Nicole Simpson's Ferrari? Did I buy it? | FerrariChat

Nicole Simpson's Ferrari? Did I buy it?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by jongottschalk, Apr 25, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jongottschalk

jongottschalk Karting

Oct 5, 2009
    Pass Christian, MS
    Full Name:
    Jon Gottschalk
    #1 jongottschalk, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not sure if Im posting this in the right place but here I go......

I was reading wikipedia about the mondial and read this:

"The Mondial was produced in fairly high numbers for a Ferrari, with more than 6,800 produced in its 13-year run, and was one of Ferrari's most commercially successful models. Today a Mondial represents one of the most affordable and usable Ferrari models. The car body was not built as a monocoque in the same way as a conventional car; the steel outer body was produced by the famous Italian coachbuilder Carrozzeria Scaglietti, just down the road in nearby Modena, built over a lightweight steel box-section space frame. The engine cover and rear luggage compartment lids are in light alloy. The seats and interior were trimmed in Connolly hide, contrasting with the body color. Most cars were painted rosso red, but some were black or silver, and a few were dark blue. At least two, one UK market car and one now in Southern California, were painted white. If this number is correct, the one white unit in Southern Ca was owned by Nicole Brown Simpson who bought it new and drove it often as a daily driver right up until her murder on June 12, 1994. Another car, originally sold in the US, and now residing in Houston, Texas with its 3rd owner, was painted "Nero Metallico", or dark gray metallic."

I have a white Mondial 3.2, and guess where it came from.......SoCal. Does anyone have any info or a picture of O.J. or Nicole Simpson driving around in their Ferrari?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I don't know if it's her car or not...

But it is a beautiful car... no doubt...

Mike

3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't have any pictures, but check out last sentence in the first paragraph of this:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=19940622&id=86IaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=zywEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6745,6541859

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Jon, what is the serial number? Wikipedia, unfortunately, isn't always correct with their information and details.

O.J. once owned a Testarossa (56871).

5. jongottschalk

jongottschalk Karting

Oct 5, 2009
    Pass Christian, MS
    Full Name:
    Jon Gottschalk
    #5 jongottschalk, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No, I know about Wiki being crap for a source, but I have read the same thing many different places. Im assuming the bit about two white mondials have to be for a certain year, not the whole production run, as I have seen a couple of white "T's" on this forum (one with Black wheels and one with the Euro color-keyed ground panels. Not to mention a mondial 8 in white Ive seen. What I have confirmed is that the car they had was a 3.2 and was white and cabrio. So if I believed the wiki, I'd give a 1 in 2 chance. But I dont, so it's probably like a 1 in 5, as it was a SoCal Mondi. The title only goes back to around 1996/7 or so? Not sure as I dont have it in front of me but it was retitled at one point. I will get the numbers later, but what can I match them to........

I also found out that OJ's Bronco and Ferrari were auctioned at some point to pay for his legal fees of 3.5 million...........

Im sure its not it but kinda find to do the research. If it isnt the car, I wonder who has it?

NOT original top:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    Most states have a public service that allows search of the state's
    data base for information about the possession and sale of a highway
    registered vehicle.

With California's rigerous concern about polution,
    there are even more documents likely to appear.

In some states, this is called the "title history,"
    or the "body of the title."

Having the VIN (serial number) and last-known
    California tag number is a big help.

If the car came directly from California, than someone in the
    chain of custody will have the Calofirnia Title number, also.

If you search your own state's data base,
    you may come up with some of the precceding
    California ownership documents.

It would be Sooooooo Kooooool to be on a date,
    parked overlooking the Brentwood area on a clear night,
    top down, moving closer and closer,

Her face turns to you, her eyes fix on yours....

Her lips part, you whister in her ear...............

"You know, Nicole sat in that seat
    just 10 minutes before whe was murdered?......

7. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    IIRC her Mondial was up for sale many years ago (I want to say late 90s), and it was a white T, not a 3.2

Also, one of the advertised features (I can't verify the authenticity) was that when the car was ordered, it was ordered with a pink tonneau cover (covers the top when down) in addition to a tan cover.

8. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #8 hank sound, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
    Right Brian - - I remember it being a t as well.

John doesn't care - right John? That white 3.2 Cab. is a a stunner !!!

Cheers, Hank

9. jongottschalk

jongottschalk Karting

Oct 5, 2009
    Pass Christian, MS
    Full Name:
    Jon Gottschalk
    IIRC? Does that mean "if I rememer correctly?" Which means you must be a young guy if you use that kind of acronym stuff.......lol. Do you have any links for that auction or info? I read that it was a 3.2 that was auctioned by OJ.

10. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Do a carfax and autocheck for the car. Sometimes the owner's name will appear. At the very least it will provide a bit more information about where it was smogged, possibly serviced, etc.

Alberto

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Post the last 5 digits of the VIN, and you'll probably get an answer.

12. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    According to Bluemel's book, (810) 3.2 Mondial Cabs were produced --- I find it very hard to believe that only (2) of them were painted white, as it was a fairly popular color in that era.

Have you run a CarFax, to see if your car was ever registered new in California? That may tell you if it is even possible that yours could have belonged to Nicole. Also, you may try giving FNA a call. They won't give out private info, but they can probably tell you where your car's original owner purchased it --- that could rule the possibility in or out.

13. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    If that's the same car (looks it) I drove it and smoked in it with Ron! ;):)

14. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #14 hank sound, Apr 25, 2010
    Say Homer, why do these here leather seats smell like ceeegars?

And BTW - John, do post those last five VIN numbers, and my book by M. Urban will be able to tell you the year and possibly more.

Cheers,

Hank

15. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss
    Whoa.....

16. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Yeah, he was my ex roommate's good friend. He hung out a lot and had the car often.... ;)

17. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #17 Jet-X, Apr 25, 2010
    More or less (If I recall correctly, or if I remember correctly)...hehe, I'm 38, wouldn't say young :D

I'll do it once more though: IIRC, her car was also a 1989 t, 1990 at latest. Dunno for sure.

I don't have this info, I just remember seeing the car for sale online and I think even on Ebay at one point when I was looking for my car. I had no interest in the pink tonneau not to mention, because of the association (OJ), I didn't feel the car was worth a premium. And I also believe this car was offered for sale (much like Goldie Hawn's Mondial t) off and on for a couple of years. Auto Trader, Ebay, etc.

I don't remember if I saw a pic of the car with the pink cover or not...just that it was mentioned and all I could think was "ewww...."

Last thing, as pointed out, Wikipedia isn't always correct. There were plenty of white Mondial cabs (t and 3.2), and I had one too (with creme interior, just like the car in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels), mine was an 88. And I echo Hank's comments to the original poster, car looks great.

18. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Vin # is all i need..........

Cheers

19. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    VIN could be "officially altered" just like her old Bundy address...... ;):)

D'OH!

20. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Just thought I'd check if the VIN # of the Cab. in question, was white when it left the factory.

21. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    You're a saint among aints! :D:D

22. jongottschalk

jongottschalk Karting

Oct 5, 2009
    Pass Christian, MS
    Full Name:
    Jon Gottschalk
    I finally got back home......73489 are the last 5 of the vin.

23. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #23 hank sound, Apr 25, 2010
    #73489 Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet 87 White/tan LHD

This according to the Ferrari Serial Numbers Manual by Matthias Urban. I wonder if Ferrari of Beverly Hills can help?????? Hmmmmmm.......

Cheers, Hank

24. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Interesting, I would like to know more as well. But with this ser# does it mean that it is definitively NOT the Simpson car? or is that still a possibility?

PDG

25. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #25 hank sound, Apr 25, 2010
    I guess that it is only definitively NOT the Simpson car if her car was, in fact, a "t" model.:):) (smart ass, me) :):)
    Darth rode - - or drove in her car but it seems he's unable to shed any light on this mystery. Hmmmmm.

Brian feels almost certain that her car was a "t".

I'm betting that our local Fcar dealer would know if her car was a 3.2 or a t.

One thing for sure - - Jon's 3.2 started life in white livery with tan int.