Is this 250 Monza ??? | FerrariChat

Is this 250 Monza ???

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by cavallino, Nov 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cavallino

cavallino Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain
    I have s/n and model question with this car too.

It looks like a 250 Monza spyder Scaglietti s/n0442M.
    But, it could be s/n0466M by PF. Or another model ?
    Anyone know the answer ?

Thanks,
    Alain

2. cavallino

cavallino Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain
    Front view :

3. jhjvdm

jhjvdm Formula Junior

May 28, 2003
    From my documentation it's a photo of 375 PLus with serialnr

0384AM

See attached picture

Joop van der meer

4. cavallino

cavallino Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain
    Yes, you're right. But, Barchetta's site says that this car has been burned and destroyed. And another site says that this car has been stolen in the USA. Bur, reappear in Italy, it's this 375 an oringinal car and engine ?

5. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    0384AM or 0394AM ??????
    For me the car with number 151 was shooted at Mugello and was 0394AM rebuilt with some parts of 0384AM.

6. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    This car was built using what remained of 0384AM. It was once stamped 0394AM for reasons too complicated to go through here and later restamped back to 0384AM. 0394AM was a solo motore and is believed to be the engine in this car.

7. Scuderia CC

Scuderia CC Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Pics of the Ferrari 375+ #0384/AM at the FF40 in 1992 :

8. Scuderia CC

Scuderia CC Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
  9. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    According to Mr Hilary Raab jr. book 'Ferrari Serial Numbers, Part II' sn 0466 isn't built by PF;

sn/ 0442M, 250 Monza Spyder, Scaglietti, first owner Cornacchia (I)

sn/ 0466M, 250 Monza Spyder, Scaglietti, first owner Cornacchia (I), chassis no. 504, engine no. 117

and those other sn's are described as:

sn/ 0384AM, 375 Plus Spyder, Pininfarina, (original Scuderia Ferrari car), first owner Kimberly (USA), chassisno. 505, engineno. 113

sn/ 0394AM, 375 Plus Spyder, Pininfarina, (original Scuderia Ferrari car), first owner Kimberly (USA)

Hope this info will clear anything (don't know what...but I just wanted to share this :D )

10. Ocean Joe

Ocean Joe Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 21, 2008
    Boca Raton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph Ford III

You can email me direct at [email protected]

11. Ocean Joe

Ocean Joe Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 21, 2008
    Boca Raton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph Ford III

You can email me direct at [email protected]. Thanks for your help.

12. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I would like to hear the "too complicated"stuff. From what I have the engine in the rebuilt 0384 is the new engine built by Lunelli. The reasons for the renumbering are speculation only and the factory has confirmed that 0394 was a 2.5 engine for Vanderville. Also I cannot access the pictures referred to in the posts. Can you help. thanks tongascrew

13. Onebugatti

Onebugatti Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2008
    Centre Europe
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I remember that car in Italy being built, but as a replica. Later I saw it finished racing in Europe under the same number (0394AM). Is there a reason it now claims to be 0384? I don't fully understand why the change of numbers now.

14. Onebugatti

BANNED

Apr 2, 2008
    Centre Europe
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    2-2010
    Belgian Ferrari Dealer Wants Ohio Title To Rare Roadster Stolen In Cincinnati: Paid $625,000, But Ownership Disputed

http://thebellwetherdaily.blogspot.com/2010/02/belgian-ferrari-dealer-wants-ohio-title.html

CINCINNATI (TDB) -- The car is one of only six ever made and is overseas. It was last raced in Cuba before Castro came to power. Belgian Jack Swaters, who restores classic race cars in Europe, contends the heirs of a Cincinnati collector refuse to give him sole ownership. So far, nothing in the corporate media about the intercontinental legal battle being waged right here. In 1990, Swaters bought the burned out chassis of a rare Ferrari model 375 Plus Grand Prix Roadster, serial No. 0384AM. He got it from a trader in Belgium. But the car had been reported stolen by Karl Kleve, a eccentric Cincinnati junk collector who died in 2003. Kleve, an engineer who helped build the first atomic bomb in World War II, had at least 300 cars, a B-29 bomber fuselage, boats, piles of oil cans, and stacks of $10 and $20 bills scattered on his property. This was reported by the Enquirer in years past. Green Township officials fought a 14-year battle to declare it all a nuisance. They won.

But the fight over the Ferrari that vanished in Cincinnati and turned up in Europe goes on and on. The latest chapter started last Friday in Hamilton County Common Pleas Court when Swaters and his daughter sought a restraing order and injunction over the Ferrari's ownership. The breach of contract case is pending before Judge Norbert Nadel. So far, the heirs have not filed an answer to the complaint. Phillipe Lancksweert, a friend and business associate of Swaters in Europe, has filed an affidavit in the court case contending he paid $625,000 in 1999 to settle competing ownership claims:

"In 1994, I invested in the vehicle as an equal partner with Swaters. A few years later we learned of an owernship claims by Karl Kleve. Although Swaters purchased the vehicle in damaged condition, it retained an extremely high value as a collector's item because only six were ever made by Ferrari. The more complete the veicle, the higher the value and hence, the value of the parts at issue."

Lacksweert said he sold his share of the car back to Swaters in 2004. He said the parts in Ohio include the original VIN plate. Swaters' daughter, Florence, says in an affidavit that there are Ferrari parts in Ohio with Kleve's heirs that should be in Europe:

". . . including, but not limited to, the VIN data plate, fuel tank, engine cover, steering wheel, wheel supports, three wheels, on rear wing, and five instruments . . . The fact that parts to the vehicle are or may be circulating in the market has greatly affected the value of the vehicle . . . But more importantly, claims regarding the ownership of the vehicle and parts have greatly affected not only the value of the vehicle, but also the reputation on the Swaters."

15. Onebugatti

BANNED

Apr 2, 2008
    Centre Europe
    Full Name:
    Christopher
  16. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Absolutely disagree, NOT a replica at all.

Marcel Massini

17. Onebugatti

BANNED

Apr 2, 2008
    Centre Europe
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    If NOT a replica, why was the chassis number a counterfeit number used on a car now assuming the indenty of the stolen 0384 car?

18. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Mr. Metalfinder

May I suggest to reply to my PM??

Marcel Massini

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    STACKS of "ten and twenty dollar bills"?

C'mon gang, let's look at these issues, and maybe get the old pictures reposted?

Why would he care about the US title? He just wants the Theft Report retracted.....

20. OldRacer

OldRacer Rookie

Apr 4, 2010
    Miami to Monaco (MM)
    Full Name:
    Allen Markelson
    I did race against this Ferrari years ago, gee it was 54 years ago, and I think I have a few photos. I drove a Mercedes, and the Ferrari 375 you mentioned was driven by Howard Hively under 171 in our race, maybe owned by Kimberly while we were in Nassau. The 375 was a wild Ferrari, not great in the turns but made up the differance in the straights. I have not figured how to put in photos, as I am just now learning the ropes of this new wire-age. Would be great to see it again as it was an exciting car in its day, would love to find the Gullwing I raced and where it is today also.

21. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Alan, welcome! great to read those real old racers are finding their way to this site. Would love to see pix and stories about the pre-abs/asr/roll cage/well any safety item ....

ciao
    Oscar

(ps where are the previous pix? in post 1-10?)

22. OldRacer

OldRacer Rookie

Apr 4, 2010
    Miami to Monaco (MM)
    Full Name:
    Allen Markelson
    Hell, I am up at 4am daily, and this is sure alot of info on the past. Not many of us left now, glad I still feel 25 ! hahaha. Alan