HK Exotics spotting | Page 63 | FerrariChat

HK Exotics spotting

Discussion in 'Asia' started by ApeGen, Feb 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Hey DM18, would you please share with us how does the 288GTO handle? What are your thoughts of it since very very few of us would even get a glimpse of it much less owning one! U lucky chap! :D

2. Jon@Tezta

Jon@Tezta Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Hong Kong / Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Indeed Erwin! I still cannot believe how many km's he has on his RS but its a great car i must say.

3. RWP

RWP Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2008
    HK
    Super. I will be keeping an ear out for sure!

4. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    For sure you will hear it. Megafonos are not quiet!!!

5. cnchung

cnchung Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Hi, I am not sure, just took the pic that's all. How's your car lately?

6. Onlinesys

Onlinesys Formula Junior

May 1, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Hi DM18,

Long time no see! I guess the weather should be fine on Sat. instead of Sunday.
    Are you using the "moving permit" to drive the 288GTO? I am a bit uncomfortable
    nowaday to take the LHD car out lately due to the change in rule recently.

Have a nice spin!

7. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Long-time no see!

I am only able to go for drive on Sunday morning so I am at the mercy of the weather.

Yes I use a movement permit. Trouble free.

LHD car is technically ok with t-plate but not on Sunday morning as it is impossible to show a business rather than personal use. I have used my t-plate to shuttle LHD cars for service during the week with no problems.

8. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Absolutley amazing. It is such a great road car. Perfect balance, nimble and the connection with the road is like an Elise on steroids. By far my favourite Ferrari. F40 is a tractor on the road in comparison. I have never tracked my 288GTO so I have no idea how it rates in that environment but I have read the posts of Steve Hill who seems to find it more than capable. I have 930 Turbo SE that is the same year as my GTO and they are an interesting pair. The Turbo is a sledge hammer and the GTO is a scalpel

9. IcyJ

IcyJ Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2010
    Hong Kong
    Went to Tai Mei Tuk this morning, and the road was closed, so there were less exotics, AND I missed a picture of a 288 GTO because it was going the other way and I was too slow with the camera. Such a great opportunity missed :(

10. al812

al812 Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Hong Kong
    Nice seeing your 288 park next to my friend's SV in jockey club...Hope to see it again...

11. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Don't worry - I will let you know when I am next using the car. Had a great day out. Saw lots of friends and put 200kms on the car as I used it for errands on the way back

12. SFchallenge

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Wow, sounds very enticing! When I was a boy, the GTO was on my wall & always remembered those quad-square lamps down there & the up right mirrors. Thank you for sharing with us. Some good pictures will be great! Btw, how many GTO & F40 are there in HK/China now? How about Taiwan or Korea?

13. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #1563 ApeGen, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good to know that the weather didn't let you down DM, and had your chance to exercise the 288! :)

Saw quite a few Cali over the weekend and must admit its looking better the more I see it, but the lines are still way too soft; spotted a TDF one on the road which is gorgeous! Also didn't know the new Bentley is out...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Sir Paul

Sir Paul Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2008
    HONG KONG
    Only trouble is, in my opinion, you could soon do a bit of body work on a MB SL and get a similar look. I mean, take alook at the cockpit and roof lines....very SL...not Ferrari.....although SL also has better looking rear end! IMHO!
    I go off it the more I see it....and we are seeing quite a few driving around these days.
    PAUL

15. Sir Paul

Sir Paul Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2008
    HONG KONG
    Simply georgeous!
    Thanks
    PAUL

16. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Absolutely agree with you Paul.

I should explain that I used to think that the Cali was unacceptable when it was first launched. You can probably find me in any Cali bashing threads in the early days. Now that it can be seen more often on the roads and also had the opportunity to test drive it, my perspective became more positive - but the lines are not Ferrari by any means hence my complaint of it being too "soft" :)

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    She is gorgeous! It must be something to be able to take her out for a drive whenever you want. So beautiful!!

18. scuderia513

scuderia513 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2008
    OH
    Full Name:
    TYI
    This is spectacular. I was wondering how you can get a regular license plate when the 288 is LHD?

19. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    The licence plate on the car is it's UK registration. I use a movement permit in Hong Kong

20. scuderia513

scuderia513 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2008
    OH
    Full Name:
    TYI
    Oh ok gotcha. I hope I will see you driving it when I visit HK in June.

21. SFchallenge

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Bellissimo! Bellissimo!

Oooo thanks for answering our call. She's such a beauty, look @ the rear arches & those very naughty pipes :D

I'm keen to bring in an interesting car to Singapore under "racing cat" so I don't pay the exorbitant tax & put it on T plate once in a while as well but the authority there certainly won't be very impressed :)

U're a very blessed man!

22. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
    Great car :) Thanks for sharing the pics!

I once got a 30min ride in one as a passenger. Quite a nice ride, especially when the turbo comes in and you can follow the turbo pressure on the little gauge :)

Martin

23. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    #1574 cwwhk, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
    DM you show off. :D :D

Love your car.

If I stop pi##ing away my money on racing maybe one day I can afford one of these beauties.

24. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    You have even more special race car with a kangaroo on it!!! My bet is that you will be racing and managing your team when you are older than RL!!! Season now starts to get busy for you