Mainland time zone job while in Hawaii | FerrariChat

Mainland time zone job while in Hawaii

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by AMA328, Mar 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Just wondering if anyone on Fchat knows people in Hawaii that are tied into mainland time zone jobs. I can work remotely, have considered spending chunks of time in Hawaii :) ,but due to time zone constraints would have to crawl out of the sack at around 3:00am this time of year or 4:00am when the mainland is back on standard time. Unfortunately, Bush 43 screwed around with standard/daylight savings time and considerably shortened the time during the winter when Hawaii and the mainland are closer together on zones.

Anyone know if it's very common for folks in Hawaii to work mainland times? I figured there's gotta be some people over there working the O'dark early shift...

Probably be in the Waikiki area initially, then later Kauai, Maui, etc.

2. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Yes, the time difference can be part of the daily calculation here. Hawaii does not observe daylight savings time, so as the year progresses, we are either 2 or 3 hours earlier than the West Coast or 5 or 6 hours earlier than the East Coast.

Stock brokers are up at O'dark thirty to be in sync with the markets in New York.

I order parts from across the mainland and the time difference is always part of the process. It is just part of the routine: not a big concern. It really is not a source of worry when the person on the East Coast tells me about the cold and snow...;>)

3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I start early but do not need to coordinate with any specific time zone. I have a couple of comments regarding Oahu.

Pre dawn and then dawn iteself is a special time if you are on the windward "East" side. You can see for 1000 miles in the clear sweet tropical air as the birds begin to sound off and the distant cloud formations begin to take on shape and color. Later in the day around 4:00-4:30 when the sun sets behind the mountain range in the middle of the island you will get a looooong dusk which is a nice lead in to an appropriately paced evening routine. If you are an active person and you finish your day early enough to participate in outdoor pastimes, as I do, Kailua might be calling your name. Military presence is abundant and they and their civilian support staff are out and about early getting to and from the bases. You will find plenty of folks up and about at first light getting in workouts. The unionized construction workforce is next which generally has a 6:30 start time. Then its working parents getting kids where they need to be 7-8 and finally the 9-5-ers boggin up the whole place. I would say that you could have it pretty good.

4. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    #4 AMA328, May 9, 2010
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
    Thanks for the updates. Yes, I'd be doing the stock market thing; 3:30am/4:30am opening, depending upon time of year, plus little bit of time ahead of that.

I have enjoyed the early morning hours when visiting. Only thing I don't like is going to bed at 8:00 or 8:30pm, while everyone else is still out partying.

More likely to do this during Oct-Mar timeframes, one to several weeks at a time. At this point, just doing initial planning. Hope to give it a try sometime later in 2010, but we'll see.

Will keep the 'views' in mind whenever I can get it all setup for real. Of course, just about any view over there beats most of the mainland... :)

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I work remotely from Montana, for a Big Island company. The disadvantage is first calls from middle and western mainland states start coming in early. I'm getting calls at 7:00 am MST. My last calls of the day come from Hawaii when its 8:00 to 9:00 pm Montana time. Makes for long days but I only work four days a week.

6. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This time of the year its 6:00 ish for the beggining of dusk