First time i see this LM (or this paint job..) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

First time i see this LM (or this paint job..)

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by amenasce, May 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I likely would. For me that would reflect values of days already gone. After restoration the car would replicate something it used to be, which for me would only be yet another step away from originality, not towards it. Once a racing cars ceases to be competitive, there is no going back. Those who survived survived for another reason and that is a valuable part of the cars history too. It too can be apprecieted.

Let's have a look at 250GT TdF 0723GT. The car was converted for road use sometime in 1960-61. The blue and white (vinyl?) interior was replaced with properly done red leather at the factory. After 50 years the red leather is in excellent condition with perfect patina. Would you throw that away and put those hideous Finnish colors back? I most certainly would not.

Best wishes, Kare

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #27 PSk, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
    But no car that has been painted is original anyway. Thus the first restoration to stradale format already has killed any notion of this car being original. This car probably didn't even turn a wheel before Autodelta race prepared it. It is sad that somebody has undone all that history, and yes you are right you can never get it back, but like Jim's #0854 you can make it look like it actually once did. And heck that car helped create the legend of the GTA, as an Alfisi I could not turn back a chance to experience this car as it was.

BTW: I'm actually discussing a real car and I believe the restoration to stradale format only happened in the 90's.
    Yeah that ones complex because a 250GT TdF is a much more practical road car than a LM ... In that case because it's just trim I'd leave the red in, but what was done to the LM has completely changed the personality of the car.

I guess the best answer is I would not bid on either road converted or otherwise LMs, and leave them for those that find them interesting as they are.
    Pete

3. HK500

HK500 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Germany
    Can someone help with the serial number of the grey 250 SWB
    in the background of the 250LM?
    Best regards
    HK500

4. lord.brett

lord.brett Formula 3

Nov 26, 2006
    France Normandie 27
    Full Name:
    brett
    #29 lord.brett, May 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar

6. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Stunning machine.

I see that it has Monegasque plates...but (sadly) I have never seen it around Monaco.

7. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #32 Peloton25, May 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    This LM looks awesome in the silver with the red/white/blue front stripes. I imagine the presentation and state of the car is kept and maintained by the whims and beliefs of its current owner.

I see the case made for both sides, factory original or race livery/stradale conversion. If the conversion were distasteful and poorly done, I'd want it back OEM. In this case, the modification is done excellently and is part of it's history (as someone mentioned in the case of the breadvan). The different appearance sets it apart. We've all seen the factory red Ferrari before, vintage and new.

9. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Could be the case that they installed the plexi cover in combination with velocity stacks and thus protect the engine for sand and stones sucking inside the engine. I did not see the car in Brescia (in fact I did not see any of the Tribute cars). I would have loved to, but no time.
    ciao
    Oscar

10. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Well we were in the same hall and we saw you, Oscar. But I understand, and you certainly seemed very busy indeed when I spotted you on Wednesday night.

Interesting thought about why the plexi window was installed, seems like a possible reason.

Onno

11. HK500

HK500 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Germany
    Is this 250LM known by someone?

What´s the S/N of the blue 250LM?
    Thank´s for your help!

Regards
    HK500

12. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Despite the modification its still a fantastic looking car, though I must admit the bumpers look pretty odd to me.

13. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Saw this car in Maranello prior to the Ferrari Mille Miglia Tribute. What a beauty!

Gr. Martin

14. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Administrator: Twice, I have tried to tell the tale of my ride in 5995, but by the time I'm finished (I'm a slow typist) I am automatically logged off. I give up.

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You can log in again in the pop up box and it will proceed to make your post....

OR....

Like me, you can type awhile and post it, then continue typing and post again!! LOL!

We WANT to hear about it!!

Go, Ed, go!

16. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Write your story on a word document and then copy & paste it on Fchat.

Please don't give up. We want to hear the tale :)

17. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #42 Peloton25, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
    Or you could type it in Notepad on your PC, then copy and paste what you have written into the posting window in a matter of seconds. :)

Another trick to employ when you have written a post is to select the text and hit Crtl+C to copy it onto your clipboard prior to hitting 'Submit'. That way if the website has a glitch, what you have written is still safe somewhere, and can easily be reposted.

The behavior of the website you described sounds strange though - when you do log in do you tick the box for the website to remember you? I've never been logged out here at random myself.

>8^)
    ER

18. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  19. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Come on, you know you want to (and so do we...)!

Gr. Martin

20. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    good looking car.