USGP is back in Austin, TX (merged) | Page 5 | FerrariChat

USGP is back in Austin, TX (merged)

Discussion in 'F1' started by Godfather, May 25, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ditto.

2. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    With the state facing an $11 billion shortfall as it is, I'm guessing against public funding. But there is plenty of money and eligible sponsors even locally if someone can put together the right deal.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    uh...tritto? ;)

Austin is a great city, I'm not bashing it, but this ain't happening. just a bargaining chip against IMS (like rumors of Monticello)

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I hope to spend a BUNCH of money then......LOL!

5. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
  6. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I hope it's in northwest, lots of land, and it's developing faster than few years ago. The plans for the new Schlitterbahn in Cedar Park area which will draw a massive crowd.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's that little used Tollway east of town, that goes to Waco.

If we get permission from the French Owners, we can run on that....it'll be like watching paint dry, unless we add a loop thru Bastrop and Copeland.

Asleep at the Wheel plays Copeland.......that might work....

How long has it been, since we used a track where a run off into the trees would kill you??
    Texas 21 is like that.........

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Tavo's phone is DISCONNECTED!!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

See ya'll tomorrow, I have to go get Ukranian Olga some new tires.......

9. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

I've got no great respect for the evil pygmy and maybe he's just messin' with Indy. However, this isn't like Monticello, NY/NJ and the rest - This "idea" has Bernie's name on it - Thru 2020 it seems! - *Dayum!*

OK - Donnington was the same for a while, but he dumped 'em PDQ once the $ ran out - Maybe the Texans can pull it off! (?)

Cheers,
    Ian

10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Austin is a great city.

Several years ago I stayed at the Hyatt down by the river (is it still there?). About 2 AM the fire alarm went off and everybody went outside their door which was all open to a huge atrium. You could see everyone. While I was there the Hyatt was hosting a school secretaries convention. I will never forget seeing hundreds of women in their nightgowns that night.
    I will never forget Austin. Apparently it was a false alarm and NO, I did not do it. ;)

11. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Here we go again.
    The gnome's previous USGP trial balloons weren't getting as much positive response as they once did so he's raised the volume.
    I'd love it to be so but once you look past Bernie's smoke and mirrors there isn't much to hang your (ten gallon) hat on here.

12. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'll believe it when the red lights go out.

13. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Sorry for my ignorance, I haven't read this entire thread, but who is Tavo?

Which river, by downtown? I can't remember, but I think it's a Hilton.

14. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    #114 aquapuss, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
    The one by the Congress Ave Bridge (the bat bridge)? Still there but the city is moving quickly upmarket. If you come back after the year end, check out the new W Hotel that will also house the new Austin City Limits studios. Should be excellent.

15. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Well, IF they make it happen ( and that is a huge IF, I know ) I hope they can solve the issue of poor overtaking possibilities as they go through its design process.
    Any suggestions wise F-Chatters can suggest to them?

16. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Austin is absolutely not the place for an F1 race. If it happens, I will be there, living in El Paso at the time.

But, the question, despite announcements, "if" it happens.

I have many doubts.

17. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I get the same feeling. Like it is doomed for failure from the start. Dallas, Phoenix, the southwest USA is not F1 country.

18. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    #118 solofast, May 25, 2010
    +1

There is only one track in the US that is capable of hositing an F1 event in the US and that is IMS. Somebody is going to have to spend $300 mil to build a new track and that simply isn't going to happen for an F1 race. I doubt that anybody is going to front that kind of money for a losing proposition..... Even if you loved F1 and have a billion in the bank you'd be stupid to put it into a white elephant like an F1 track.

Bernie would love to go back there but IMS is smart enough to not to roll over lose money on the event. IMS spent a bundle on upgrading the track to F1 standards and never made a dime on it, so why would they want to do it again unless they can get terms that allows them to make money? Bernie needs a USGP more than IMS needs Bernie.

19. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #119 RP, May 25, 2010
    Its not April 1.

