Accepted to Emory! | FerrariChat

Accepted to Emory!

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by FastLapp, May 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    After a tumultuous 2 years in college that has seen me at two different schools in New England (and earning a 4.0 GPA), I'm finally coming home to the South after being accepted to Emory University as a transfer student.

So here's where I need some advice: I received hardly any financial aid from Emory and need to fill a $23,000 gap in funding. I'm looking at being over $65,000 in debt (with interest, around $120K), which is a $660 monthly payment over 15 year term. My alternative is to attend Belmont University in Nashville, a lower tier but much less expensive b-school, and be only $10K in debt upon graduation.

I plan on getting my MBA before pursuing a career in i-banking. On one hand, a degree from Emory will help me get into a top-tier grad school such as Harvard, NYU, etc. but attending grad school will just add to an already big debt burden from Emory. On the other hand, a degree from Belmont will leave me with a very light debt load but lesser career prospects, as well as a much smaller median starting salary (52,000 at Emory vs. 34,000 at Belmont).

Plus, I really like Atlanta.

So, is it worth it?

2. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    This was a sensitive discussion in our household in the early years. My wife went to Emory and i went to Ga Tech. My joke was that if you graduate from Tech, you got a job and if you went to Emory you graduated with a debt and a one way back to grad school to become a English teacher.

Most of the graduating friends with my wife had to go back to school cause they could not get into law or med school.

But in all honesty i have to say that if you are very confident that you can do very well at Emory, then it would be well worth it. If you just want prestige to add to your resume, then the 100k + debt is not worth it.

And no my wife is not a English teacher. She went onto Wash Univ and got her masters.

Back then she was paying 43k per year and I was paying 2,163 per year. And I make make way more than she does. Cheap shot I know ;)

3. kayakjack

kayakjack Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    James,

Great post. Congrats on getting into Emory. That is a great achievement.

Is Emory worth it? From a $ perspective, you answered your own question. If your assumptions are correct, your starting salary would be about $18,000 per annum more than the alternative. Balance that against the $660 monthly payment. You have already done the math.

Also, forget about money for a minute. Where do you want to go to school? Sounds like Emory. That would be a great choice. Great education. Should be a great springboard to the rest of your career and life.

I am biased. I am an Emory grad. I am also on the Oxford College of Emory University alumni board. One of my duties this year was to talk to some high school seniors who had been accepted to Emory to answer their questions from the perspective of a former student. One question I got was about financial aid. I dug into the process since I was not familiar with it at all. It is very interesting. As you know, the school's decision to accept you or reject you is done without consideration of your ability to pay. An accepted student with documentation for no family ability to pay will result in the school covering the cost. Given your situation, I assume your family has the ability to cover some of the expenses.

I wish you the best of luck with all of this.

Jack

4. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Congratulations. I graduated from Emory two weeks ago and consider attending Emory the best decision I've ever made. It's opened doors I never thought possible, and changed me in an indescribable number of positive ways.

You have a PM with my thoughts.

5. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    #5 F355Bvc, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
    Congrats James !!! I'm an Emory grad, or as we say, an Emoriod !!!! It was a tough school when I was there and I'm sure it hasn't gotten any easier ! Best of luck to you !!
    Do they still have Wonderful Wednesday ? For us , Wed was a no class day !! Like having 2 weekends in every week. Of course, we used that time off for studying !!! (LOL)
    Oh Yea, When I was there , It was less than $1000 per quarter tuition !!!!!! can you believe it !!!???

Kayakjack : I also went to Oxford my first 2 years !!!
    Small world !!

6. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    They still have classes on Wednesdays, but the concept of 'Wonderful Wednesday' lives on with a fun party in Asbury Circle (right in front of Dobbs Res Hall, my freshman dorm) each Wednesday. There's music, giveaways, big inflatable things you can jump in, cookouts, etc. etc.

They started it up again in 2006 and it's been a huge hit with Emory students... except those of us who live in Dobbs and have no early classes Wednesday morning!

PS - you should get Emory plates for your 355. High-visibility marketing!

7. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    #7 F355Bvc, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
    The ad valorem taxes piss me off so much. I don't want to give the state of GA, anymore $$ than necessary !!!!!

8. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    :)

How's this: I bought a two and a half year old car in January 2010 and paid sales tax of ~$1,200. My birthday was on Saturday, so the state got another $350 out of me earlier this month. Recently, I've been provided a company car by my employer, so I now will be selling my car.

So that's ten percent of the car's value to the state in just six months of driving! Ouch!

9. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    #9 fingolfin, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
    I went to Vanderbilt University, right next door to Belmont. While I absolutely loved my time in Nashville, I'd go to Emory. You want to get into banking, you sound like a very competitive student with a great GPA, and I don't think you'll find what you're looking for at Belmont. A huge percentage of the students there are music business majors, and I can attest that they come from a different mold. Granted, I'm sure there are some fine students at Belmont, but Emory will put you on track to compete with the best in the country. Trust me, you need to make yourself competitive right now. I graduated last summer and secured a position as a financial analyst, having to beat out over 300 applicants to do so. Challenge yourself, work like hell, and the money will take care of itself.

10. kayakjack

kayakjack Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    They raised tuition to $1,000/quarter just after I graduated (Oxford '69, Emory '71). I thought they were crazy. I thought nobody would pay it. I thought the school would be a ghost town. Shows you how much I know.

Jack

11. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    You were one year ahead of me !

12. kayakjack

kayakjack Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    Vince,

I attended the reunion for your class last month at Ted Tzavares' place (Great Gatsby's). Warren Brook thanked you for providing the wine. I thought, "I know that guy".

Everyone else looked so old!! LOL

Jack

13. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    No financial advice for you, but congratulations!

14. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    +1

FWIW, I graduated from another school some 15 years ago and those loans are still being paid out. That just sucks...of course, my priorities and job prospects perhaps aren't quite as bright as yours may appear right now.

PDG

15. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #15 LightGuy, May 25, 2010

First off congrats on getting in.
    A very good Biz school we looked at seriously for our son.

Advice my mom gave me years back;
    Put your money in your education.
    (As a bonus they cant repossess it ;) )
    You will carry the pride of graduation from the school of your choice for the rest of your life.
    Emory also may give you the slight edge when it comes time for grad school as well.

Do whatever it takes.
    Provided the answer to the above statement is Yes.

16. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    I guess you see how Oxford and Oxford College have and are growing.

Ciao,
    George

17. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    I hated to miss the reunion, but had a family wedding to attend in B'ham. Had to go over Fri, returned Sun.
    I agree ! The pictures that I have seen from the reunion, Everyone looks so old ! Lucky for us that we have kept our Youthful appearance !!!!

18. VPC

VPC Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2002
    MI
    Full Name:
    Victor
    #18 VPC, May 25, 2010
    Congratulations! Emory is a great University for a great education.

19. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Good school - small world…… well kind of.
    My wife graduated from Oxford in 79 and Emory in 81. She had no trouble getting into Grad. School (UGA Law). Unfortunately she only stuck to it for a year to drop out and move to Florida to marry some jerk. We’re still married and she credits Emory for getting her into American U. for grad school.

20. Mr. Hyde

Mr. Hyde Rookie

May 7, 2007
    BIRMINGHAM, AL
    Full Name:
    TC
    Congrats on the acceptance to Emory. I graduated from the college('84) and med school('88) and really loved my time there. So I have to recommend the school, but keep in mind substantial debt will cripple you financially without some sort of a plan to minimize it. Just look at the global financial crisis hitting us now....it's all caused by massive debt loads.

21. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Thank you for the advice everyone. Very helpful comments.

Yes, I am very confident I will do well at Emory, which is why I am willing to take the risk of debt for the benefit of a top education.

Sending in my admissions deposit tomorrow. Look's like I will be posting in this section more often!

22. kayakjack

kayakjack Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    Great choice. Smart move. Look, if you have a 4.0 average through your sophomore year, you should do just fine at Emory.

Jack

23. stradleboy

stradleboy Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    Also with this decision take into account how much you love the school. I am currently attending High Point University, I will come out about $50K in debt. I feel this is worth it because I am doing great at this school. It is all about where you feel value.