??? How to prevent the yellow fade in the carbon fiber engine panels? | FerrariChat

??? How to prevent the yellow fade in the carbon fiber engine panels?

Discussion in '360/430' started by F430GT, Mar 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    For owners of F430, Scuderia, 16M with the engine panels in carbon fiber, is there something (product, care, etc) available to prevent the yellow fade that these panels develop when exposed to heat?

There was a recall on the 2008 Scuderia, because the exhaust insulation shields were too small. The 2009 Scuderia and the 16M have the bigger shields, but my 2009 still turns those panels yellow, despite of having the bigger shields.

The larger carbon fiber panels (the ones next to the valve covers) are starting to develop that fading white finish, that turns yellow over time.

Thanks

2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Now I dont own a 430, but I have never heard of anything that can be done to stop this from happening. I remember seeing this on a Gallardo. Perhaps get the standard tim put in there and keep the CF stuff nice?

3. Integra

Integra Karting

Mar 24, 2010
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    Federico
    If it becomes very yellow Ferrari change them under Warranty! I had already the small ones close to the exhaust changed,and the big left one too recently, and the small cover between the airboxes 4 days ago.. everything for free.
    Now I changed the exhaust with a Tubi Titanium and i noticed the temperature on the carbon is much lower than before,but otherwise there is no particular solution apart from replacing them!

4. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    Does the Tubi Style Titanium uses valves for quiet/loud operation, or is it one setting?

Is it louder than stock when the stock Scuderia is a full throttle (it bypasses the muffler)?

Thanks

5. Integra

Integra Karting

Mar 24, 2010
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    Federico
  6. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    I just got the large left engine panel replaced as well, because mine was fading. So yours is the second car I know of with the same problem.

My small engine panels (next to the muffler) are in pretty bad shape, the right one turned yellow entirely, and the left one has faded drastically.

It is fine to get it replaced under warranty, but I prefer to use the warranty for thing that are really wrong, not this cosmetic non-sense. I wonder if the problem lies on the clear coat product use on carbon fiber to give the gloss finish?

I don't want to install the plastic standard engine panels, because they are heavier, and they don't look as nice. I will probably fabricate a new shield to protect the small panels from the mufflers's heat.

7. Integra

Integra Karting

Mar 24, 2010
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    Federico
    Actually i have the dealer at 500 metres,so it's not a problem to go there and use my warranty!! the problem is that here for technical stuff they are not expert at all.. :-( so at least i use them for cosmetic problems!
    I know at least about other 2 Scuderia having had the same problems,and got them replaced too. I think this is a problems that happens only with cars pushed hard,on the track or hard street use,causing high temperatures on the engine bays and exhaust a condition that only 25-30% of ow,ners really have imho.

But i Noticed too that the carbon panels i had as stock were more fragile with heat than the ones i had later, so maybe Ferrari noticed the problem and changed a bit the specs of the panels..

8. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    25%-30% in Europe and the rest of the world (where the other 5 billion people live). In U.S. (Less than 500 total 16M, 08 Scuderias and 09 Scuderias), I bet that the percentage is under 5%.

9. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Just had mine replaced under warranty. I will be picking up my beauty Thursday...lets see how long these new panels last. Btw, my car has only 2800 km.

10. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Typically the problem lies in the manufacturing process whereas the clear coat fails to protect the epoxy resin from UV damage.

11. Greg34

Greg34 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 31, 2010
    Sunset Beach
    Full Name:
    Greg
    After years of this same issue with CF on motos two things:

1. Much of the new CF is clear coated, which helps a great deal

2. I have been using this detailer with UV protection on my moto CF and paint for the last 3+ years and just started using it on my 360 air box covers (new)
    All the moto CF looks as good as it did when new, including engine cam covers, rad shrouds and other pieces in high heat areas.
    I have an old piece of CF I have used as a control and it looks decidedly worse.

Also a note here, we religiously wipe down all our cars and motos after use with this and it realy does a great job appearence wise also.

http://www.surfcitygarage.com/detail1.php?product_id=58

12. Driftracer3

Driftracer3 Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Epoxy resin is used in the higher quality parts, and its more resistant to UV damage than cheap polyester resin. However, in the case of the Scud its not UV damage, its heat damage. Heat degrades the epoxy rather easily, and even clear coat wont prevent it, maybe slow it down slightly. Protecting it from the heat is the only thing you can do to prevent the expoxy from breaking down and yellowing/fading.

If it was UV damage, then a clearcoat would be very effective.

13. Back Marker

Back Marker Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2006
    South
    Full Name:
    Tom
    When you can, right after a drive, open the engine cover all the way when parked. Close it when the engine cools down. That helps a ton.

14. sezme

sezme Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    sezme
    I've had mine scuffed and re-cleared on my Stradale with good results. Only time will tell.

15. mimon911

mimon911 Karting

Jun 2, 2009
    Can you show us some picture of your problem.

Thanks

16. Challengehauler

Challengehauler Formula 3

Jul 28, 2008
    NE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    DB
    #16 Challengehauler, Apr 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. MD326

MD326 Karting

May 6, 2007
    MD & FL
    Full Name:
    WJP
    He stated the new heat shields still do not help the problem.

Maybe a way to look at this issue is to see it as not an issue. Maybe its "cool" to have them faded/worn.. meaning you drive your car and the fade on the CF shows just that. Embrace the fade!

At least I tried...

18. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    looks pretty bad

time to replace with aluminum & powder coat crinkle....

Rgds,
    vincenzo

19. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That would have me cranky also...

20. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    No pictures yet, but mine look a lot worse than that picture, and my car has the upgraded heat shields already.

21. Fundlawyer

Fundlawyer Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Old Westbruy, NY
    Full Name:
    Douglas Hirsch
    I just had all of my carbon fiber in the engine bay refinished under warranty. I have on 07 430 and had a cracked exhaust manifold. Ferrari thinks the excessive heat from the cracked exhaust manifold caused the carbon fiber to discolor. They put in new exhaust headers and the refinished carbon fiber looks amazing. I hadn't realized how much they discolored until now. I'll let you know how they hold up with the new exhaust headers, but people who have severe discoloring should have their exhaust manifolds checked because Ferrari has had a lot of problems with the headers on the 430 and this causes excessive heat in the engine bay.

22. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    Did they refinish the carbon panels or replaced them? Mine got replaced.

23. A_Scuderia_F430

Oct 31, 2012
    SE + DE
    Full Name:
    Michael
  24. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx