Ferrari 599XX sets new record on the Nurburgring | FerrariChat

Ferrari 599XX sets new record on the Nurburgring

Discussion in '612/599' started by 2mnyToys, Apr 23, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  2. cridom60

cridom60 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    dominique
    quite funny that Ferrari "will dispute that the Radical is not a production-derived sports car" when you know that this Radical SR8 LM reached the ring by the road from UK!
    So the 599 XX is not by far the quickest "production-derived sports car".

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Prett lame from Ferrari. I was wondering what they were doing there.

4. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Marketing without substance... No one will fall for this irrelevance.

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ditto

6. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Well I kind of agree and disagree.

I agree that the spin put on it by Marketing is BS pure and simple - but then any time by a road car on the 'ring is also BS, its just become part of car guy culture and this "important" in many people's minds. Hence the BS.

I also think the video is pretty cool - good to see that Ferrari will put their car out there and run a flying lap of the ring and time it. I say more of this please, lets have Ferrari publish their times for their cars at the ring.

7. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I enjoyed it regardless. Ferrari always has a way with words.

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #9 Napolis, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It was an expensive lap. There's a thread here somewhere where you can see atempt one being hauled away.

Instead of Ring Wanking I'd rather see them try to finish 1oa here.

It's been 45 years...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Well on that front I'm with you :) but that's a rather more expensive proposition also!

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    True. True. True.

Best

11. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

100% agree, its about bloody time they went back to la Sarthe. But i fear until the rules change to suit GT's and not prototypes, we wont be seeing any attempt for over all victory.

12. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Agreed plus.

I'm surprised anyone is giving Ferrari any "crap" for running this car hard at the Ring?

The car did a sub 7 min lap for pete's sake. Name the cars, production, sort of production or otherwise with that time. Ok the radical...what else?

I talked with the project's lead engineer last week in Italy. He told me then confidentially that the 599xx was going below 7 min. With a little tweeking and a more tests it can go lower--possibly 6:45 to 6:50.

No matter, 6:58 is a hell of a time at the Ring and if you watch the video--its a damn great drive. I only see one or two places where it appears there was a slight misstep.

This is a 12 cyl, production racer--but its NOT that far off being a full out production car with slicks. Yes it has active aero--not legal. Yes, its a specialized car for the track and not the road. But, Ferrari never claimed it was a road car...

I sense a lot of angst--let's see, the Porsche factory always runs the ring. They publish times. They continue to use it a their bench mark--indeed, its part of their heritage.

But for years, everyone whined about Ferrari for not doing so, not factory testing.

Now they do so, and you're whining again. Ok, they damaged a car a few weeks ago in their tests. Big deal. Factory cars are damaged all the time during testing.

The bottom line is Ring is a hard, serious, base line test of performance. For any car.

And Jim, what dog do you have in this fight? You know sub 7 min is an impressive time for any car, especially one based off a production platform. The P4/5 is based off the Enzo platform--put slicks on it, tweek it, hire a factory driver and then test it. Do you believe it'll run sub 7's?

Indeed, the same engineer that I talked with gave me insight on the 599 GTO, too. Its being tested--whether the results are published by the factory has not been decided. (I hope they do publish) But from work so far its very encouraging--and no it won't be sub 7 min, but the engineering guys seem confident it's going to be very, very quick.

Enjoy this for what it is--a hell of a car knocking out a hell of a time. Period.

13. E40racer

E40racer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2008
    Belgium
    The top langstreckenpokal (VLN) racers do it in 6:40-45. Those are Porsche GT3R's and the Audi R8's, these cars have air restrictors and limited aero's. So it's a bit difficult to compare them. Langstreckenpokal (VLN) is an endurance championship on the Nurburgring, consists of 10 4 and 6 hour races, all held on the Nurburgring.

14. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    +1
    Well said.

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ditto.

P 4/5 Competizione will be similar and will race there.
    I remain hopefull it will be competitive against those guys.

P 4/5 is a road legal car so comparing it to a 599xx is silly.
    Of course it won't be sub 7 but I do think it would beat an
    Enzo and as it weighs 2650 lbs. I think it would do ok there.

16. vegas

vegas Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Australia
  17. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    That's me that is

18. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Yeah... but the car seems speed or rev limited. On that LONG straight, it didn't go faster than 300KPH which that car clearly can do.

19. Seth Thomas

Seth Thomas Karting

Jan 25, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Seth Thomas
    It depends on how they had the car trimmed out aero wise for the run. If Ferrari had the car setup for more downforce then it might be limited to that speed or they didn't want the public to know how fast it really went so the data is a little skewed in the video.

20. mimon911

mimon911 Karting

Jun 2, 2009
    that rocks.
    really unbelievable.the track is that heavy to drive.
    Under 7 minutes,he is amazing and also the 599Fxx.
    perfect.

21. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    Despite of the 599XX being a track-only car, this shows Ferrari efforts to prove the speed of their current cars.

Ferrari tested the 430 Scuderia at the Nurburgring, Schumacher actually crashed one of the test cars. The Nurburgring helps develop cars for a variety of driving conditions that Fiorano cannot provide.

The 599GTO has been spotted already at the Ring, so most likely it will be a well tuned and fast car compared to the 599GTB.

Some could say the Radical is a road legal car, but I disagree. Radical, Ariel Atom, and all the crazy Sportracers would never be allowed to be street cars in U.S. No doors, no windows, no bumpers, if these things are road legal, it would be very easy to say a F1, CART, IRL car is road legal as well.

The 599XX is a track-only car, but it is a platform development for future Ferrari road cars, same as the FXX, and they are both based on road cars. The lessons learned during the development and testing of the 599XX is exactly what is going to make the 599 GTO the best ever (performance wise) front engine Ferrari.

I bet the 599 GTO will be able to lap the Ring under 7:35 with the Pirelli Corsa System tires, and I'm glad to see Ferrari testing and tuning at the Ring, rather than the fishbowl Fiorano test track.

22. ObeyMyFast!

ObeyMyFast! Rookie

Mar 7, 2010
    San Diego
    They say that the F1 cars can go around the ring in 4 minutes :O

23. Integra

Integra Karting

Mar 24, 2010
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    Federico
    Totally agree!!