I turned the key & my $$$ flashed before my eyes.......!!!!! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

I turned the key & my $$$ flashed before my eyes.......!!!!!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kerrywittig, Apr 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    #76 KENCO, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
    Tell me if I am wrong, but did this car not have fresh belts put on not to many miles ago? Oh I see it was 4-5 years ago, sorry. That oil will play havoc on the belts wont it?

Kerry, If it cranks normally and checks out on compression, do you think you would just put the engine back in without do anything else other than the belts?

2. Richard123

Richard123 Rookie

Mar 17, 2009
    Do you think that one of the camshafts locked up to cause the crankshaft to spin on the belt? You'll find out, of course, when you go to time the motor with a spare belt, but it might be a good idea to gently "wiggle" the camshafts and see if they are free. If one is locked it might explain why the crankshaft pulley put so much strain on the teeth of the belt.

Sorry for your misfortune. It's great to see that you are keeping your sense of humour and approaching this with a "get 'er done" attitude.

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Kerry,

Why don't you mark all of the cam positions and then remove them (removing the cams will force all of the valves closed), and then do a leak down test? This will tell you right away if you have any bent valves (which, sadly, I am sure you will find), etc.

As for a "test" belt... You may just wish to buy a couple, as you are going to need at least one new one anyway and they are not too expensive... On my BB, they were around $30 or so.

Cheers,

Sam

4. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #79 kerrywittig, May 11, 2010
    Kenco, Your wrong.....LOL. The belts were replace 4 years ago and 10K.

Richard the camshfts are free...............

Sam, good idea, very good idea!! Thanks

But just in case..........Anybody got a cracked/wasted belt I can borrow to check the compression?

Me

5. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Out of curiosity, is radiator fluid as bad as oil for the belts? Whenever you purge the radiator fluid, one of the vents is right along the firewall...pretty darn near the belts. I was never sure if any fluid actually ended up on the belts, but it seems like a risk...

6. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Kerry, I have two belts that came off my 91 TR in Dec I can send them if you pm me your address

7. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #82 kerrywittig, May 11, 2010
    I'm sure the oil was the culprit. This car since day one has had a crank seal leak and the seal has been changed 2 or 3 times with no positive results........I have another seal and a redi-sleeve and actually want to to see if there is room enougn to "double seal" the crank by installing 2 crank seals.

As for would I just slap a new belt on and bolt'er back in? No way...............

I plan on detailing the engine bay. My sweat.
    Replace ALL hoses with SS braided or silicon w/clamps. $$$
    New belts, tensioners, water pump rebuild. $$$
    R & R the crank seals front & rear. Got'em.
    New valve seals & valve shim adjustment. Got'em.
    Have radiators cleaned in & out. $$$
    Get the Konis rebuilt. $$$
    Install a new one-piece carrier. Got it.
    New clutch/plate/bearing. Got it.
    Replate all fastners and odd hardware with either cadium or if I get it all shipped in time I have a friend that will titanium plate everything!! Freebie!
    Media-blast subframe & suspension components & get them powder coated. My sweat.
    Replace all & any rubber bushings with Polymer. $$$
    New E-brake shoes. Got'em.
    New air duct hoses. Got'em.
    Replace the steel cover that protects the gas tanks and pumps with aluminum (lighter & no corrosion issues). My sweat.
    Install Verell's shifter bushing(s). $$$
    Get a second and possibly 3rd job in order to pay for it all........

But after compiling this list........I just might throw caution to the wind, slap a used belt in it & drive it like a poser that stole it!! LOL

Me

8. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #83 kerrywittig, May 11, 2010

PM has been sent.....Thanks man....Just let me know what I owe ya and I can send a check or paypal friend. A pix of how the engine came out, 3 posts down, courtesy of F1ace..............

Kerry

9. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Wow...!
    Nice photo.

10. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    Nice solutioin to the "lift", Kerry. Whish system are you using (that blue scissors lift under your car)? Please let me know, as I am currently shopping for one for my car.
    Thanks.
    Juri.

11. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    #86 F1Ace, May 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Kerry,
    What's the condition of the belt tensioner Bearings?
    It would be interesting to know if this was caused by a bearing failure, or as you suspect, an oil soaked belt.
    If nothing else, your disaster might help the rest of us guys out if you can pin down the cause.

