Another Bend-Pak MD-6XP has a new home! | FerrariChat

Another Bend-Pak MD-6XP has a new home!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Impactco, Jul 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    #1 Impactco, Jul 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So I got a knock on my door this morning at about 0830 and it was the guys from Bend-Pak with my new lift! :) I went ahead and paid the additional $250 for full installation and setup since I didn't want to kill myself moving around 900 pounds of steel. They used a small crane to get it on the ground (pic#1). This is the easy way to get it off the pallet (pic#2). Positioned and ready to Get 'r Done! (pic#3). Lifted to the 3rd lock (pic#4 & 5). Under body access (pic#6 & 7). Clearance both front and rear when lowered (pic#8 & 9).

This lift is really a thing of beauty with quality massive welds and beefy components. Even though I could have saved $500, I'm glad I didn't buy an inexpensive Chinese clone.

Everything works as planned except the two pieces of steel I had cut to protect the floor from the rollers (pic#10) are about 2 inches too short to allow much height past the 3rd lock for automatic safety disengagement. For the time being I'll have to manually disengage the safety until I can have bigger plates cut. They need to be 18"x8" instead of 16"x8".

Thanks a bunch to Chris and Eric who previously posted their installations and generously allowed me to poach their ideas!

Now....it's suspension upgrade time!! NO more F$&*ing jack stands and crawling on the floor!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. carb308gtb

carb308gtb Karting

Oct 20, 2006
    Svezia
    Full Name:
    Patrik
    That’s one nice lift, and I can see with your picts that you have the right balance, nice work and pics.

3. eurogt4

eurogt4 Karting

Apr 15, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That really looks great. I've been debating ordering one for a year now. I think I'll go ahead. Who did you talk to when you ordered it? Thanks, Mike

4. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    Got it from these guys discounted to $1600 + tax & delivery/setup:

http://www.gesusa.com/ges4less/product.php?product=258&category=58088

I dealt with Rudy at 800-261-7729 X 103.

I ordered it on Monday and got it delivered on Thursday. The stock hydraulic hose is 10 feet - I ordered it with 20 feet of hose to allow me to position the lift backwards for the CG of a mid-engined car and still have the control unit up front.

5. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Think I'll be coming over to use it soon :)

6. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #6 Pizzaman Chris, Jul 26, 2007
  7. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    No problem, you bring the beer and pizza!

I'm thinking it might be Simple Green/Powerwasher time before I do the suspension upgrade!

8. Mr. Nice Guy

Mr. Nice Guy Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Southern NH
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Very nice! Great setup...

I LOVE my lift... can't imagine life without it now!

9. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    #9 Impactco, Jul 26, 2007
    One last little detail - Like Eric did, I covered the exposed lumber with black matting to match the floor. $1.90 per foot at Home Depot.

10. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Hey Michael,

How bout I come over and put my QA-1's on at your house ?

JK.

Very clean install, I'm jealous.

-Lou (man of many jackstands)

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I know what Santa is bringing me for Christmas (if I'm good...)

Brilliant - what a dream come true for a car guy!!

12. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Russ,
    It's good to be naughty sometimes.;)

13. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    That lift looks great.
    How stable is the car on that type of lift?
    I know from experience that a car on 4 jackstands is not very stable.
    It looks like the footprint is pretty small and the moment pretty long.

Thanks,

Mark

14. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    With the CG of the car near the center of the scissor, it is very stable even at full height. You must position the car on the lift correctly. I have to move my lift back or the car forward about 12" since it currently isn't optimally positioned. This was discussed in this thread:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159442

15. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    #15 Impactco, Jul 27, 2007
    I moved the lift back 13 inches and it is now much more balanced. The car is now rock solid on the lift with no longitudinal rocking tendency even if I push on it with all my strength. Barring a California earthquake, I feel confident that it will not tip over.

16. 328Nero

328Nero Karting

May 14, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    The Dude
    I am laying the ground work with my wife right now to pull the trigger on ordering one...I appologize if I missed it somewhere but what did you use for the ramps? Are they 2" X 12" or are they bolted together? Can you offer a breakdown of your costs with all meterials included?

Great job, Thanks fr posting the results...

17. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    The ramp construction is discussed here in Eric's thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159442&page=2

18. 328Nero

328Nero Karting

May 14, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    The Dude
  19. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    Nope, I used 2x12's & 2x4's - look towards the middle of Eric's thread (post #36) for my post with photos.

20. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    I've got one just like this annd Ilove the lumber idea....I have NO clue how I worked on the car befoer I got this...I STILL get a kick out of going into the garage and raising the car on the lift ( sometimes just for fun!) watching the car slowly rise in my garage is just so much fun ( note...got to get out more...)

21. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Have been thinking about getting a scissor lift for a couple of months now and will get it later this summer. Really like the idea of using wood for the ramps and will do something like that when the time comes, along with the folding guide poles. Great Idea.

22. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    You will love it! I used mine today to make some minor shock valving adjustments on all four corners. Only took 5 minutes with the lift, no hassle. With jack stands, it would have taken about 30 minutes and been a chore :D.

23. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    When I first joined Fchat and met Verell, I went over to his house and saw for the first time in my life (I led a sheltered life) a lift in someone's home garage. I thought Verell must be some kind of eccentric rich guy to have a lift in his garage. But he told me they aren't that expensive. After I bought my own, I realized that being a car guy and not having a lift is just silly. These are the best tools you will ever own. They make working on the car so much more enjoyable. Worth every cent.

Birdman

24. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    FChatter Chairpilot came by this weekend to admire and fondle my lift. I think we may have a new BendPak owner soon :D

25. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    #25 Impactco, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
    It really does have a new home today. FChatter RVIDRCI came over with cash in hand and picked up my lift and ramps today. He needs it more than I do, now that I am Ferrari free. That supercharger install last year sure would have been easier for him with the lift! He promised to post pics of his installation, before and after.....