Sport Exhaust Question | FerrariChat

Sport Exhaust Question

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by PhilNotHill, Apr 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I have owned several Porsches all stock: 911s, 944, Boxster S

Looking at buying a new one and there is a Sports Exhaust option I am considering. A $2000+ option. One of my complaints about Pcars is how they sound (like sewing machines) so I am looking to see if the Sports Exhaust option would solve this.

The dealer has discouraged after market exhausts. I would be interested in experiences with them as well.

Thanks.

2. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    my first 911 had the sport exhaust on it. compared to my catless, challenge exhaust muffler 355, and my catless stock muffler cs, it sounds like a whisper.

now i did get fabspeed muffler bypass pipes installed on my last 911, and that really made a very nice difference. plus you get the added bonus of shaving at least 50 lbs of muffler of the back end.

it still was not as loud as my other cars, which may have actually been a good thing. but it was loud, and it was a pretty good sound too. check out fabspeed, i'm sure they have some audio clips. best part about them is they are cheap, relatively speaking.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have the sport exhaust on my Boxster RS60. I'm not sure I would have initially chosen this option, but it was included as part of the package on the RS60. I'm really happy with it and would probably choose it if I were spec'ing a car myself. Its also nice because there is a button you can press turns the system on/off...so you can choose weather you want the "louder" exhaust or not.

You should be aware the sport exhaust does not make it sound like an F car. But only a Ferrari sounds like a Ferrari! I've heard some after market exhausts on Porsches, and to be honest, I've never been impressed with any of them. Most of them make Porsches sound like muscle cars. The factory sport exhaust system gives the car a throatier sound, its louder, and IMHO sounds great at higher RPMs...but its not unreasonably loud. If you want something really loud then you would probably have to go aftermarket.

Hope this helps.
    Best regards,
    Dino

4. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have had several customers with Porsche's that have the factory sport exhaust option with the switchable system. Every one of them is very happy with it, albeit expensive.

5. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    my dealer encourages aftermkt because they sell them! the PSE is nice due to it switchable option. The sound is nice, but I like the sound of the Tubi better. Frankly IMO Fabspeed claims are a bit hard to believe. But in the end it is a 6cylinder.

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

there are sooooo many options for an ss sport exhaust...off the rack or custom.

do it!

7. Alex@fabspeed

Alex@fabspeed Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2006
    Fort Washington, PA
    What is exactly is hard to believe about our clams?

8. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Amen,

I have installed a lot of Fabspeed products on lots of Porsche's (and have Fabspeed on my Mondi). They are a solid hard working group of guys putting out good product. I think each power gain claim I have seen from them has been backed by a dyno chart. You can trust them.

9. clickclickboom

clickclickboom Karting

Dec 30, 2009
    PA
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I have a PSE on my car that is modified to stay on loud. I definately wouldn't want the car any quieter. Youtube has plenty of sound clips of various exhaust.

10. maseraticoupe

maseraticoupe Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    Texarkana
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Crisp
    I had the SE on my wifes 08Boxster S and We both enjoyed it, I could always tell when she had fun on the way home from work as she pulled into the garage. I had it removed when she traded the boxster in on a 09 977 last year. Still have if anyone is interested. PM me

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I have fabspeed muffler by pass on the 997 and that was the best $400 i spent (or less..dont remember how much.). The sound above 3k is awesome and at 6/7k, it's mind blowing.

12. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I have a custom system from the headers on my 993RS and it is so loud that for the first time in my life I am going to make an exhaust system quieter. I am fitting sport cats back where I have straight pipes. The noise is embarassing at 6,000. And this comes from someone who has Tubi on F40, megaphones on 288GTO...

13. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    I had PSE on my 04 C4S and loved it so much that I had the local dealership add PSE to my 997.2. (PSE was not an option when they first came out).The sound (again) is outstanding!

Plus...... know what...... when (if) I go to trade it in, honestly some systems put on cars the dealers just don't want them. The PSE is proper for the car along with the proper PCM upgraded switch panel. (Like a good sound system, sure it cost's quite a bit more, but the sound is great).