ferrari's and old age ! | FerrariChat

ferrari's and old age !

Discussion in '348/355' started by 355tsr, Apr 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355tsr

355tsr Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2010
    It;s too bad that when you work hard all your life to acheive a certian level of financial freedom, that when you get there you find that all those years of 60 hr weeks, 8 days a week, have taken a toll that now
    prevent you from enjoying that freedom. Your body now is showing alot of wear and tear...aches and pains that you really do not notice too much until you try and crawl down into or out of your dream Ferrari. Those of you that have a 348 or 355 know of what I speak.
    I thought it was bad when I started to have to help my wife in and out
    of the 355, now its to a point where she weighs in the factor of is it worth it just to ride with me. Now yesterday the Ortho Doc says that I need both knee's replaced, and that my chronic back pain can only be fixed by fusing some veterbra. Thankfully I have a spider so maybe I can install in my garage one of those electric lifts like they use in hospitials. to lower me in and lift me out when I need to take a hot run
    in the 355. Anyone else have these issues, if so how do you compensate?

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Italian cars in general are somewhat lacking in the "creature comforts" that some of us find necessary. The mid-engined cars are particularly challenging to enter and exit if you are older, wider and less flexible than you once were.

You might want to shop for a different model

3. bkniep

bkniep Karting

Dec 31, 2008
    St Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Bill Kniep
    456M GT!

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Fortunately, I do not have any of the problems you describe (not yet anyway :)).

Hopefully it all works out for you, and you find a way to enjoy your Ferraris.

5. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    Get a 612 or California...:D

6. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

This is why I did not want to wait until I was older just to pay cash for a 355. Guys, you don't know when your health will fail you. Everybody is so against financing a "toy". Well, what happens if you work your a$$ off your entire life and can't enjoy a Ferrari the same way you could have enjoyed it if you were only younger...?

If you make $100k+ per year, financing a 355 or even a 360 is not an unreasonable thing to do.

I have many friends who drive a new 7-Series or S-Class whose car payments are more than my 355 and Honda combined.

I bought my 355 at 30 years old. I'm now 32 years old and I am so glad that I decided to buy when I did.

To the OP: I'm sorry that you are going through this. I had a back injury last year that precluded me from driving my 355 for a few weeks. It was a sad time...

7. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    +1

8. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    +2

Amen brother!!! I did the same thing but at 34..:) now 37. And would do it all over again!!! One of the guy I worked with at the time bought a new Chev extra cab disel lifted bla bla bla and paid more than I did for the 355 so what's the dif??? We both have company trucks so why is it ok (with the world) for him to finance a truck but not ok for me to finance a 355???

9. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Yes, getting old sux for many reasons, but there are compensations, not the least of which is that your standards get lower!

10. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Excellent point...and the answer is....it IS okay to do what you did :)

11. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    And your near vision gets a little fuzzy so you won't notice the tiny, tiny rock chips on your front bumper!