1:24 Gunze Sangyo 250 GTO High-tech | FerrariChat

1:24 Gunze Sangyo 250 GTO High-tech

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by EnzoNZ, Apr 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    #1 EnzoNZ, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Has anyone built one of these?

It seem to have a fair amount of PE detail

Is the moulding on the model good in detail?

How accurate is it of 4399GT at the Tourist Trophy?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dino Scuderia

Dino Scuderia Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2005
    Southeast US
    It's a decent kit...and in it's day it was definitely sought after.

With that said there are better ways to build a better GTO these days for approximately the money one would pay for that Gunze kit.

Getting the new Fujimi GTO kit and adding some photo etch details will yield a better model.

There is some controversy over the rear wheel openings in the Gunze kit and some of the other parts are a bit heavy handed IMO.

I've had the Gunze GTO and still have their 250 SWB which supplies the same sort of parts as the GTO less the engine.

3. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    1:24 climax kit is much better!

4. Dino Scuderia

Dino Scuderia Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2005
    Southeast US
    Climax molds are now owned by Model Factory Hiro IIRC.

5. noelsairplanes

noelsairplanes Karting
    BANNED

Oct 19, 2004
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    #5 noelsairplanes, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a couple of photos of the Gunze version and the Hiro / Climax. Body shape, especially around the rear wheel openings, of the Gunze body is wrong. The Gunze yellow car was built for me by Alex Kustov. The silver Hiro / Climax was done for me by a builder in the Far East. Both are 1/24th scale. Both can be built into very impressive finished models but IMHO, the Hiro / Climax kit is the better of the two.

6. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #6 RP, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
    There is an old issue of Model Racing Replica News that showed how to modify the gunze body to be more accurate.

When I get home, I will check for the issue #.

Also the Gunze has no engine. I've seen people take the engine from the other Gunze and use it with this kit, or also the opposite.

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #7 F1tommy, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
    Your best bet is to buy the Fujimi and add the Hobby Design transkit to it. The Fujimi body is better than the Climax/Hiro body in most areas. The only area the Climax/Hiro is better than the Fujimi is by the tail lights. The Fujimi kit does need more engine detail added.

The Gunze is not that accurate in alot of areas. I would avoid it and buy the Fujimi. The Fujimi tires are also not good. They say AVON on them, obviously from the restored car they copied for the model. If you want a 1/24th Hiro/Climax 250 GTO series 1 I will have the Lemans class winner for sale at the Ferrari Expo 2010 in Chicago(Hiro boxed new model).

By the way noalsairplanes, those GTO's look great.

Good luck.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2010 model/photo contest-Chicago April 24th 2010

8. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    Thanks guys. I passed on it - it was about US$75