Ferrari Wants T-Car Back Into The Rules | FerrariChat

Ferrari Wants T-Car Back Into The Rules

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, May 18, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Ferrari is to make a push to try and get rid of the ban on spare cars in Formula 1, in the wake of Fernando Alonso being forced to skip qualifying in Monaco because of his Saturday practice accident.

Alonso crashed at the Massenet corner during the final free practice session, and major damage to his chassis meant the car could not be repaired.

With F1 rules currently banning spare cars, it meant Alonso could not take part in qualifying and had to start from the pitlane for Sunday's race once a replacement chassis had been built up.

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali thinks that what happened over the weekend should force a rethink of the regulations - especially because fans were robbed of seeing Alonso battle for pole position.

"Let's start from the reasons why the rule book was modified a couple years ago: costs had to be reduced by getting rid of the T-car and reducing car crews," said Domenicali. "This was the reason why the regulations were changed.

"After that, as usually happens in F1, we lost sight a bit of the events that may happen, like on Saturday. So I think this is an issue that will be re-discussed again as soon as possible, because preventing spectators from seeing the car for this sort of reason is in my opinion worth looking at."

2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    "Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali thinks that what happened over the weekend should force a rethink of the regulations - especially because fans were robbed of seeing Alonso battle for pole position".

(Possibly the driver needs to be more careful and not destroy the car in practice? If they do, there should be a penalty for making such a mistake. T-Car is a good idea, but NOT as a way to excuse a driver from their screw-up. Let them qualify, but with a 10 grid position penalty, or some other penalty. If you wreck your car in other race series, you generally start from the back. Possibly Ferrari is anticipating Alonso wrecking again in practice)

3. omgjeff

omgjeff Karting

Mar 20, 2010
    Austin, TX
    #3 omgjeff, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
    I have to agree with Stefano. I'd much rather see a driver pushing the limits rather than backing off a bit in case of a crash. With testing limited to practice sessions for the most part, the teams will test during these sessions where they are going to need push their cars to the limit. Why punish a drivers race for that?

4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I think they have a very valid point. We already know our man Carlo was hugely disappointed to not see Fred in quali, and I'm sure that applied to many, if not most, of the fans in attendance.

It's a stupid rule IMO - You can have a spare tub (sans tanks and suspension etc) which you can build into a car as and when needed - How is that saving money? The guys are gonna work all night to achieve something that should already be in place.

As to penalizing a jockey for crashing, why? They've all crashed on occasion, it's just a question of luck as to when it happens and the result - If he'd done it Thursday, no worries, but as it was Sat am he was hosed.

Incidentally, Autosport reports the tub is totalled :(

Bring back the T-cars!

Cheers,
    Ian

5. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Theres a surprise.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #6 TheMayor, May 18, 2010
    Everyone agrees this rule is stupid.

Tell me how the fans, viewers, and sponsors of the race are benefitted by any racer not being able to jump into a spare car because of an accident -- self inflicted or otherwise -- in a warm up or first lap red flag situation.

It does not save money. The spare car has to be rebuilt anyway. It's just another stupid rule that makes no sense while it does not improve fan relations (remember .... it's supposed to be about US).

I would have said this no matter which driver crashed. Ferrari makes an excellent point that could not have been made until the situation finally hurt the race. The entire race I was saying to myself... I wonder how exciting it would have been to have seen Alonso challenging Weber.

7. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well lets face it the teams were dictated to, so I assume it was not up for discussion by yours truly.. cretin Mosley.

Thats why they got rid of him.

Sorry Ian..;)

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Its a stupid rule... as are most of the rules in F-1 now days!

no testing, no spare cars, not free thinking, no tobacco sponsors, no access to drivers by the fans, not many classic european tracks - Spa, Zandvort, Paul Ricard, Imola, etc.... all this in the name of progress! seems like going backward to me.

9. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

I agree the rules in F1 are stupid, but if a spare car is allowed, the poorly funded teams will have even more financial problems. I actually would love to see F1 become more like the days of formula libre, but in today's world, no one could afford it..

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Why would they have more financial problems? Would they just throw the damaged chassis away instead of repairing it for the next race? It's going to get fixed one way or the other. All the parts are there. The only difference is that they don't let the pit crews put it together in advance.

If the rule is abandoned, no one is forcing anyone to have a spare chassis. If they can't afford it, then just don't have one.

But, if you can afford it and you want to support the fans and your sponsors, you should be able to.

11. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    You're right, there's no cost savings in it. The parts are all there but aren't assembled.

IMO the rule is there to have exactly the result seen in Monaco. A faster car gets totalled and the driver has to start from the back instead of being able to qualify at the front. More artificial spicing up of "the show" by Max.

I say bring back the spare car AND bring back at least some limited testing during the season.

12. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    What about the engine? Is that another one gone or were they able to use it in the new car?

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    AFAIK, the motor & 'box are both good.

I doubt that's what he ran though - I guess they'd want to take a look before using 'em in another race.

Cheers,
    Ian

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    +1

I'd love to see the T-car back. Just think about that this could be the title defining moment in a race towards the end of the season: One contender crashes in Saturday morning practice and his opponent gets the title without a fight during the race. Just stupid.

That said, I doubt the FIA will change their rule.

Lifting the ban on testing with e.g. a test day on Monday after the races would already help the newcomers (remember Alguersuari's debut?), but even such a mild rule change seems to be "too expensive" for the FIA.

Not in this climate where a Sauber drives around naked. Not gonna happen.

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 Trouble is, it wasn't thought thru' properly - OK, it's easy with hindsight to see the flaws, but the idea of always finishing "under green" does have it's appeal..... (?)

+1 - I'm gonna bang on it again - Thursday prior or Monday after. [At most tracks of course - Monaco gets a "free pass" as always ;)]

Cheers,
    Ian

16. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Todt really does need to spray everything with a big can of Max-be-gone! It'll take years to undo all the backwards rules he put in place.

17. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    That rule is ridiculously stupid for the fans that want to see the drivers going all-out all the time. However it does annoy me that whenever something doesn't go Ferrari's way they want to change the damn rules.

Keep in mind they weren't complaining about it in Spain...

18. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Let's hope it happens and that its only the first rolling back of Max's economy rules which are ruining the sport.

19. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Yep. One only needs to look at American open wheel racing to see how making things "spec" ruins the sport...

20. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    "If we save any more money we'll go broke"

21. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Definitely a silly rule. People don't pay so much of money, take the effort and time, only to find out one of the top drivers will be sitting out for the quali.

It's time to get back to the drawing board, FIA.

22. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Of course the rule about T-Cars is silly, so are many of the other rules. But once a driver wrecks the car during practice sessions, they don't deserve the same opportunities as the driver that keeps themselves on track.

Otherwise practice could be full of experimentation and delays.

Teams are required to present the car when it arrives at the venue. This means the same engine, transmission, chassis, etc, as the rules dictate. That is the car the driver is to qualify for that event. If that car is damaged, and a new car is put in its place, there is an entirely new scenario. Not the car that was presented.

Team shows up, car is not performing, let's do a Briatore and wreck this one so we can bring out the spare, it has to be better. If all teams did this, the track would be littered with junk all weekend.

No, has to be a penalty if you need to bring out the back up car as a method to deter chaos. The FIA will not change this part of the rules.

23. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    You do? Name the series with this rule.

24. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Absolutely correct.
    That's why the testing ban and engine/transmission rules have to be lifted as well.

25. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    #25 mousecatcher, May 18, 2010
    non sequitur

RP's post was really just a rant about what would happen if the T-Car rules are changed, and isn't borne out by historical data. It was not reasoning about why T-Car rules need to be lifted. As such, I don't understand your lumping the engine/transmission rules into his line of reasoning. He didn't present a reason why any rules should be lifted.