is there any photographers on here? | FerrariChat

is there any photographers on here?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by pride & performance, Apr 30, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pride & performance

Feb 16, 2010
    lancashire
    Full Name:
    Nic Payne
    as above really,

is there anyone to ask about camera advice?

2. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    there is a few that think they are

francis n
    j tremlett
    fraccie

the best person in my opinion is LEE P if he is still on here

3. pride & performance

Feb 16, 2010
    lancashire
    Full Name:
    Nic Payne
  4. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    What do you want to know?

And the title should be "Are" there - not "Is" there.

Just like to get these little thjings right:)

5. ROADRUNNER3

ROADRUNNER3 Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2004
    LONDON
    Full Name:
    TIM SCOTT
    I'm looking in more frequently now I've bought a 308 !

What do you need to know ?

Tim

www.fluidimages.co.uk

6. Gemm

Gemm Formula 3

Aug 19, 2005
    Essex, England
    You mean 'things'?? :D

7. pride & performance

Feb 16, 2010
    lancashire
    Full Name:
    Nic Payne
    sorry for my poor inglish :(

the mrs's welshness must be rubbing of on me ;)

here is the question i asked on another forum but did't get any help :(

""at the min i am using a panasonic dmc fz7 and it is great but i am wanting a a camera that is just as capable but can be a little more fun too so am looking at a compact,

i fancy a sony one because of the panorama function they do,

the other things that i want from it that my current camera does are, (sorry i don't know the correct names)

hold the shutter button down and take multiple pics
    adjust the shutter speed so i can take long exposure pics,
    video
    and not imperative but i would really like it to do this - set it for self timer to take a pic every 10 min or 30 min etc etc, my N95 can do this but i can't find a camera to do it :wall:

and also it needs a tripod screw on the bottom

can anyone suggest what i could look at for around the £200 or under mark,""

Thanks

8. GFWilliams

GFWilliams Karting

May 26, 2010
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    George F. Williams
    Hi there,

I'd highly recommend that you either get a Nikon or a Cannon as in the Long run, when you upgrade you'll find it easier.
    For ~£200, you'll be able to get a beginner's DSLR.

A quick look on park cameras shows up these:
    http://www.parkcameras.com/15545/Canon-EOS-20D--USED-.html
    http://www.parkcameras.com/12661/Nikon-D3000-Body.html

If you are near Burgess Hill, I'd highly recommend that you pay a visit to Park Cameras as they are so highly knowledgeable and are one of the few camera shops who will sell the camera which suits you best and not try to get you to buy the most expensive one!

HTH

George

9. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    #9 alfas, May 27, 2010
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
    You don't need a canon/nikon dslr for more money, you can find the camera you are looking for for the money you want to spend.

P&S and bridge cameras are quite capable and can get you most/all of what you want for your budget.

Rather than here I think you will find more useful information over at dpreview.com in their forum section...

There are a lot of people that are active and very knowledgeable from all about the world who know/use all of the different cameras. There is also a database of camera reviews that can further help your decision making process.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/

If I was you I'd start in the Sony or Panasonic forum and go from there.

Good luck, I suspect you will have good results after a bit of time there, they're a helpful bunch.

10. Gemm

Gemm Formula 3

Aug 19, 2005
    Essex, England
    This is true, but as George said, Canon & Nikon have the advantage in the long run (especially at advanced level) purely due to the vast range of lenses, accessories, both new & 2nd hand. I used to be a Minolta user in the film days, but I got totally frustrated when I reached certain level as there just wasn't a choice available, so I made a switch to Canon.

11. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    #11 alfas, May 27, 2010
    The OP has a limited budget £200($300+/-) they want to spend.

a canon or a nikon dslr aren't going to address that.

I imagine size/portability is also playing a part in the decision making process.

projecting the dslr on them when they didn't ask about one is not going to solve any of the above.

P&S, bridge cameras for the money said being spent are the better option unless the OP chimes in otherwise.

when and if the OP ever considers an entry dslr and the budget of time to learn and money necessary there is not only that but other options as well(microfourthirds).

the Op is talking about a capable P&S/bridge and people are worried about him turning pro already... seems cart before the prancing horse-ish.

12. GFWilliams

GFWilliams Karting

May 26, 2010
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    George F. Williams
    As someone who has owned quite a few steps of the digital photography ladder and have friends around me with similar experiences, people who have got a bridge (myself included) have regretted it as they are a compromise between size and quality and do neither great!
    It is easily possible to get a beginner's Nikon or Canon, and you can get an even better spec one if prepared to buy second hand.

The Beginners DSLRs are very easy to use and have full auto modes.

Oh, and 4/3 is rubbish in terms of upgradability.

