Africa Travel Question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Africa Travel Question

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 360stimo, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. v15ben

v15ben Formula 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #26 v15ben, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
    We did the crossing back in 2007. Seemed like a fairly calm day until we set off and the captain decided he was in a powerboat race. There were people puking up in the aisles, falling over, both locals and tourists. Me and a mate decided to do impressions of Kate Winslet in Titanic to take our minds off the horrific bouncing!

ETA I spent 7 weeks in Tanzania back in 2007. Did some amazing stuff including a 4 day safari into the Ngorogoro, Masai Mara and various other places. An amazing country and as others have said it's recommended to follow your gut with certain things. We went on a couple of very small planes which were fine, but being locked in the airport 2 minutes before check in and only one of the props being on as we got to the end of the runway were entertaining :)

2. roalda

roalda Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    Wiltshire England
    Full Name:
    Roy
    Dito on the Masai Mara, Savo is good too.
    Nice pic.

3. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Sat in Dar airport waiting for my flight to Nairbobi and hopefully getting my flight back to London tonight.

Had the most amazing trip. Saw all the big 5 plenty of times and;

1) Migration of Wilderbeast
    2) Cheeta kill a gazzelle - have photos of it and its cubs eating it
    3) Lion stalk, use our bus as cover, then hunt and kill a baby wilderbeast. Lion looked injured and was so hungry it didn't properly kill the poor wilderbeast and started to eat it alive. I have a video of it stalking and making the kill and plenty of photos as it dragged the animal into the shade of the bus infront of us.
    4) A large bird eating a snake (i hate snakes)
    5) A female lion doing a mating routine infront of a huge male in the road right in front of our bus. I have loads of pics.

I saw so much, but these were highlights. Spent the last week on Zanzibar in a huge bungalow on the beach.

Despite it being rainy season, we had rain for over night once and the rest was beatiful sun.

Oure guide said it was the best Safari he has done in 5 years and he hadn't seen a kill in 5 months !!!

Even met Bill Gates last night through my gf's uncle as he works for the Gates foundation to help Africans with banking and techbnology.

Now to get home.

4. roalda

roalda Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    Wiltshire England
    Full Name:
    Roy
    Can't wait for the pics, glad you had a great trip..
    Regards Roy

5. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
  6. roalda

roalda Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    Wiltshire England
    Full Name:
    Roy
  7. 8-Ball

8-Ball Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    Sussex
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Great photos, Stimo. I'm liking the lions.

Looks like it was a good trip.

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  9. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    We actually spotted the Leopards kill in a tree nearby in the morning, but couldn't see the Leopard. It was probably asleep in the long grass really close to us. We returned early evening and found him chillin in the tree. About 4 more vans turned up and he woke up and got down and hid in the grass. So glad i saw it though.

10. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
  11. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
  12. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Flew into Nairobi, had a day and a night there and then caught a bus to Arusha in Tanzania. We then started the Safari there. Started in Lake Manyara, which was a nice gentle start but didn't see anything that amazing here. Then two days in the Serengeti and the last day in the Ngon Gora Gora Crater.

We then flew from Arusha to Zanzibar for a week and back to London via Dar and Nairobi !

Loved every minute !

Going back to climb Kilimanjaro in Sept next year. Going to attempt the toughest route and maybe see if i can raise some money for charity.

13. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    Cheers for that, Tanzania is on our list.

The Kili climb is quite popular now, I have a few friends doing it this year. Do you fancy Everest Base Camp April 2011? .... http://www.keadventure.com/trip/4890/everest-basecamp-lodge-trek.html

14. roalda

roalda Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    Wiltshire England
    Full Name:
    Roy
    Put me down for 5 pence (times are still hard and my Ferrari drinks fuel).
    Regards Roy

15. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    #40 360stimo, May 22, 2010
    Last edited: May 22, 2010
    Funny, couple of guys we did the Safari with had just done Kili and were talking about Everest base camp and that is deff something i want to do !

Kili has become very popular, especially the 'Coca Cola' route, but the toughest route up im told remains quiet.

You doing Base Camp Nige ?

16. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R

Yes, Apr 2011. :D