John

13. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #88 kerrywittig, May 11, 2010
    Bend-Pak MD-6XP mid-lift....check out at link below.

http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/specialty-lifts/MD-6XP.aspx

Can't be seen in the pix but I also "pocketed" the lift 3" into the floor. By doing that I am able to drive in and out of the garage without having to have ramps and/or being concerned wjth any clearance issues.

Here is a thread that covered the lift and install...........http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229124&highlight=bend+pak

Kerry

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Verry sorry to hear Terry. If you need any advice let me know. I'll PM my number. When you get a count call Ferrea Valves. The speak Ferrrari fluently. They may have specs for TR valves, if not send a sample and they will fix you up.

15. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Thanks for the insight Brian & the contact info...very much appreciated.

Just spoke to Ferrea..........Need to send a 'sample" but cost will be $30-80 per and a turnaroundtime of 2-3 weeks.

Here is a link for those of you whom may be interested.....

http://www.ferrea.com/

Kerry....or Terry.....or whatever name Rifle may come up with!! LOL

16. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    I've been nervously following this thread. Any owners, or fans, dread hearing about these stories.
    My question is - is the damage catastrophic? (new engine); or s it repairable? Too early to tell still?
    Good luck
    Kevin

17. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Have yet to open the engine...when I do you will know.....you'll either hear the loud laughing of not so bad..ie a few valves to replace..or the screaming in agony that a valve broke and damaged the piston/sleeve/rod/crank/etc......trust me you will know as soon as I!!!
    ME

18. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    ^

I can only hope and pray that its the most minimal of damage. My fingers are crossed for you.

19. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    So.... Those t-belts DO break from time to time after all ;)

I hope the engine damage is not too bad --- let us know when you find out the extent of the damage, and if you find root cause for the failure.

20. jeffsjag90

jeffsjag90 Rookie

May 8, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff Maynard
    Kerry I am new to this fourm and do not own one of these cars YET! I have never worked on a boxer 12. my question is how hard is it to pull the cams out of that bank and then do a leak down check on all six holes? I would be a little leary to just put a good belt on it then spin it to do a comp. check. But what do I know!!!!! You have all the parts Sence you are going to do the valve adjust anyway,

JEFF

21. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Ahhhhhh.....by the way........you dropped something :)

22. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    Thanks for advice, Kerry!
    Juri.

23. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #98 kerrywittig, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
    All cylinders are leaking on drivers side......Passenger is perfect.....but........I have been advised that as long as I am this far, do a COMPLETE valve job! So I shall!

Now there is a new twist to as what may have been the real culprit of the belt failure........Yes no doubt there was substantial oil contamination.....but....the 10mm nut on the adjuster was able to be removed while bolted in place with my fingers. 2 to 3 turns and ....Boing went the spring............so who knows, S*it happens.

I will post pix of belt and valve DAMAGE when I get my "special" wrench to remove the heads....Unless there is some FChatter that wants to loan me their Ferrari specific head bolt tool!! Enough of the beggin' and now to the thank you's............

Rifledriver thanks for your insight and "positive" attitude, it makes the anxiety easier to deal with.....Getting your experience to help me do this is priceless.

And then there is Sparta49..........Frank pm'd me letting me know he had a used set of belts and that I was more than welcome to have them...if I sent him my shipping info...........I believe he emailed me at about 10 am Tuesday morning saying, "Got the addy and I will send today!"..........26 hours later they arrived here in NY........Overnight at a substantial cost......and not even a mention of send me a check or they're this much....Wow!! Frank I am absolutely astounded and so very appreciative of your kindness, attentiveness and your going beyond the call of duty.........You be the MAN!!

Lucky ME.............

24. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    I loaned something to someone on F-Chat and never got it back..........that just made me think of it.

Kerry, were do you get the time to do all this stuff? Are you still working full time? Or are you not sleeping?

25. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I know how impatient I am when it comes to these things so I figured Express Mail was the way to go plus whoever would have thought I would have found a use for two old belts hanging on my peg board :) I guess being a hoarder isn't all bad. :) Good luck with the repair and keep us updated with pics