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My son just returned his Nikon D50 as he needed the D90 to do video, and a low light lens.

Pretty pricy investments either one ($700USD and $1400USD respectively...)

Checking the Pawn Shops would be a good idea, but these are delicate and I have no idea how you would test one....

14. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    #14 alfas, May 27, 2010
    we all have our opinion's and are entitled to them regardless, that doesn't make them fact as there are more P&S/bridge camera's in shooter's hands than dslr's that many that enjoy their size/price & varied abilities. simply put not everyone wants/needs a dslr so why assume they do especially in light of their clear statement to the contrary?

did you even read the OP's post, the budget and what they said THEY wanted?

yet they still won't fit in a pocket or will do all the things a well bought bridge/P&S will do unless the OP spends more than their stated budget.

in your humble opinion which belies fact as the upgrade path is little different than starting out with any entry dslr/lenses... but that's not what's at debate here, if you'd like to continue OT with nothing that contributes to the OP's question we can do that or might I suggest another thread to be fair to them.

15. GFWilliams

GFWilliams Karting

May 26, 2010
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    George F. Williams
    Joe,

I didn't say that anything I said was 'fact' and it is all an opinion, which I hope is allowed on here.
    I am only trying to help and have a wealth of knowledge about photography which I am using to recommend that path.

Please have a look at my website to see my photos. http://gfwilliams.net/
    Some of the photos shown were taken with my old Nikon D50 (although the more recent are with my D300). The beginner cameras are great to use!

I'm not trying to pick an argument, just trying to help. If I have caused that much offence with my opinion please just tell me to bugger off.

16. visualfxpro

visualfxpro Karting

Sep 11, 2009
    I don't use anything other than Canon and that is a very obvious decision for me because my Canon lens will not fit on a Nikon body! Also because my camera does what I need and therefore I see no reason to buy another camera. :)

Seriously, the only reason I only use Canon is because that is what I have already. Both Canon and Nikon are highly competative and manufacture some top products. I personally chose Canon because they did a better job of marketing their product to me. I had been way more familiar with the Rebel family well before I knew anything substantial about Nikon. I just knew Nikon first as a high end(expensive) camera that professionals use. That was my impression anyway.

Bottom line is you should really go to a store and try them out because with Canon and Nikon, I don't think there is really any "better choice", there is only "better choice for YOU". Things are done a little differencly on each camera so see what works for you. Right now the Nikon cameras have the swivel screen which is awesome and missing from my rebel. I think they may feature a little less noise also. Nothing to brag about though. Additionally I belive you can put a nikon lens on Canon but not the other way around.

I highly recommend the Canon Rebel Series as a great entry into the DSLR market. You can find the body used for about £300. New body is around £600 from Conrad.

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/pho/1694156149.html

Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions. I'll try to post up some of my Rebel Photos later today. :)

17. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    #17 alfas, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
    George,

As I hope are mine...

I realize that, as am I trying to help... that path comes with cost of both money and time to get the best out of it. The Op said they want a P&S with manual controls and a few specific features for short money, why tell them a used or new entry dslr that simply won't fit the bill for the on price point or more importantly features?

I did yesterday and enjoyed it, while I'm no paid photographer, I've taken a few photo's over the years and have had a few cameras as well.

I wasn't either, I simply don't agree that a pushing dslr is the de facto answer for this poster due to their specific statements in their post's for the reasons I've mentioned.

There's no offense taken by any means. The reality is £200($300+/-) isn't going to get you very far with a dslr. To get similar P&S/Bridge results for the money listed the time effort they'd have to spend to learn how to do it with a cheap, old, used, less featured dslr with a crap kit lens is IMHO simply not worth it. With a P&S/Bridge they can be getting results they are happy with much sooner as they are already familiar with their operation.
    Add the size advantage and it seems the way to go. IF/When time/money & interest get to a point with them they can then pursue more advanced kit.

If they came here saying suggest me a cheap dslr for £200($300+/-) then by all means go that direction, this wasn't the case and didn't seem helpful to the post topic...

I simply thought we were having a respectful debate... now bugger off... LOL

cheers,

Joe

18. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    #18 alfas, May 28, 2010
    IF they get to pick what choice is right for THEM then might it be good to let them pick from all the manufacturers(canon, nikon, sony, olympus, pentax) and see where the cards fall?... why limit them to just 2 when there are 5 in the marketplace that all have their pros/cons?

You might look at the Oly cameras, their flip lcd has the hinge in a far more useful place and they introduced the hinged screen before nikon did. but one wouldn't know that unless they looked at ALL the players in the segment.

you might look at teh Kx X as it has better high ISO than any of the others right now.

simply put, you pick your battles and choice in the marketplace is good, there's no right camera that does everything...

and if the OP was buying a dslr this would matter....

