What year might this Australian car be? | FerrariChat

What year might this Australian car be?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by James_Woods, Apr 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    #1 James_Woods, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was asked what year this car might be...the picture at least is Australian, car looks like a RHD. We were trying to identify the year of the photo.

I told them there was probably not enough there to pin down by exact make and year. I was guessing maybe 1920s because it looks like a fairly large sedan with pretty narrow rear wheels and tires. Photo must be a while later than car's vintage because it looks pretty beat up.

Thanks, James
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Looks '30s to me...

3. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    judging the wear and tear on the car the actual photo might have been taken in the late thirties...perhaps just post war..

4. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Looking at the ragtop tourer behind the foreground car, I'm betting this is the early 30's and the foreground car is a late 20's piece...

Which war would that be?

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Standard Motor Company '34-'36 "Ten".

6. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Thanks, Wax and everyone.

This is interesting because it would place the photo about a decade later than what the owner thought.

Are you pretty sure about the model and date, Wax - it sounded like you knew for sure.

James

7. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    again, judging from the car's condition, the photo could have been taken in the early 40's...

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Not positive. The Aussie distinction narrows it down, but, hey, might be a different marque altogether, as there likely cars with the same ideas being imported into Oz, not manufactured. As to Standard, like others, some ideas were tried out late in a model's run before being incorporated on newer or companion models. What looks like a turn indicator may be a tell, then again, it might be a pressure gauge. Best to ask the experts on Standards if it should be dismissed as such, straightaway.
    http://standardclub.proboards.com/index.cgi?