Respray front end? | FerrariChat

Respray front end?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by baron, Feb 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. baron

baron Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    I am planning to put the 360 up for sale but the front end has quite a lot of chips (car has about 14k miles) due to normal wear-and-tear. I am quite surprised that the paint is so soft. I talked to a master painter and he said the only way to make the front-end looking good again is to have the front resprayed, and he can get an accurate match on the color. Will having the front-end resprayed hurt or help the resale of the car? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
    Baron

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I'd say go for it. Front end repaints are to be expected on F-cars. Why risk having someone getting hung up on rock chips. It will cost you a few bucks. I think about $800 plus. On second thought, you could offer it as an option to someone. Tell them that you're planning to have it done and it costs X so the price of the car is whatever plus the repaint cost. If they grind you then tell them to take the car as-is and do it themselves if they want. The net is if you pay for it and have it done I doubt you'll get it out.

3. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    [I would take several "before" photos, when I see new paint, I think what might have been under it to warrant a repaint and then usually shy away, if it had photos I may go for it.

4. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Nose jobs are something that all Fcars seem to be keen on. They seem to pick up the chips just to prove to you that they need the work. At 14k miles you've done really quite well as I did mine twice in about 10k miles at about £500 ($800-$1000 depending on exchange rate). The painters will certainly get a perfect colour match so no need to worry about that, but they may try to talk you into doing the entire front end which will cost more.

5. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Spray it. Take before and after photos to document that there was no damage. I spray the fronts on all my cars every couple years. It's just a nice way to "freshen up" the car and get rid of rock chips.

At the end of the day it's just a car. Drive it, wash it when it's filthy, maintain it mechanically, fix the cosmetic things that bother you and sell it when you're tired of it.

6. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I agree with the general thoughts. I have had the front removed and resprayed twice thus far. As long as you have documentation that it is for bug dents or rock chips, no big deal.

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Baron: selling the 360? Did you get my email a few weeks back? How is your dad doing? I saw Victor cruising around by the house, too.

What are you planning on getting instead? I think the general concensus is right: take pictures, then respray. Likely the buyer won't care and will appreciate it.

--Dan

8. ferrarinascar

ferrarinascar Rookie

Feb 15, 2004
    Irvine
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I would be interested in taking a look at in, even consider buying it. Sprayed or not. PM if interested.

9. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    repainted front noses are comon. Put Stongard on your next car to avoid the chips.

10. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    I had my 348 resprayed from the cowl forward after a CA-NC drive a few years back and it turned out perfect for about $1300. Insurance picked it up, except for the deductible, because I hit a tire tread on the way across the US which made a few nicks in the spoiler.

11. Jeru

Jeru Karting

Nov 16, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I was quoted $600 from the most highly respected bodyshop in FL.

12. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I used to have to count on respraying the noses of my cars every couple of years.

With my 348 I went so far as to pick up a spare nose that was already sprayed and I would just drop the chipped one off. I can get the 348's nose off in 1/2 hour now! Usually runs about $300

Respray the car! The buyer will know that you take care of your car.

13. baron

baron Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Thanks for all the responses. Looks like the consensus is to go for the respray.

14. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Baron, if your person is a "Master Painter" why does he have to do the whole front end and not just the front bumper? What color is the car? Unless of course, the fenders and hood need to be resprayed. If so, do the whole thing. But if it doesn't, can't understand why the painter cannot make the match.
    Just curious and if I were you, I would want to know.

15. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Does putting on Stonegard or 3M have a negative impact on the resale value of the car?

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Why would it effect the resale? No chips, easy to clean and virtually invisible.

All my cars have it and I've never had a problem selling

Ciao....Dino

17. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    Have any of you seen "Mischief 3000"? I believe it was the 2nd video where they showed the nose of a few F cars after the race and the front ends were TOTALLY SANDBLASTED from driving across country! You are lucky with a few chips! I'd probably get it repainted.

18. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Look at the thread I started "Stradale with a problem". He decided to go ahead and respray!

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

if done properly...fine. just photo doc it as that is always the prudent thing.

stone guard before you drive it again. i am in so cal and i can tell you, the most beat up looking exotics are all here! the roads are relentless!!

20. RSraddo

RSraddo Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Battle Creek, MI
    Full Name:
    Kyle Davidson
    I know the pic you speak of, I believe it is one of an F50 and it really looks like the paint was sandblasted off the car. Does Ferrari use a super soft paint?

Kyle

21. RSraddo

RSraddo Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Battle Creek, MI
    Full Name:
    Kyle Davidson
  22. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    It all depends how bad it really is. If just a few chips, and not detracting from the car, I would leave it alone. You can always just adjust the final sale price to reflect the cost of a touch-up, if necessary. If the car is flawless, except for this, why worry about it. If you do decide to have it done, I would document with before and after photos. In addition, I would be very concerned with overspray & the quality of the job being done. I have seen some messes which were from a simple touch-up. Getting overspray on seals, etc, can leave a worse impression on a buyer than a few stone chips: sure it was just a few stone chips......! I'd rather adjust the price, and let the buyer handle the re-paint. No questions, in their mind, and they get the final job that they want on the paint.

23. rockblocker

rockblocker Rookie

Feb 16, 2004
    I would recommend respraying then getting a clera bra installed on at least the bumper to help reduce the rock chips greatly and keep your repair costs down.