which is better and why, X5, GL450, ML 500 | FerrariChat

which is better and why, X5, GL450, ML 500

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Edward 96GTS, Apr 30, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    or Cayenne S?
    thinking getting a used one in the 25-35k$ range.
    tia
    ed

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    better at what? people hauling, towing, off road, commuting, driving on winding roads, etc.

how you will use it determines which one to buy.

3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    grocery getter and hauling around an 8 yr old/family trips.

4. ztunelover

ztunelover Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    I would recommend the cayenne s, even though it is hideous. The X5 interior is just plain unacceptable for what class it is supposed to be in, and unless its the v8 has very little pulling power. The benzes are decent, but they are one of those good enough cars, they aren't the benzes I remember, and I hear its back on the rise but benz servicing is apparently highly unsatisfactory. So all in all, either a xc90, a cayenne s, or an audi q7, would be my recommendation. I know the xc and q7 was never a choice, but in case you weren't aware, that is roughly in the same price range I believe.

5. widdlewade

widdlewade Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2004
    Bay Area/NYC
    For the price range you're looking at, check out an Audi Q5.

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    We just traded our ML500 for a Cayenne Turbo, and we test drove the other models you mentioned. All of them were used, 2-4 years old. We actually bought the Turbo for under your $35k limit with only 4X,XXX miles. Very happy so far except for 10 mpg in town. But we knew it was bad.

Anyway:
    Cayenne S: There seems to be a wide variety, a heavily-optioned one is as nice inside as a Turbo, and costs about the same. A model closer to base specification doesn't have nearly the bells and whistles. Drives nice, but the premium for a Turbo is only a few thousand dollars, and it just seems so much faster.

Cayenne V6: underpowered, poor mpg and basically same repair costs as V8. Don't bother.

ML500 (W164): Interior is OK, not really any better than the W163 we traded however. Has plenty of power and rides very well on the highway. Excellent visibility, best of this group. Our W163 was the best car in weather I have ever had, I assume the W164 is the same. Reasonable upkeep costs. Cayenne Turbo levels of gas guzzling.

ML350: See Cayenne V6.

GL450: It seemed really big, like a bus. Most room by far.

X5: underwhelmed with 6-cylinder. Heard V8 is much better.

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    very good analysis. had no idea Cayenne Turbos were so cheap!

8. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #8 ibesuc, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
    Go with the GL450.

Good looking, classy, good space for cargo and trips (third row that folds down for A LOT of space), extremely well built. From about 00-06 Merc was criticized for being low quality, this GL was part of the cars that helped Merc regain their high quality status. .

Also really comfortable and capable off road. I've got one myself, my wife and I love it.

EDIT: Keep in mind this car is sort of in a different class then the other cars you mentioned, its a lot bigger and more in the Escalade-Range Rover Class. If not the GL, get the ML500. I am telling you for sure the BMW does not compare to the Mercs, I also love Porsches, but again I think both Mercs win. The Mercs are best looking, and best interiors by far, other wise they're all the same.

So if I were you, either GL450 or Ml500 simply depending on size because the ML is basically a shrunk GL.

Steve

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    technically, the other way around...GL is a stretched ML platform.

I like the GL but it is a BIG truck (as you say, Tahoe/Escalade size), might be a bit much for the OP's needs.

10. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Funny, I was about to edit and change it to just that (GL is extended ML). Now that Merc has the GLK, they need to focus on making the ML appeal as a more luxurious car to compete with the Range Rover as the GL is bigger then the Range.

I agree. For the OP, sounds like ML500 is his best bet.

Steve

11. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    get the new lexus gx. I hear its quite fun!

12. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    ahhhhhh.....

13. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I think I may have worded my comment incorrectly. All of the other cars were 2006-08. We actually bought a 2004 Turbo (in Brentwood actually) from an independent dealer. It was fully serviced (new tires, brakes, fluids, etc) with a short powertrain warranty. Mine was bought for quite a bit less than $35k.

The nearby dealer (Parktown Porsche) also had an '05 with about 60,000 miles and a 2 year Porsche CPO warranty for $35k. Not sure of it is still available.

14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i've been told buying a naked cayenne turbo can be very costly. can a porsche extended warranty be purchased for a 2005-6 turbo?
    ed

15. Waldoonay

Waldoonay Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2007
    Ottawa/Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Walid Z
    I would suggest the ML500. Beautiful truck, nice interior, and practical. The GL is really nice, but for a family of 3 it's a a bit much IMO. I didn't like the X5. We had a Cayenne, and IMO the MB is nicer.

Also, have you considered the Americans? You will get a lot more for your money. That could buy a nice Denali or Escalade. I spent less than 35k on an 07 Yukon with everything you could ask for (power everything, dvd, leather etc...).

16. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Also, have you considered the Americans?"

I have a 2010 Cayenne GTS, but I think "consider the Americans" is excellent advice. Suburban, Tahoe ....

The luxury high performance SUV is a strange segment.

17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    we currently have a ford f-150 lariat. nice, but i wanted something w/ panache.
    ed

18. Waldoonay

Waldoonay Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2007
    Ottawa/Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Walid Z
    I would hardly consider them High Performance. Most Germans will spank them, but I like my big truck :D

19. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    How about ... a car?

Many of them can hold groceries and an 8 year old.

A used BMW e46 M3 would be in your range.

20. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Your answer is ML500.

Steve

21. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    definitely would consider a 2008 bmw 550i w/ sport package. any feedback on this car?
    ed

22. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #22 tundraphile, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
    If you get a certified pre-owned from a Porsche dealer the warranty is 2 years or 100,000 miles.

I think any of these cars can have huge repair bills if something major fails. Transmission in our old ML500 would have been about the same as the transmission in our CTT. $8k or so for the M-B new at a dealer, the Porsche may be a bit more but the point it in either case A LOT!

I researched the Cayenne before buying and it appears there are three areas that commonly have problems: plastic coolant pipes, plug coils, and the drive shaft (carden shaft). Parts for these are $530, $380, and $840 for new parts, respectively. Triple that cost of you are going to a dealer and paying full price for parts and labor. I'm tempted to do the coolant pipe upgrade this summer before heading off to Florida in late July as a preventative measure.
    https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=ce87660fe09df6634f19069b6ee0f59d&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PKCAYPIPE

http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/111340%20Porsche%20Ignition%20Coil%20-%20Beru.aspx

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Porsche/2004/955T/D2/2510/25856769 (new)
    http://www.coloradodriveshaft.com/porsche_cayenne.htm (rebuilt)

If you were out of warranty and took the Porsche to the dealer for everything you would get absolutely soaked I have no doubt. But the same can be said for Mercedes and BMW. A case in point was the power steering pump became noisy in my ML, at the dealer it would have been $650 parts and $450 labor. I changed it in a about 3 hours buying a brand-new one online (germanautoparts.com, A+ service) for $375. Changing the 16 spark plugs was a tougher job!

23. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Drop the ML550 and grab an ML63 AMG. Loads of fun, just don't blow up the supposed 40K motor.

24. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I bought a loaded 07 CPO car a few months ago, I had the bumper and the wheels changed, and I love it.