Sourcing 308qv pistons valves etc | FerrariChat

Sourcing 308qv pistons valves etc

Discussion in '308/328' started by motionbroker, Apr 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. motionbroker

motionbroker Rookie

Feb 29, 2008
    The dreaded day that a full engine rebuild is necessary is unfortunately here.

I was blowing a lot of smoke and consuming far too much oil and my mechanic and I finally decided that there was no choice but to pull the engine. What we discovered was that the previous owner must have either broken a valve or timing belt and did the bare minimum to get the car running again. Given the condition of one of the pistons its amazing the car was running as well as it did. Strange too since it passed a leakdown test and had solid dyno results when I bought the car a few years ago.

Now that we have the engine apart it makes little sense to not to do a complete job but I want to be sensible about where the money goes..

A couple of questions:

1) Since only two of the pistons are damaged is it crazy to consider just buying two new pistons and a new set of rings or would I be significantly better off buying a full new set of pistons? I have spoken with Superformance where I normally buy parts and they are saying 2-3 months to make a set whereas there are a number available on ebay second hand and new (though not a full set.)

I have read about people talking of the advantages of high compression pistons but Im a bit concerned about this option since my car is based in thailand and normal 95 fuel is increasingly hard to get, Almost all stations only carry 95 gasohol. My mechanic has advised against the high compression option.

If I choose to go with a full set anyone got recommendations for a good supplier? I assume the aftermarket has some good options these days but I would really value the opinions of those of you out there who have had experience with the various suppliers.

2) The valves and guides while still marginally ok should probably be replaced, especially given the prevalence of exhaust valve breakage in these cars. Superformance has these in stock but I would be interested if any of you have experience with alternate supplliers.

I hope I dont get flamed for this post since I have used the search function but was not able to find as much information on this subject as I thought there would be.

Any advice would be extremely welcome as being based in Thailand this forum is my best source of experience and knowledge.

Thanks in advance

MB

2. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    I have purchased 3-4 sets of light weight oversize pistons from from ROSS racing pistons in USA or there's JE pistons USA etc! turn around time is about 4-5 wks good luck

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    There is no problem with only replacing the damaged pistons if the others are in good condition. Rinds can be had from totalseal for a couple hundred dollars last I checked.

The stock US QV engine runs just fine on 91 RON (87 (RON+MON)/2 US rating

I just ordered from JE, but Ross and wiseco are also very good

There is a stick at the top on the 308 section with every supplier you will ever need ;)

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Just make sure the replacement pistons & rods are the same part # & weight as the originals.

5. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian

The short answer to all your questions: call Daniel at Ricambi America. I have the good fortune of living here in town with him. Great guy. He will get you any parts you need (at a reasonable price) or he will give you tremendous leads. He just did that for me when I was looking. Cannot go wrong with Ricambi.

6. motionbroker

motionbroker Rookie

Feb 29, 2008
    My car is originally from the UK. Would the pistons available in the US be the same for this model or are they different?

I have located some OE Mahle pistons but they are from a US supplier and Im not sure if they will be the same.

Thanks
    Dennis

7. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Dennis, you definitely don't want to end up with different spec pistons for 2 of them. There's nothing wrong with replacing only two, however, you've got to get a match - weight, sizing, etc. First step would be to try to determine who made your pistons and then weight and measure (total diameter, wrist pin diameter, skirt length, etc.) then to see how close you can get. Better to be heavier than lighter - a good machinist can bring down the weight in the right manner to match the rest.

Personally, I'd buy a full set and have my machinist balance them to a high level, get some good rings, etc. Then you'll know you've got a good foundation - the pistons are really the muscles of your engine.

Do it all carefully and slowly and you'll be fine.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There will be large cost difference, between adding two used ones to your set, then checking and adjusting the weight...

vs.

A new set of eight...

Your call....

9. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    And, a large reliability difference.
    New pistons from JE have a better alloy.
    (When your up to your elbows,,, don't skimp now.)

My mechanist,,, says,, "Boom."
    $$$$$$$$$$$.....!!!!!!!!!
    Pay a little now....

Edwardo

PS I have 7 QV liners.
    cheap.
    .. PM me if needed.

10. motionbroker

motionbroker Rookie

Feb 29, 2008
    Really appreciate all the input.

Now that the shock has worn off a bit I have decided to replace all of the pistons.

Its a bit complex since I am located in Thailand and making sure we get everything right its going to take time and a lot of courier charges but I want to do it right.

I have sent mails to JE and Ross as well as Eurospares and others.

Will keep you all posted.

Thanks again
    MB

11. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Some of the experts on this chat have spoken but I thought the QV pistons were of high quality, forged and not cast like the older 2V pistons, didn't Mark E have 500HP on standard pistons without a problem? Also the QV exhaust valves are not sodium filled so not prone to break like the 2V valves?

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It was running on 'used parts', until now.....LOL!

13. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Another Dutch Fchatter bought a car with a broken piston and a few broken valves, he fixed it with a used piston he got from me and some new valves and has a fine engine now.
    Sometimes a repair is sufficient as opposed to an all out engine rebuild.

14. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    I got my valves from SI Valves in CA. You'll be shocked at the low price.