Need advice on the "new" OB Bentley store | FerrariChat

Need advice on the "new" OB Bentley store

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by TBigs, May 21, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I heard Perillo bought out Abbas, but has anything changed? I'm interested in a Maserati GranSport there:

http://www.bentleyoakbrook.com/2006-maserati-gransport-f1-coupe-gransport-f1-coupe-c-329.htm

...but I'm very wary of dealing with them. Does anyone have any recent experience or stories to share? Are there still nightmare stories? I'm out of state (4 hours away in OH), too, and may do this remotely.

Also, if anyone actually knows this car I'd appreciate some info. Apparently it was looked after by Continental. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. ROULEUR

ROULEUR Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Chris C
    Abbas still runs the place, if that helps. Buddy of mine did a couple of deals there, seemed to go ok other than some paperwork stuff that was a little weird. If the car checks out, and they have the title, I would do it. Jason over there seems to be an ok guy, maybe talk to him??? Good luck with it though, either way!

3. RDzingel

RDzingel Karting

Jan 16, 2008
    Holy smokes - that's a lot of car for the money....

4. scuderia1989

scuderia1989 Karting

Mar 16, 2010
    Hey, that place is now owned by Joe Perillo and it is a great place now no BS I would go in talk to a guy named Ismail hes the manager their very down to earth guy and does not like screwing people over, plus that seems like an amazing car for the money.

5. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Thanks Ismail! :)

6. scuderia1989

scuderia1989 Karting

Mar 16, 2010
    Im not Ismail but I know the guy and have known him for a very long time. I actually work at the Bentley/Lamborghini Gold Coast store downtown.

7. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    So is Bentley Downers Grove done? (aka Luxury Motors)

Thanks

8. scuderia1989

scuderia1989 Karting

Mar 16, 2010
    Yup it is no longer Bentley Downers Grove owned by Joe Abbas it is Bentley Oak Brook owned and run by Joe Perillo and Luxury Motors is history they declared bankrupcy a couple months back.

9. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

So it's Bentley Northbrook & Bentley Oak Brook. What about Bentley/Lamborghini/Bugatti Gold Coast? - They're not on Bentley USA's Web Site.

Just wondering...

10. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

shocking.

11. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    ditto.

12. ferrari4204

ferrari4204 Karting

Oct 16, 2008
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Cory
    This forum is not a big fan of Mr. Abbas. I unknowingly bought my first f-car 2003 456MGTA from him at Bentley Downers Grove. At the time of purchase, had no idea what a PPI was and did not have one done. Drove the car for 18 months and 5000 miles and had no issues at all. Since that time I found this forum, read some of the posts about him which I don't doubt are true, but maybe a little biased, disregarded them and traded in the 456 for a F430 spider last August at Gold Coast Bentley and have had no issues with that vehicle either. At the time of purchase Perillo was in the process of taking over, I dealt with Joe Abbas and Joe Perillo personally, got good money for my trade and a good deal on the spider and because of Perillo got a fantastic interest rate. I dont post here that often but I did have a good experience there and wanted people to know that. I can assure you I don't work there, have no affiliation to the dealership and will most likely continue to buy from them. The original poster is welcome to pm me if need be.

13. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I guess Bentley Downer's Grove didn't sound "hoity toity" enough? ;) It's still in the same location - not in Oakbrook - and never was ...but to each his own I guess.

14. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL
    Perhaps they are following the example of Bob Rohrman's Oak Brook Toyota in Westmont?

15. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
  16. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for the tip, QS, but the beast is gone. Rob did let me know how to track it down though, so maybe.....

Thanks to others for their input on OBB too. I tend to think that the vast majority of their deals must be "normal" or "good" deals, otherwise they would have been out of business long ago. They can't completely undermine themselves by screwing everyone. But they sure screwed a lot of people.

As for bent metal, there seems to be an undeniable history there, but again, it couldn't have be a large fraction of the business because they did such high volumes. I suspect those deals were opportunistic rather than being the business model.

Still, I'm not chomping on the bit to make a deal with them. There are a lot of cars out there that aren't selling.

17. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Just in case anyone out there is interested in this car (or this dealer), I'm posting what I learned in the process of vetting this car. Here's the VIN for search engines: ZAMEC38A360022171

I've had some conversations with OBB and Continental about the car. There are some neglect/deferred maintenance issues. According to the mechanic who looked after the car, it needs about $6000 of work to get it up to speed. It needs:

4 new tires: $1200
    1 new wheel (right front is cracked): $1755
    4 year service: $2650
    plus taxes and other miscellaneous stuff, like alignment, makes easily $6000 on top of the purchase price.

For the record, they claimed the wheel was not damaged nor repaired. Continental told me it was cracked. I believe Continental. I suspect OBB never even looked.

OBB isn't willing to offer the car at a low enough price for it to make sense, nor are they willing to put any money into the car, even to make it safe (the rear tires are slicks). It really makes you wonder about the dealer. I guess they really haven't changed. It gets back to the point I made previously. If the car you are interested in is perfect, there shouldn't be any problems. If it is not, then you get into this shadiness.

One very telling comment: I mentioned that anyone who does their homework will learn that the car needs about $6000 of work, so they will only be able to sell it to someone who doesn't do their homework. The response, "yes, you're right, and we will HUNT this person". (emphasis theirs)

Anyway, for what it's worth, caveat emptor. They haven't changed. Too bad. It sure is a pretty car.