Wanting to upgrade stereo system...suggestions? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Wanting to upgrade stereo system...suggestions?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mad Scientist, Mar 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CT Customs

CT Customs Rookie

Apr 3, 2010
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Todd
    #51 CT Customs, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello,,,just found this forum off of 6speedonline.com,,,this is a really nice forum with a ton of Ferrari enthusiasts!

I know everyone has diffrent tastes of music, and how it should be installed in certain cars. Here are some pics of a 430 we did for a customer. He wanted a lot of bass and clear mids and highs. We made the fiberglass enclosure behind the seats and used Ferrari leather and matching stitching for the center piece. We used an Audison amp to power it and Hertz Hi Energy components in the doors and replaced the lacking Ferrari headunit with an Alpine with Ipod control. The car is one of the most dynamic sounding cars we have heard and especially for a convertiable....hope you enjoy,,,I do realize most Ferrari "purists" wouldn't like the subs behind the seat but our design and install far exceeded the customers desire,,,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Boulder Rosso

Boulder Rosso Rookie

Feb 28, 2010
    Interested to see what you have...

3. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    Like I said before I just want to upgrade the speakers and subs no amp no head unit just speakers.
    I hope someone will offer a kit for me maybe a st 1 and st 2.

4. Patentman

Patentman Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2004
    Boston/Delray Beach
    Full Name:
    Barry W. Chapin
    I love it - your work looks very professional - like a stock option. Can I ask what a ballpark cost on a full system like this is and how long the car needs to be in the shop for the install?

5. CT Customs

CT Customs Rookie

Apr 3, 2010
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Patentman, thanks for the reply. This particular system came to just a little over 6,000. Nearly 1000.00 of it was the leather for the enclosure,the embroidery and the upholestry shop labor to do the stitching. The enclosure was also covered with 1/8" foam under the leather to give it the same "soft" feel as the dash and door panels. The radio/head unit was one of Alpines higher end single din units so we could have a higher pre out voltage and we used an Audison Amp. Those were the 3 main expenses of the job, as well as the labor.

The customer didn't mind having the car in here for over a week. What took the longest amount of time was having the subwoofer box at the upholestery shop. Ideally we would recommend bringing the car in to have the subwoofer box made(2 days) and then pick up the car when the box has been covered. There is only one guy here in Houston that we trust with this type of covering job and he gets pretty behind on jobs sometimes but the wait is so worth it. After the box is covered I would bring it back in and have everything installed(another 2 days) and that way you are "out of your car" that much less time. We also replace the Ferrari firewall liner since it tears when you peel it back to run your amplifier wires(amp is under a false floor in front bonnett area, with grill mesh that matches the intakes on the car). This way even "behind the scenes" the car still looks "new" and untouched.

We ship cars in here and back out all over the nation so just because you are not in Houston doesn't mean that we can't give your "baby" some of our TLC!

If anyone has any other questions, even if you are not coming to us for an install,I would be more than happy to help answer any questions.

6. 9krpm

9krpm Rookie

Jun 14, 2008
    TEXAS
    Full Name:
    RAY C
    Nice work Todd. Good thing your shop is pretty close to my home. Guys, CT Customs does impeccable work , and they are very mindful of the type of machines they are working on. Thanks for the small job on the NSX. Will get the Ferrari in soon.

7. CT Customs

CT Customs Rookie

Apr 3, 2010
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Todd

Hey Ray! Thanks for the kind words. Let me know when you are ready to get the 360 system upgraded. Send me a pic of the NSX if you get a chance!

[email protected]

8. bretskyg

bretskyg Rookie

Mar 3, 2010
    Try checking out reusaudio.com

9. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    John K
    As originator of this thread, I want to thank everyone for their replies. I finally had my upgrade done at a local Custom Sounds shop here in SA.

My system now consists of:
    Alpine CDA 9886 head unit
    Focal K2 165KR speakers in the doors
    JL 8W3V38 8-inch sub in a black leather enclosure (I have black carpeting with black inserts in the tan leather so it looks good) behind the passenger seat, no seat restriction
    Alpine PDX 4.100 amp installed in the trunk with a carpeted fiberboard cover (beneath a false bottom)

The new system sounds fantastic compared to the stock system. (In fact the old speakers were cracking which probably was the reason the original system sounded soooo bad.) Again, I didn't want a system to break windows when I'm on the street, just a good sounding system, especially for my I-pod (now located in the glove box).
    Mission accomplished...Very Happy with the results.

Mad

10. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Mad! What a shame of you!
    You forgot to post pictures of your system man!!

11. CT Customs

CT Customs Rookie

Apr 3, 2010
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Todd
    X2...would love to see it! Congrats on your new audio system, you'll enjoy it for years to come!

12. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    I want to upgrade the under dash speakers and sub drivers only,how can I know the size,spec etc of the dash and subs to order some online ?

Also what is the best brand right now? I was thinking Focal any other ?

13. k-diddy

k-diddy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2004
    PM SENT

14. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Has anyone put the sub in the trunk? I did this with my 87 911 cab and the bass and overall sound was incredible. Is it better to have it behind the seat? I would rather keep that area clear.

I'm still pondering my next move.

15. kumbayah

kumbayah Karting

Jul 3, 2006
    If anyone wants a Oem 430 Scuderia stereo, I have one.
    Its been already taken off the car, in working condition.

16. CT Customs

CT Customs Rookie

Apr 3, 2010
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Todd

Placing the sub in the trunk,if sealed off from the passenger cabin,will not provide any bass in the passenger compartment. You have to allow the bass wave to be unrestricted into the passenger compartment.

Placing it behind one or both of the seats is the optimal location.

17. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    where can you get the between the seat sub box like i see on some car. i think it may have been a factory option

18. teknikl

teknikl Karting

Sep 16, 2009
    Does it devalue the car to have the head unit deck replaced? Mine is cassette for god's sake!

19. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    of course not! ...Ferraris are not investment instruments

20. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA

The short answer; yes. But, I don't think it would be a major deduction, but with so many 360's on the market, someone may choose the car with the factory Becker head unit over the one with the aftermarket setup. Most F-car buyers are all about 'as it left the factory'

Having said that, I saved the head unit and all the original stereo components on my 360, upgraded the subs in the between the seat box, alpine amp up front with a Pioneer head unit with tilt-screen, Nav, XM and iPod. :) I can easily swap it back to stock.

21. teknikl

teknikl Karting

Sep 16, 2009
    Ahh, for anyone who is trying to DIY, the ferrari uses the Volkswagen wiring harness.

Yep, upgraded and can return back to stock... didn't have to cut anything.

Getting a custom dual 8" behind the seat box fabricated in the same interior leather as my car, it's going to look amazing. will post pics of the finished product.

22. lpspeedster

lpspeedster Rookie

Dec 23, 2009
    GTA
    pm sent :)
    what would the VW part number be?
    TIA

23. teknikl

teknikl Karting

Sep 16, 2009