I outnegotiated myself today. Oops. | FerrariChat

I outnegotiated myself today. Oops.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Flatlander, May 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flatlander

Flatlander Karting

Aug 21, 2008
    Middle of nowhere.
    Full Name:
    Rich Struck
    Whenever possible, I try to negotiate prices down. It drives my wife insane but hey, I save a lot of money just by asking.

Anyway...

Today at a garage sale I saw something I though I could resell for good money on eBay. It was $8 so I offered him $5. Stupidity ensued....

Me: Would you take 5 for this?

Him: How much is it?

Me: 8.

Him: How about six?

Me: Hmmm... How about 7.

Him: Sure!

Me: DOH!

Oh man, I felt so stupid! ahahaha. I gave him my 7 bucks and ran to the car, he's probably still laughing his ass off.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    d'oh!

reminds me of Homer Simpson asking if a car is $20k when the window sticker says $18k :)

3. Flatlander

Flatlander Karting

Aug 21, 2008
    Middle of nowhere.
    Full Name:
    Rich Struck
    Believe me, this was definitely a Homer Simpson moment.

4. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    So just sell it on eBay for $4 and you'll be fine.

:D

Jedi

5. Flatlander

Flatlander Karting

Aug 21, 2008
    Middle of nowhere.
    Full Name:
    Rich Struck
    It wouldn't be the first time, lol.

6. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Same here... been there done that :) Oh well....

Jedi

7. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I love garage sales...you should see the stuff I got for less than $10 a few weeks back (various automotive tools and auto repair and body shop manuals).

RMX

8. Flatlander

Flatlander Karting

Aug 21, 2008
    Middle of nowhere.
    Full Name:
    Rich Struck
    We hit them all the time. I have a house full of junk I bought for a buck. We are in farm country so there are always tons of tools around here too. Mostly I look for old business books (pre 1930 or so) and 8mm films. We rarely find either but it is still fun.

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I take it you're not Jewish?

10. Flatlander

Flatlander Karting

Aug 21, 2008
    Middle of nowhere.
    Full Name:
    Rich Struck
    No - but - one time a guy I was dealing with paused, looked at me, and said, "You know, you could pass for a New York Jew." I'm not sure if he meant it as a compliment or as a dig but I thought it was funny that something like that would even enter the conversation.

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Your first mistake was to tell him the actual price (it seems he didnt event know how much he had it selling for!!) :D

12. SuperJ

SuperJ F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Very good that you can laugh at yourself. We've all done things like that. I remember bidding at my first auction. I was so excited about raising my hand that I outbid myself 3 times (I was 12 years old at the time). I think I was blushing for an hour after realizing what I had done.

13. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Sometimes it's better to not grind the last penny out of someone. If they feel it was a win/win they will be more inclined to add some more value, i.e. info or tell you about something for sale out of sight etc.

14. Flatlander

Flatlander Karting

Aug 21, 2008
    Middle of nowhere.
    Full Name:
    Rich Struck
    I think you are right. I don't like to be in a deal where someone feels ripped off or pressured. Having said that, I'm a cheapskate so I always ask because hey, you never know. But yeah, you don't want to do it to the point of hurting them, that is just bad form.

15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    One of my faves is "Ways and Other Ways" - 1923 - it was a Grandfather's. On the surface, it's geared towards Drug Store Merchandising - but, between the lines, so much holds true today . . .

Now, about those films . . . kinky!

16. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

hahahaha thats funny :)

17. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    You guys ever watch that show on the history channel, American Pickers? Looove it! That and Pawn Stars! Great TV, and educational at times!

18. Flatlander

Flatlander Karting

Aug 21, 2008
    Middle of nowhere.
    Full Name:
    Rich Struck
    The films are mostly cartoons and horror movies and stuff like that. We have movie nights and invite neighborhood kids over so they can see real movies projected onto a real screen. None of that DVD crap. There were countless xxx 8mm films produced but I don't have any. :(

And yes, re: the books... They are loaded with information that still holds true. I love them because for $2 you can essentially get a semester of college except that what you'll be learning is actually meaningful in the real world.

19. Freelander

Freelander Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2007
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Travis R.
    One of my favorite shows on TV at the moment! Can't get enough of that show.

20. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I love it too.

It took a while for me to warm up to it, being a reality show on the history channel and all. But it's great stuff. Same with pawn stars. The knowledge these guys have on some of this stuff is amazing.

I laugh so much when people find out their stuff is worth $2500 bucks and want that. I'm equally amazed at how high Rick ends up negotiating at times.