Rear Brake Line Source | FerrariChat

Rear Brake Line Source

Discussion in '308/328' started by TURBOQV, Oct 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    #1 TURBOQV, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. ALUMINUMYELLOW328

ALUMINUMYELLOW328 Formula Junior

May 30, 2004
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rhett R Arcilla
    Try Martin from GIRODISC, he might be able to help you.

3. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    Thanks

I bought rear rotors from him but he did not have stainless steel brake lines. I doubt he will have these, but i will give it a try.

Thanks again

Paul

4. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I bought the straight piece of line from my local auto parts store - it was special order because of the unusual metric double flare - and bent it up to fit by my self. Not a big deal. It seems like any competent brake mechanic should be able to replicate it if I could do it myself on my first try.

5. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    If you are in need of the line, I can duplicate if you wish. I have a hose and fitting/line repair shop in house here and we have all the line and fittings you need.

Regards, Jim

6. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    That would be awesome!

Thank you!

Paul

7. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    just sent a PM to the good Dr. about this, but if anyone has input I'd sure appreciate it.

I'm replacing the rear brake lines on my 1985 308 QV while the motor is out - they're pretty dinged up and removed them anyway to clean/paint the frame.

Is this 'special' tubing, or will the straight pieces I just picked up from NAPA work after they've been trimmed to length and bent? Rather than spend ~$100 on a cutting/bubble end kit I'll find a brake shop to do it for hopefully $10.

Napa only had US fractional sizes brake lines (said there was no such thing as 'metric' brake lines?). The 3/16" tube looks to be the same diameter as OEM, has the 'bubble' ends, and the ferrules seem to be the same thread size.
    Instead of replacing the long line going from the front of the car back to the 3-way I'd like to splice in a piece about 3' long, joined with the existing tube with a female-female coupler right behind the firewall. I bought a coupler at NAPA and it threads nicely with the exiting ferryule and the new one.

I got the ~7" long line going from the rear 3-way to drivers side wheel from Rutlands for $5, but they didn't have the other two (3-way to passenger wheel and master cylinder to 3-way) in stock so trying to do this with locally available tubing if possible.

Appreciate any input!

thanks
    Kurt

8. viper_driver

viper_driver Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2009
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I ruined one of my lines and made one from the 'universal' premade lines at PepBoys. As I recall, I think the lines marked "European" had the correct ends. Just walk back there to the display on the wall and pick the one with ends that match yours. Mine had standard US pipe threads and was easy to match.

I think they were $3 each so I bought a few and then kept trying til I got one bent just right.

9. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    thanks - I'll stop by Autozone tomorrow to check their supply, but it sounds like the ones I bought are good to go. Just was strange to me to buy a brake line at Napa, a '3/16"' one at that, but I see that accd to http://www.fedhillusa.com/ the US ferrule is 24 pitch so I'll call that close enough to 1mm for the relatively short amount that'll be threaded.

Now I just need to find is someone with one of these:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5p7BKc7bok

cheers

10. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #10 Peter, May 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I used 3/16" tubing (with metric nuts that properly fit the 3/16" tubing) on my car and popped out the flares using the Fedhill tool.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    #11 TURBOQV, May 3, 2010
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
    Jim did me a huge favor and fabricated these for my car. The price was very reasonable and the turnaround time was less than a week. I highly recommend him to you for your brake lines. I didn't have the time nor the talent to make them myself and a very special Thank You to Jim McGee of Pocono Motorsports for doing it for me and responding to my post.

Cheers!

Paul