Africa Travel Question | FerrariChat

Africa Travel Question

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 360stimo, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Why doesn't this site have a travel section? I'm guessing we all do a lot of travel etc, wouldn't it be beneficial?

Anyhoo,

Anyone been on Kenya Airlines? Heard its very good. Anyone know if there are any seats better than others in Business?

My g/f and i are off to Africa for just over 2 weeks. Couple of night in Nairobi, then off on a 8 day Safari through Tanzania and finally for a week on Zanzibar before flying back out of Dar Es Salaam.

Anyone done anything like this or could offer some must do's / do not's in these destinations, it would be greatly appreciated.

In particular anyone done the ferry from Zanzibar to Dar Es Salaam? I've heard it can be really dodgy and also thats its great fun and interesting. Usually i'd just hop on it and deal with whatever comes my way, but with my g/f there i don't want to get us into any bother and going to be careful.

Thanks

2. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I've never had the chance to go to Africa. A safari sounds fun though - do bring back a few pictures for us! ;)

Safe travels,
    Andrew.

3. Desperado

Desperado Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2007
    Pittsburgh/Djibouti
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I agree a travel section here would be pretty nice. As for your trip, have you tried this site for info ?
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/index.jspa

I've traveled into some pretty remote areas (not where you are going though) and found info from that site to be very good and accurate.

4. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    I used to have to go to West Africa a lot on business - and am very glad I don't have to any more :-o

5. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    contact JRS he will know he lived there and goes regular

6. CFCARRIAGE

CFCARRIAGE Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2006
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #6 CFCARRIAGE, Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have been to Africa and have noticed South African Airways has updated their airlines and has fewer old prop jobs. I was generally happy with SA. Jo'burg Airport is completely renovated and not bad to get around. New Ferrari store in Joburg airport, nice guys!

From another trip to Africa (Nigeria to be specific) and not on South African Airways, I can tell you to follow your gut. If you walk out out on the tarmac and the plane's engine is sputtering and skipping. Take a pass and don't get on! On that trip my friends and I heard the plane next to ours and said "that doesn't sound good, surely thats not going anywhere. That eveening on the news ...it had crashed in Abuja. Now you know damn well and good if we as novices can pick-up on a bad sounding engine you would think the workers and pilots would scrap the flight. not that day my friend.

Be patient, don't expect alot, and remember your in Africa. Nuff said. Make sure you notify your embassy in the countries your visiting in advance so if there is trouble maybe someone will remember your out in the bush. Also check for any travel advisories like local coups, pirates etc. I would also check the US CDC website to see what vaccinations are advised and if you'll need anti malarial drugs. Take some antibiotics, immodium, sunscreen, insect repellant, flashlight and a handy knife with ya. I also bring a personal water purifier with just cause i don't trust the water bottled or not. I've seen bottles get filled on the street and then sold as purified water. I still get the crud, usually on the third or fourth day.

Hope this helps. be safe and rememeber if you get that funny feeling something ain't right ..its probably not and get the F outta where ever you are. Oh and Take lots of pix. Enjoy!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm in Africa atm, (rwanda, so not as good as it sounds). Flew here on Ethiopian and been on Kenya. The seats in economy are very small and the business class are a must, but not up to standard we're used to...

Whatever you do, DON'T go to Rwanda. The Gorilla tours are a bloody rip off ($500 PP, and not a single gorilla in sight...) same as the jungle tours, $200 pp and you can see some plants and perhaps a butterfly.

I heard nothing but good things about the area's you're going to though. Plenty of friends I know have been on safari's there and all want to go again. I'm of to Botswana next month before going to the UK which seems pretty good....just look at the top gear roadtrip for reference!

8. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Will do, trying to find some extra camera batteries online now !

9. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Don't think he posts on here.

10. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Yeah i use that and this one http://wateringhole.gapadventures.com/

If i go anywhere which is a bit dodgy, then i do all the research i can. I spent weeks in front of the laptop before going to Columbia !!!

11. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Thanks for that. I have heard it depends which plane Kenyan airlines give you and most of the planes out of Heathrow are older planes with average business class seats where as they have new planes which have won awards for their business class package.

Hope the seat at least goes nearly flat and not just one of those stupid larger normal seats. Kenyan was half the price of BA and i wasn't going to pay £6k for two BA returns.

12. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Thanks for that.

Got two injections in 30 mins, the rest i had when i went to South America.
    Deff do need malaria tablets, but luckily my g/f works in PR for pharmaceutical companies and we can get the best stuff free - malarone is the stuff we are getting.

13. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I've never been, but one thing that comes highly recommended while in the bush is a hot air balloon ride - Supposedly worth every $ as it doesn't spook the critters.......

Got plenty of memory cards as well as batteries? Are you taking a laptop? Maybe a dedicated backup device?

Have fun,

Cheers,
    Ian

14. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    #14 F328GTS, Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010

I have flown on Kenya Airways to Nairobi 3 times, twice in 2006 and again in 2008. They were excellent the first two times, but not as good 3rd time. Plane has been allowed to get a bit tatty, screen did not work properly, and my light button operated the row in front.

Having said that, I was flying economy, and the TV entertainment was all on demand. They fly 777's IIRC.

Nairobi is safe during the day, but advise you stay in the hotel after dark. Safari is awesome, you should have a great time. Personally do not believe the balloon ride to be worth the money, you may end up not seeing as much wildlife as if you stay on the ground, and it is seriously expensive.

Have fun!

15. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Lots of memory cards and spare batteries. Not taking a laptop as i don't want to carry it around and be worrying about it all the time !

Hot air balloon noted - thanks

16. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Thanks Nige - found this today which is a good site if your going on a flight. Tells you which seats to avoid etc
    http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Kenya_Airways/Kenya_Airways_Boeing_777-200ER.php

17. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    JRS is South African, not exactly where you will be, although he might well have been there.

18. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 I would then suggest an hour or so every night to delete the pix that don't "measure up" - I'd bet you'll delete at least 50% of 'em right away, and it's easier to do it right away than deal with it later (IMHO.)

Both +ve and -ve it seems!

We were talking to a couple high over Lake Tahoe who's previous balloon experience was over the Serengeti, and they said it was *the* highlight of their trip - Apparently got closer to the critters than at any other time. IIRC, they were also flying at sunset......

OTOH, I suspect our Tahoe experience would have pretty much sucked had the weather not been *perfect*, and they wouldn't have raved if all they saw was grass and blinding sun......

I guess it's a classic "YMMV" scenario.....

Cheers,
    Ian
    PS - When I got all the shots etc to go there *many* years ago, the travel clinic sold me a "personal" medical kit - Some sterile stuff and a few syringes etc - Apparently, at least back then, if **** happened the local hospital would use that to try and keep you going. The local stuff may be a bit sketchy (?) Obviously (hopefully!), you donate it on the way out....

I dunno if that's still valid?

19. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
  20. roalda

roalda Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    Wiltshire England
    Full Name:
    Roy
    #20 roalda, Apr 8, 2010
    Been twice on safari in Kenya (the best) you will love it mate, Can I come???
    Wear dark clothes it gets very dusty at times.
    Regards Roy

Got a match?

21. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Did you get 'er going? :)

22. roalda

roalda Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    Wiltshire England
    Full Name:
    Roy
  23. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    LOL

24. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    #24 F328GTS, Apr 9, 2010
    I have been to Kenya 3 times on safari, done most of the parks now. Masai Mara is by far the best in Kenya.

Went to Botswana last year for a change, that was fantastic, can highly recommend. Took this Leopard picture there. Off to Namibia in September :)

25. 8-Ball

8-Ball Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    Sussex
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Can't offer any advice, Stimo, but sounds like a great trip. Have fun.