Bullet proof differential for all Boxers and Testarossa's | FerrariChat

Bullet proof differential for all Boxers and Testarossa's

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by fly, May 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Has anyone bought and used / tried the "Ferrari Testarossa and Boxer differential" for sale on eBay, Item number 260598085040, (as of 8 May, 2010) seller is 'phordfan'. It is described as "a NEW bullet proof differential for all Boxers and Testarossa's including the 512TR".

Just thought someone here might have tried this diff and be able to comment on it.

Steve

2. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    i assume this item is shipping from Canada.

3. Marty

Marty Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Boston/PTown/SW FL
    Full Name:
    Martin Stark
  4. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #4 fly, May 7, 2010
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
    Yes, that's the one, it is from Canada.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have installed 2. They are the best possible quality.

6. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #6 fly, May 8, 2010
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
    Did you buy them from Newman, here on FChat or from eBay?

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes im the one selling them. I list them on ebay, I prefer to not sell them on ebay which is why I asked to be contacted before payment sent. I get global exposure for a couple of bucks a week in fees, cant beat that kind of advertising for the price. Ive sold 30 so far, have 3 left and one for me. My carriers are all identicle for argument sake, the OEM ones vary somewhat so with that in mind be prepared to adjust with shims and count yourself lucky if you dont. Most have not had to adjust, a couple have and with my luck ill have to adjust mine!

Thanks for the positive feedback guys

Paul.

rossogta4me likes this.
  8. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

You can't get a better recommendation than this.

Hurray for Newman!

.....the TR diff issue....SOLVED !

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

9. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Paul,

I have an early TR (85') with 40K miles, so should I buy one "just in case", for insurance? what is your recommendation? Is it something that can be done during the engine out service? If so, what will the dealer charge me to put it in? Thanks,

Stephane

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Its up to you really, mine didnt fail but I wanted to replace it as a preventitive measure and for peace of mind. It eliminates one big potential failure and gives you a chance to get a look inside, replace carrier bearings, verify backlash and pattern and while you`re there make sure the front ring nut is tight. You should also upgrade the crown gear bolts that Ferrari offers as a change-up to the OEM ones. Typically during an EO is when you would do this, as for labour times, someone like Brian could tell you.

Thanks

Paul.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I just installed one of Newmans carriers aswell in a 512BB. It did require minor shimming due to the new carrier bearing bearings. The carrier is of the highest quality, you could display it as art under a peice of glass in you rec room. Its almost a shame to install it, cause nobody can see it!

12. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    i had one installed in my 512bb while it was in for a major.

Niece piece is all I can say

13. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Tom, how long will it take to install on a TR ? Im assuming this is a simple take out the old guts and put it in the new diff ? total hrs to do this ? of course, how long to take the egine off the tranny ? and put together - thks

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Hi Rick, You can do it with the engine in the car. You do not have to seperate the engine from the gearbox. Bumper, Exhaust and manifolds must be removed, bellhousing and clutch, both axles, rear housing cover both side covers.

Parts: (approx)
    Manifold gaskets
    2 side over o-rings
    2 axel seals,
    2 new carrier bearings
    carrier
    updated crown bolts
    possiable shims
    trans fluid
    brake fluid (for clutch bleeding)
    sealant.

Time wise is difficult to say. Your car is mint so your looking a day and a half minimum if reshim is needed.

15. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Thanks Tom, sounds pretty straight forward....so 2 full days of lab (15 hrs)...plus the diff and odd parts you mention ...the 2 new carrier bearings, and updated crown bolts are these better than original, or are the original from Ferrari ? Thanks Tom - PM me please.

16. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    When you sell out, will you be making/selling more?

17. Caribe

Caribe Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2001
    Moorpark, California
    Full Name:
    Arnaldo Torres
    I have been following this thread (and the one referenced by Marty near the top) with much interest since I am contemplating getting a second TR. When I got my first TR I was not aware of the frecuency and number of this issue (I am so glad I didn't encounter it with my old TR). But now that I am aware, I am budgeting for having this inspected and perhaps done as a matter of bringing the car to a well known point of departure (such as doing the T. Belts, Tensioner Bearings, etc.). Hence I have two questions:
    a. I have never done Differential/transmission work, but I have done a full major service on my old TR. Is this job comparable in complexity to the Major and can it be properly perfomed by the DIY?
    b. For budgeting reasons: For those that have done this job already, What is a ball park cost of the parts required (including the items listed above and the parts sold by Newman)?

Thanks!

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Once I sell out ill contemplate when to make more. There are a few factors such as moving this summer to a new house, another baby on the way (kid number 4) and my boxer in a million pieces. I want to make more but demand also drives the production and as much as I like looking at them, I dont want a bunch sitting on the shelf if I make more right away.

19. Dhillonboys

Dhillonboys Rookie

Feb 13, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Jas / Sanu Dhillon
    The differential on my 1991 Testarossa needs to be replaced. Do you have an upgraded differential for sale or know where I can purchase the upgraded differential?

Please feel free to e-mail me as I know this thread is a few years old.

Thank you!

Jas
    [email protected]