Instead you might want to read this from the OP

and then tell us how buying a £300 entry rebel is going to address ANY of THEIR CLEARLY STATED needs/wants...

This thread is not about VISUALFXPRO buying a camera for YOU, it's about helping the OP get what they say THEY want which is stated pretty clearly if you take the time to read the OP I quoted DIRECTLY.

OP - dpreview.com forums will get you the P&S/bridge camera information you seek as it's pretty clear the people here want you to buy and invest YOUR time/money you may or may not have in a camera THEY want you to have as opposed to the one YOU clearly stated YOU want...

NOT to mention there is more to life than the canon/nikon marketing mantra.... but that's a different thread on a different day.

19. visualfxpro

visualfxpro Karting

Sep 11, 2009
    #19 visualfxpro, May 28, 2010
    I think you took things WAY of in another direction. I'm not interested in the OP getting anything. I was only trying to help by sharing my experiences with the OP. I never said there was anything wrong with any other brand either. I just spoke about what I know and what some other posters were talking about. No need to get bent out of shape. Thank goodness people only act like this online. :)

By the way, I admit I did not pick up on all the OP's requirements, but hey, I'm busy at work trying to earn a living and thought I would take some of MY time to assist a person who was looking for help, so I'm sorry if I missed a few details. :)

Smile...it's FRIDAY!!!

20. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    the internet/forum world is ripe with possibility to take things out of context or meaning as typed text has no inference(sarcasm, hostility, joke, etc) other than the word on the screen...

I'm not bent out of shape, it just seemed the posts were far of field from the OP's question and i was just trying however inelegantly to get the focus back on the actual question.

We're all trying to help, I'm sure people have useful things to add but when they're not in the context of the question asked why bother?

no worries, beers cold and with any luck the OP found a camera by now and is enjoying it...

cheers

Joe

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #21 BigTex, May 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. visualfxpro

visualfxpro Karting

Sep 11, 2009
    Good point. He's out taking great shots while we are on here helping him buy the camera he just bought. lol :)

23. visualfxpro

visualfxpro Karting

Sep 11, 2009
    Stunning!! How on earth did you get the Cateran 7 shot? Looks like you were in grass but that would be too bumpy. Perhaps REALLY sunny day, REALLY fast lens and enough zoom to look like you are in grass when you are on a parallel road?

24. GFWilliams

GFWilliams Karting

May 26, 2010
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    George F. Williams
    I've got a rig which attaches to the car. The camera hangs off the car and using a very long shutter speed, the car is moved slowly to get motion into the shot.
    The rig is then photoshopped out of the photo.

Here is a shot with the rig still in the photo (please don't post this any where else):
    http://gfwilliams.net/rig.jpg

George

25. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #25 JazzyO, May 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Great work, George!

If I might butt in here - the OP is probably going to ignore my advice because it is not going to give him a solution right now, but this is how it worked for me. So - short history lesson.

When I was 9, my brother (who was 12) went and bought an SLR with the money he made from walking a neighbour's dog. We had been drooling over the brochure every night for at least a year and it cost him something like 200 rounds of walking. I got a 1950's rangefinder camera from dad, where you still had to guess the focus. My brother and I developed our own photos in the darkroom at school. When I was a student in 1993 I went on a trip to South Africa and decided I had to have an SLR. I couldn't afford it and almost sold it a couple of times, but I still use some of the lenses I bought then, secondhand. I knew what I wanted (which camera, which lenses) because I had done my research and I had the experience.

Respectfully - I think you should not go out and buy anything just yet. Read the photography magazines to find out which sort of photography you're interested in. Buy a book on those subjects. See what equipment those guys use. Then make a list of the things you want to buy and strike off what is not 100% necessary. Go and patrol the secondhand shelf in the local stores, or look on e-bay. For instance, my second camera is a Canon 20D which is a digital camera now 6 years old. It still makes wonderful shots but nobody wants it because it is "only" 8MP. You can pick one up at e-bay for probably 100 pound or less. It is more camera than most people know what to do with! Almost all the shots below were taken with that camera.

In the meantime, get a paper round! Make some money, save up, and then dive headfirst into this wonderful (but expensive) hobby. You will find that in this digital age, and if you're serious about your hobby, the camera is the least of your worries. You will need a flash unit (YES YOU DO!), decent tripod, good lenses are expensive etc.. If you photograph digitally, you would need a decent computer and decent software, both of which are very expensive.

I'm not saying this to put you off. I did it too, and it was worth all my pennies. Photography with the wrong equipment is not photography. It is just snapping away and it will leave you wondering why you're never getting any better.

Best of luck!!

Onno
    Image Unavailable, Please Login