360 running rough/missing | FerrariChat

360 running rough/missing

Discussion in '360/430' started by JPN800, Apr 25, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JPN800

JPN800 Karting

Apr 12, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    JP
    I had my car in the garage for a few days with the hood/trunk open and the battery switch turned off (so the battery wouldn't die) and now When I start it it seems to have a miss/sputter. Almost sounds like a bad coil but it was fine when I put it away last week. I have read on here that the ECU have to re-learn their program after having the battery turned off, I did drive the car localy yesterday but it is running badly. While taking off from a stop light it will sputter then clear up as the rpm's climb. When I shift gears it will sputter again then clear up again. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

when you turn the master switch back on u need to let the car idle for 10 minutes without touching anything. Everything will then reset.

Also try the sport setting after you let everything reset. :)

3. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    +10

4. JPN800

JPN800 Karting

Apr 12, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    JP
    Should I turn it off again and start from the beginning? or is it ok just to start it and let it idle for the 10 min. Thanks for the quick replys

5. JPN800

JPN800 Karting

Apr 12, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    JP
    OK I just let it idle for aprox 15 min. and I still hear/feel a miss. I didn't drive it as it is raining here today. I'm open to any ideas. Thanks again

6. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

u need to shut off the main dial again. Wait a couple of minutes. Turn the main dial back on again and then let idle for 10 mins ish.

Not saying this is the fix, but its worth a try.

7. flipdowt

flipdowt Karting

Dec 13, 2008
    Mahopac,New York
    Full Name:
    John Flip
    also when you first turn the key to the on position you need to wait a few extra secs. until all the electronics reset

8. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Flip
    Love you avatar :)

9. JPN800

JPN800 Karting

Apr 12, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    JP
    OK. I shut the main switch for about 15 min. then turned it back on I then put the key to the on position for about 45 sec. then started the car and let it idle for about 10 min. It still has a miss......My next step will be putting in some dry gas, Maybe some condensation has built up in the fuel system. If that doesn't work I will pull and replace the spark plugs and inspect the coils. Does anyone have a way to test each coil? Thanks again

10. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    did you get a ck eng ligt on while driving?or ck eng light flashing?how many miles are on the car?

11. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    After any ferrari is turned off with the master switch and turned back on you need to let the car idle until a complete cycle has been achieved-ie the radiator fans come on because the computers need to know the parameters for a certain range.

Also when you start a car up after the master has been turned off make sure when it first fire it idles nicely. if it misses or stumbles turn the car off quickly and wait a few second and then try starting it again until it idles nice the moment the engine fires.

If you let it stumble and miss when you first start it, the car will believe this is the way it should run.

12. JPN800

JPN800 Karting

Apr 12, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    JP
    2003 360 spider F1
    24,xxx miles
    No check engine light now or ever, When I turn the key it says "check ok" I dont have the service history on the car. I am planning on a 30k service in the near future.

13. Argento6spd360modena

Argento6spd360modena Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2009
    To do it right, you must let the car cool, prefer overnight before turning the battery mater switch off and back on. This is per 360 drive cycle readiness procedure. Sounds strange, but that is just the way it is.

14. lpspeedster

lpspeedster Rookie

Dec 23, 2009
    GTA
    im not an Fcar expert (yet LOL) but I learned the HARD way on my previous 944 which also required a Regular Belt Replacement --my lack of prompt attention to it cost me the replacement of 75% of the valves!!
    I would humbly suggest DO THE SERVICE immediately (especially given your mileage and lack of history on the car)! Im sure the veterans will give a more informed opinion.
    Cheers!

15. JPN800

JPN800 Karting

Apr 12, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    JP
    O.K. I let it sit for two days with the switch off, Today I turned the switch on and did exactly as described above....same thing. I went a step further and pulled the coils to see if I had water or any visible damage to any. One coil had some condensation on the inside so I blew it out with air but still no luck. While the car was running I put my hand on the coil "I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not" all felt smooth except the one that had the condensation. So I switched it out with another coil to see if the miss would follow and the same cyl felt a slight miss, Now this cyl has a coil from another cyl. The car still has a miss. I didn't pull the plugs yet. I will just order a new set of plugs and then change them out unless anyone has another idea.

16. JPN800

JPN800 Karting

Apr 12, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    JP
    Update, The tapping I was feeling from the one clyinder was caused by a loose sparkplug. All my coils test OK. I drove the car yesterday and it still has a sputter only on take off. crusing on the highway it feels and sounds good. One other thing I discovered while working on this one time while trying to start the car the battery seemed weak. I tried again and it started, So last night I put a battery tender on it and today it still doesn't show that the battery is at 100%. I will be replacing my battery, Then I will see if the car will respond differently.

17. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

These cars are susceptible to weak batteries.

18. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You have dinked with this for a time now. By now if you had a real missfire the CEL should be on. You got no lights what makes you think you got a missfire?

19. Kinks360

Kinks360 Rookie

May 2, 2010
    GTA
    Full Name:
    Kink
    #19 Kinks360, May 2, 2010
    Last edited: May 2, 2010
    I have had the same thing happen a couple of times, but it was induced by trying to start the car before properly un-arming the system. It took a couple of sequences of turning the battery switch off, waiting for 5 min or so, turning the switch back on, i had to press the fob twice to get it into the proper security sequece, put the key in and start. You will hear the difference immediately, if not repeat the same process and eventually it will run properly.

Its happened twice to me and it sounded like it was running on 4 cylinders. It may not be an engine problem.
    Good luck

20. Kinks360

Kinks360 Rookie

May 2, 2010
    GTA
    Full Name:
    Kink
    I missed the part about it clearing as the revs increase, I dont think in the situation that happened to me that the engine would rev up enough to drive???

21. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    I had a slight miss-fire (and CEL) shortly after buying my 360M. It turned out to be a duff plug, so I had all 8 changed out and no probs whatsoever since.

22. JPN800

JPN800 Karting

Apr 12, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    JP
    Update,
    Battery was new and tested good. Alternator charging 13.7 at idle so thats ok. I found the reason I'm NOT getting a CEL....NO BULB. I will bring home my scanner tonight and see if any code are stored in the ecm. I let you guys know what I find out in the AM. Thanks for all the responces. I think I'm on the correct track by saying its a bad plug, We will see.

23. JPN800

JPN800 Karting

Apr 12, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    JP
    OK, Hooked up my scanner and sure enough. Generic missfire cylinder 2. At least now I know where to look. Now save me some time and let me know which cyl is number 2. Thanks

24. JPN800

JPN800 Karting

Apr 12, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    JP
    Changed out the plugs and I still have a miss, Now this time I get no codes for a missfire just a code for evap P0453. I just took it for a 50+ mile run and still no missfire code but it does not snap when i hit the throttle. Any ideas?

25. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    Compression?

g