you have managed to have upset all of us plaintiff's attorneys, too!
    Rob

10. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Hey, not all are scum. Many are dear friends of mine, BUT some of them are really down there lol.

11. RoPo54

RoPo54 Karting

Dec 18, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    All right . . . you are forgiven for painting with a much too broad brush.
    Rob

12. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Surprisingly, I don't think that is too far out of whack with what mechanics are charging around here. I'm 90 miles north of B'ham and a local independent shop that does work on my wife's missile...err....Toyota charges $85 per hour.

13. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    I wouldn't take it personal, Tommy. If he doesn't know you that well, he may just be getting a second opinion. I've had well meaning friends give me recommendations that I later decided against.

If you don't wrench on cars very much, you can be easily deluded into thinking your mechanic is great because he's such a nice guy and his wife works the office and gives you cookies. He may not know you well enough to know that's probably not the case here.

As far as the quote goes, I don't think the hours are too out of line. I did all that stuff to my car 2 years ago and it took me and a friend WAY more time than that. Of course it was the first time I'd gotten that deep into the car so we went really slow.

14. KISSLUST

KISSLUST Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    Birmingham Alabama
    Full Name:
    Jason M
    I really do appreciate all of your opinions as I get initiated into FERRARI world... I just didn't want to get taken for a ride by a shop just b/c it is a Ferrari. I really want to enjoy my dream. I rather have it done right the 1st time. So thanks to Tommy I will either go to HESCO or to Atlanta to see Ron.

My dad always said "Do it right do it light, do it wrong do it long!"

15. Dinodog

Dinodog Karting

Sep 2, 2009
    Birmingham,Alabama
    Full Name:
    Dean Matthews
    I'm going to show this estimate to my wife...Then she can see how much $$$$ I'm saving by working on my 308 all the time!! She has the nerve to call it my MISTRESS !! Imagine being jealous of a car...Oh well......

I would trust Lee to do the job, and do it right. I've known Lee for years and raced an Alfa GTV that he built and serviced which was meticulously prepared and was incredibly fast for a 2 liter car. I have also driven a 308 a Barber's that he's done a few modifications to that was a wonderfully performing 2vi car. If something on my 308 needs fixing that I can't repair myself, that is where I would take it.

If Lee thinks it's OK to grind the shims I personally would go along with it. I don't think he would have any trouble getting some shims delivered if you would rather replace them. Lee' s philosophy is to not throw needless, or inferior parts into a repair job. The great thing about Lee is you can go talk to him about your concerns ( shims, waterpump,etc.) and you will probably be amazed at the in-depth response you will receive. Lee is "the " mechanic around here. He's probably working on another Bonneville project car as I write this....

16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    He is a really neat guy to talk to. I really like him.

17. KISSLUST

KISSLUST Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    Birmingham Alabama
    Full Name:
    Jason M
    #42 KISSLUST, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    A car that pretty can't possibly need work. Just drive it until it breaks :)

19. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    I drove it for 4 years and it never broke, ever.

20. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #45 hank sound, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
    Impacto speaks the truth............take care of her in a timely and loving manner..........and you'll forget how to spell the word "broke".

Drive her in the best of health:)

Cheers, Hank

21. KISSLUST

KISSLUST Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    Birmingham Alabama
    Full Name:
    Jason M
    Don't worry I will drive her.... Like I told MH... "I am soooo happy I have to sit on my hands to keep from waiving at everybody ;-) !!!!!!!!!

22. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    You don't look very happy in that picture Jason. :) Actually you look kinda freaked out... sorta like you could be posing next to Gisele or Heidi Klum. :D Beautiful car btw.

23. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    He's just saving up his big smiles for drive time...

24. KISSLUST

KISSLUST Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    Birmingham Alabama
    Full Name:
    Jason M
    Actually I was watching the flash timer and it caught me off in la la land... But your right I did kinda feel like I was this goofy kid next to a super model. But she was oh sooooo nice!!