If Dallas, Phoenix, could not make it in the long run hosting an F1 race, how can Austin do this? Where is the money for the track coming from? What international flights go to Austin on a frequent basis, unless someone thinks people will fly to Houston and then commute to Austin? This is not F1 country. I live in Mexico part time, and people here do not even remember the names Pedro and Ricardo Rodriguez. In Texas, most Latinos are Mexican, they don't televise F1 on regular TV here.

For me, good if it happens, I will be living in El Paso at the time, about 8 hours away by car.

But seriously, as much as I hope so, how can anyone imagine this is for real?

20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Even in Texas, there are more than enough nimbys, greenies and assorted pleasure police to make sure it doesn't happen...

21. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Apparently not.....

Particularly with the exit of Honda, Toyota & BMW. - *They* wanted it.

Merc & Ferrari - "It would be nice".....

Renault aren't even here so I guess they don't care.

Oh, and AFAIK, there's still more people looking for a race than Bernie/the teams want.

It must *suck* being Bernie ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

22. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #122 LightGuy, May 25, 2010
    Exactly.
    Sounds like Casey Putch's running buddy.

Per Autoweek;

"....Dollahite says Hellmund has done some promotions at local small race tracks.

"Tavo is very driven, I'll give him that," Dollahite said. "He one wanted to attend a Formula Ford festival and convinced the local Chevy dealers to sponsor his trip.

"A Formula One race wouldn't just be a big step up for him, it would be a huge leap."

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100525/F1/100529832#ixzz0ozDNfE3S

23. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    What doesn't make any sense is Bernie's part in these rumors.
    Is he just being Bl**dy minded? Hanging the prospect of a USGP to gain leverage with other countries?

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Very possibly. Who knows the way his mind works?.... I'm pretty sure he wants a US race, but he'll tell you he's looking after the best interests of F1 blah blah - If somewhere-zakstan pays the bills, he'll go there instead......

As I mentioned above, I wouldn't be surprised to see some Bernie $ waxing the wheels if this is serious.

Cheers,
    Ian

25. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    My guess it this...

Part of the FOTA/FOM war resolution was that FOTA wanted to be back in the USA. This is becase the USA is the biggest market for a large number of the companies and sponsors in F1 (Honda, Toyota, BMW, Ferrari, Mercedes, Marlboro, ING, etc, etc). Granted, some of those companies are no longer in F1, but most are and new blood will also come in time, even some of those recently departed.

The FOTA members are not dumb enough to accept a mere verbal promise from Bernie to look into a USGP. There is something more concrete there. Bernie does not want this to be public because it would harm him in negotiations. But he is obligated to get a USGP back on the calendar. I imagine he has a deadline, and I imagine it is 2012 or sooner.

IMS doesn't care whether they have an F1 race. They are profitable without it. Bernie can't sell F1 as a jewel in their crown, because they already have that - the Indy 500. Furthermore, the USA doesn't care too much about F1 so selling it on the basis of "giving the people what they want" doesn't fly. Not here.

Bernie wants tens of millions a year - that is the going price of an F1 race. He knows there is mega money here, and $20mm (or whatever) isn't that much in the grand scheme of things - in his eyes.

The only track that can reasonably host an F1 race is IMS. And they will do it only if it's profitable. And it can only be profitable at a number much lower than $20mm/yr.

Bernie is between a rock and a hard place. He must get a USGP, and I imagine the teams want a 10 year deal. He is furiously negotiating with IMS but hasn't been able to crack them and get them to agree to a deal on his terms.

So he has tried every trick in the book.

Bringing back Montreal.

Proposing a USGP in New Jersey.

And in New York.

And now in Texas.

As well as floating ideas about USGP's in many other places.

He wants IMS to start sweating and come back to the table and negotiate more in his favor.

If they are smart, they won't do it. Bernie is required to have a USGP by 2012. He has no other options. The ONLY track that can do it is IMS. Nobody will fund anything else. This entire exercise - Austin having a race for 10 years - is a farce and a negotiating trick.

I imagine the folks at IMS are a lot smarter than to fall for it.

It's not even a good trick. The company Bernie claims has the contract is a nothing company run by a nobody. As was stated, if there was a billion dollars IN HAND TODAY, it would still be a massive undertaking to make it work. The money isn't even there yet.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that there will be no USGP in the USA in Austin in 2012 :)