Going deep in red before changing gear? | FerrariChat

Going deep in red before changing gear?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by UpNorth, Apr 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    After reading the article mentionned in a recent thread I am wondering if you guys really go deep in the red with your TR before changing gear?
    I've had mine for a year and I rev it up to 6000 on a regular basis but do not get into the red zone oftenly.
    So what's your take on this? Can the car really take it? I'm not talking about dropping the clutch, just really going up in rev before changing gear.

2. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The flat-12 motor is very rugged, and if your motor is in good shape and thoroughly warmed up, there's no reason you can't wind her up to 6800 revs. I have gone past 7k revs on a rare occasion but the power will start to drop off a bit at that point, due to the mild cams and valve timing. As for the motor physically....the flat-12 is one of the toughest...maybe even THE toughest engine Ferrari has ever made. It can handle a lot.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    High RPM doesn't do the motor any good. If it's state of tune dictates you need to do that to get power out of it that is one thing but a TR motor is all done a 6500 or so. It has such a big flat power curve there is no advantage to going higher.

4. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Anyway does'nt it have a rev limiter, i'm sure i've hit it a few times?

5. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Si your self imposed rev limiter is set to geriatric at about 2k :) :) :) and thats in the dry only.