Advice requested: considering buying a CS - stereo questions | FerrariChat

Advice requested: considering buying a CS - stereo questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by Licht, Apr 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Licht

Licht Karting

Aug 2, 2009
    LA
    Gentlemen,

Have been lurking here for a while benefitting from all the great information and useful advice... Am still a novice but looking to start out my Ferrari ownership in style.

I have a lead on a CS at a fairly attractive price. This one has no OEM stereo in it. While I recognize the benefit in terms of weight, I do think I want a system.... How many US CS's came with a stereo? Does anyone have experience putting an aftermarket stereo in? I have done so in other cars and frankly have mixed experiences.

For context I am not buying this to have it be a collectors car, but rather to drive it frequently and hard. Thus not worried about any potential value impact of putting an aftermarket system in the car (but I am worried about quality of the job, random creaks afterwards etc, overall visual impression)

Any and all advice would be great!

2. SURF

SURF Guest

Nov 6, 2004
    North Hampton,NH.
    I rarely turn mine on. the engine is the music.

3. swede

swede Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1

I listen to music/news in a regular car, but I rarely turn it on in the F-car. My dealer told me "the radio is in the back" and he was right!

4. jet

jet Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    If you want to listen to music then put one in or look for a CS that came with it if you don't want to change the way car was built. From personal experience although I love the sound of my CS as much as anyone, I want to listen to music on longer runs. BTW the factory system is pretty lame so you may want to change it anyway.

5. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Mine didn't have one either. I had a local shop do a nice job with 2 subs under the dash with two other speakers placed in the kick panels. No cutting or splicing and the entire thing can be removed leaving no evidence it was ever there. Alpine head unit that runs an ipod, no CD.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If you want a stereo, put one in. Its your car. Enjoy it.

7. Hellfrost

Hellfrost Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    Naples, FL
    There are always the super fan boys saying the only music that you need comes from the exhaust in every stereo thread. Unless you are redlining at every stop light, you won't really hear it much. By the way do you know who else loves to listen to that music? My local police department.

8. k-diddy

k-diddy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2004
    I have most of the factory parts if you need help.

9. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    IMO a high-end stereo is a waste of time & money in the CS. The acoustics are terrible, the road and engine noise are very high, the suspension is very stiff and and a CD/MP3 player will skip/stall on minor bumps. An iPod will be more useful in that respect, perhaps you could have someone install an iPod connector, hidden amp, and speakers in the dash where they're normally placed. That would give you some music, while minimizing weight and not messing visibly with the dash. I would avoid the temptation to do more as I don't think it would sound that great, no matter how much money you put into the system. BTW - I turned on the factory stereo once in the garage to figure out how it worked, then once again on a long stretch of freeway - I didn't bother after that.

10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  11. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I haven't changed the radio station on my in ..well probably since last year. I have a radio and all it creates is background noise.

12. Licht

Licht Karting

Aug 2, 2009
    LA
    Thanks guys... I'm debating... will post up once I make a move

13. charliebronson

charliebronson Formula 3

Dec 5, 2004
    Full Name:
    Charliebronson
    I get that you want a stereo in your car. I really liked that mine had it. However, after realizing that the OEM stereo is crap and that it's too loud to listen to anything while driving, I've never really used it. A really loud after market stereo would do it but you'd have to put in a head unit as well as an amp and big speakers. Just make sure the shop that does it, doesn't drill holes or make changes that are irreversible just in case you decide to sell the car.

-Peter Oh