real 308 with Fiero engine...a first for me | Page 2 | FerrariChat

real 308 with Fiero engine...a first for me

Discussion in '308/328' started by Doug, May 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    It's the ultimate parts car!
    I need to look up where that town in Ohio is, I want to go see this!

2. furnacerepair

furnacerepair Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Martini
    I hate to see people do this stuff to a Ferrari. Bastard car and almost worthless this way in my eyes.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Pretty good? Sorry, look more closely, the car is a total abortion!

4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Now lets not drag disparage franken-ferraris ;)

5. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I just went out to the garage and hugged my 308,
    Phil[/QUOTE]

LMAO!

6. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Just loaded both barrels........PULL!

7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    rolmao .... just when i think it cant get any worse for this (these) cars .... a new level of OMG shows up on fchat.

Im speechless....

only way to get worse , is if they get 25k for the thing which is more than what some on here paid for ...for a real 308 - put that in your pipe and smoke it folks :)

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Years ago I joked that someone should take a 308 as the starting point for a kit car of a Fiero. Seems like this clown is half way there. What a shame.

9. RDzingel

RDzingel Karting

Jan 16, 2008
    A horse-whipping is in order....

10. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Comes with 2 spare doors and the speedometer works sometimes...hard to pass up.

11. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    I'm with Tillman and Spasso, there are some interesting engineering opportunities for experimenting with other power plants in a 308, particularly one that has been neglected and needs drastic resusitation.

The concours wine-and-cheese crowd universally sneers at these type of projects. It's easy to sit back and say "yuck" to other people engineering endeavors. It's a lot tougher to make something interesting and workable with limited resources and your own hands and energies. Some tolerance and compassion for those who don't have the budgets of most on this forum would be good.

12. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If one were improving upon the 308 motor, something more sophisticated or higher tech, or as silly as it sounds, something more fuel efficient, and if it were executed with good quality, that would be one thing.

I didnt click on the link, I didnt need to. I saw that pos a few years back when the thread was running here. Its worse than an abortion. The engine is stone age crude. Its barely 1930's engine technology, cast iron crap. I dont care if its turbo'ed to 400 HP, its still crap.

What this really is, is someone who was too cheap to let it go, and to cheap to fix it. Probably one of those silly ideas about running it out til the motor blows so they could save on major service every 5 years. When it did blow, and when they saw it was gonna cost $15K plus, they did this.

Oh well, at least they didnt make a pasta machine out of it.

13. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    He says he only sell it because he now bought a 348.

That will probably be the famous type with the rabbit engine :):):)

14. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    This is one of those false economy things .....

This conversion would be a bigger problem than fixing a dead 308 engine.

That old V6 piece of junk would never mate up with any component so all mounts and anything that has to join up would have to be custom made. The suspension mods made are a classic example , clearly a big job by any standard.

I think "Reserve not met" will be there for a long time.

.......... a true Ferrari enthusiast will hopefully buy it and bring it back to life. (in the course of a restoration he'll get a GM boat anchor)

15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    if you are going to mess with a 308, at least put in a Buick Grand National turbo engine in it, or something similar ! :) :)

16. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Yeah but, this isn't really engineering, is it? It's more like "kit bashing".

There's nothing wrong with having a Fiero, wasn't there even an "S" version or something. If that's where your budget and desire is, fine, I respect that.

Nor is there anything wrong with wanting/having a Corvette, a 308, a 911, etc. But pretending that the 308 is better because it has a Fiero engine and drivetrain - which is what this guy does (just read his threads on here) - that is wrong. He justified this wreck as something desirable because it no longer has the 308 motor, but instead has an easy to maintain GM v6. Maybe I'm a purist, but to me that's being a poser.

You want to engineer something interesting and unique, start with the right platform - GTM or something similar comes to mind. But if you want a Ferrari, or Lambo, or whatever, and you have a Fiero budget, either defer the acquisition and save your money until you're able to make a correct purchase, or adjust your expectations. Nothing wrong with adjusting expectations, for what he has in this car, he'd probably have one sweet mid 80's Corvette.

My $.02,
    Phil

17. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Yuck! Now understand, I like the Fiero, especially the 88's. But this? Wow! The worst part isn't the engine swap... the worst part is that the guy actually thinks the car is worth 15K!

I'll give him 5K for it, if there isn't any rust in the body. From there it could be fun... Northstar maybe? V12, a nice transaxle, and a 288 GTO body kit? Hmmm.....

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

18. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    "No special Ferrari mechanic needed"

19. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Out of so many kind of engine you can put, WHY Fiero?

20. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Not too many other choices for mid-rear-engined setups with suspension. Plenty of front wheel drive systems but then you have to modify the suspension to remove the steering components.

Fiero, MR2, X1/9, Scorpion, 914, and ?

Add to that, the Fiero has that drop out subframe like the 348, which simplifies (?) things a bit.

21. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ah! I see, Lancia 2.0 with the VolumeX supercharge or Stratos motor would have been nice , at least keep it Italian, thanks.

22. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Of course, the fact that until 1988 the Fiero's rear frame/suspension was really the X-body's front frame/suspension makes the whole front-to-rear swap seem that much more possible. And if someone was contemplating such a swap, I would think they would have the skills to utilize something a bit more spirited than the Fiero's economy minded V6!

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

23. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Absolutely true.

Of course any front-wheel-drive design can become mid-rear-engine with sufficient use of a welder!

24. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    So instead of using the x-body subframe/ V-6 go with the a Cadillac Northstar V-8 and it's subframe.. Much better technology with this engine.

25. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I agree! Although the Northstar only came with an auto behind it, on Fiero Forums I have read of utilizing the 6-speed manual from the G-6 without too much difficulty.

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill