87 testarossa rough starting | FerrariChat

87 testarossa rough starting

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jamesrobba, Apr 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    problem : car starts and die's about 6 turns of the key , i can hear the fuel pumps , when it starts it real rough about 5 k on the tach and sometimes brings the battery light on for a while until it goes just above 5 k on the tach again. it runs very very rough at idle , push the gas down it want to stall . very very hard to idle it's like the engine wants to stall as it warms up for 15-20 mins it runs ok , just ok not the good as i have been reading could it be the the protection relay p/n 61766200 . i guess this relay is above the right rear does any one have a picture of it or please the area . note before the car would start and run about 8 k on the tach it does not do that at all please help thanks jim

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
    Your symptoms are consistent with the Protection Relay not working correctly (or its fuse being blown), but I hope that by "5k" and "8k" you mean "500" and "800", and not "5000" and "8000" ;)

This is what the TR/328 Protection Relay looks like:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

It is located inside the "black box" mounted over the RH rear wheel fender liner:

This jpeg describes how to make a DC voltage measurement to check if the Protection Relay is working or not:

One point is that the 10A fuse in the Protection Relay is meant to blow if the Alternator voltage goes too high -- i.e., if it keeps blowing fuses, measure the Alternator (Battery) voltage when the engine is at mid-range RPM -- if it goes over ~15V that would be a sign of a bad Alternator/VR (or, if your headlights keep getting brighter as engine RPM increases, that would also be a sign that the Alternator/VR is bad).

3. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
  4. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    thank you steve you are the best and yes it is 500k and 800k ,i am going to take the relay out today and i will get back to you guys on the fix . i want to thank all my ferrari guys for there help it's great to just put a problem on ferrari chat and get help i hope one day i can do the same thanks again. best to all jim

5. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    took a look at the box i guess the two cannon plugs come off and then the bolts that hold down the relay box , could someone please give me a heads up it does not look easy and i don't want to damage anything . thank you all best jim

6. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    looking at removal of the the relay box above the r/h w/w has any one performed this , looks like 2 cannon plugs come off and then mounting bolts and then it slides out , looking to see if any one has any special way of removal i don't want to damage anything , looking at getting to the protection relay . thank you all jim

7. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    HEY GUYS FOUND THE FUSE BLOWN BIG TIME AND YOU COULD PART BROKEN INSIDE THE RELAY BY SHAKING IT I HAVE ONE COMING AND WILL UP DATE WHEN IT GETS PUT IN I HOPE SOON RAMIBI IS BACK ORDERED ON THIS RELAY COST 140 DOLLARS BUT IF IT MAKE IT RUN LIKE A TOP AT IDLE WHO CARES ABOUT THE MONEY IT'S ABOUT THE FERRARI SOUND RUNNING AT IDLE , LOVE IT ! THANK YOU JIM