Best Places to Live around Tacoma | FerrariChat

Best Places to Live around Tacoma

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by 10boom, Apr 12, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 10boom

10boom Karting

Jan 5, 2005
    WA
    I might take a job in Tacoma and am headed out there tomorrow to do a little scouting of the area. I wanted to get some inputs from people that live out there now. I've done some research on the Gig Harbor area and it looks nice, but don't really know what else to look at. The biggest things I'm concerned about are good schools, not a terrible commute into Tacoma, and the other usual stuff.....crime, etc....can you guys give me some pointers for good areas to look at? Thanks

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    The big concern at present in Tacoma is the traffic situation with the Hwy 16 / Nalley Valley interchange, which is under construction. The DOT apparently has the high volume of traffic merging into a very confined space, and drivers are really getting nasty about it. It won't last forever, but I've been reading about it quite regularly in the Tacoma paper. They had to do something about it, and it does take time. This is in the area where the huge propane explosion took place a couple of years ago.

3. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    I lived in Tacoma for my first 11 years and Gig Harbor the last 29. I can give you all the info you need and more. We still own a home in Tacoma but spend no time there.
    you can PM me with any questions

Tacoma has two small towns inside it's borders Fircrest and University Place. University Place has the top rated schools in the Tacoma area by far. Most sought after for Schooling in that area by far. My wife is a Real Estate agent so she knows even more about the housing in the area than I. Gig Harbor's schools are a click above from there. It takes me 12 minutes from my home in Gig Harbor to Tacoma across the bridge at 7:30am so No traffic issues at all. It used to be 4 times that before the 2nd bridge was built. I would recommend almost anywhere in Gig Harbor. There is a toll to cross from the Harbor like $3.50 a day ( oneway )

Mark

4. 10boom

10boom Karting

Jan 5, 2005
    WA
    Thanks for the info guys, pm sent Mark.

5. Jim Frentress

Jim Frentress Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2007
    Laguna Niguel, CA United States
    Full Name:
    James Frentress
    I lived downtown Tacoma and also in Proctor District of Tacoma for a total of three years. Feel free to email me for details and consultation. My son was in the top 1/2 of 1% of accelerated programs in elementary and also now in high school in Texas. I have quite a bit of information regarding education in Tacoma as well. We lived on Mercer Island for 10 years, and the accelerated programs there were no better than the programs he had in Proctor for elementary. High School is more of a challenge, but there is a full IB program in Tacoma. Russell Investments (an important financial anchor in Tacoma) has recently decided to relocate to downtown Seattle. That will definitely change the dynamics in the area.

6. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    I don't disagree that the Tacoma Schools have some good programs. Just pointed out that Univ place and Gig Harbor are top in the area.

7. coverland

coverland Formula 3

Apr 22, 2007
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Colin
    +1, I actually just turned down a position with Russell because I am sick of downtown Seattle, really sucks that they're moving.

8. Rubi

Rubi Formula Junior

May 4, 2009
    Pacific Northwest

Hmm, I think someone misread Jim's post. Might be me.

9. Jim Frentress

Mar 7, 2007
    Full Name:
    James Frentress
    I hear that a lot.

Click the link below, choose to compare three schools. 1. Tacoma Public Schools - Lowell Elementary 2. University Place - Chambers Elementary (the only choice for 'Elementary') 3. Peninsula School District - Evergreen Elementary (actually, pick any of the elementary schools listed... results will be about the same.)

Tacoma at Lowell is higher than all of them.

http://reportcard.ospi.k12.wa.us/SideBySide.aspx?schoolId=2104&OrgTypeId=4&reportLevel=School&orgLinkId=

10. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    University Place is pretty cool... GREAT schools... lived here for a number of years.
    Fircrest is also pretty cool - I was born and raised there :)

Jedi

11. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    funny my bro in laws dad was the principle at Lowell for 20 plus years but I would looke deeper into middle and high schools. I am sitting in Tacoma eating now. I do not dis Tacoma. but all their Jr Highs arent close to Gig Harbor

12. Jim Frentress

Mar 7, 2007
    Full Name:
    James Frentress
    Middle is definitely more of a challenge, and High School is just about impossible to accept in Tacoma. Funny about your relative. If he was there ~2006, I know him.

13. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ...agreed - hence the move to UP for my kids.... HS in UP is VASTLY superior to Tacoma.

Jedi

14. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    SEATTLE !!! LOL

15. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave