bucking at 3500 rpm all gears | FerrariChat

bucking at 3500 rpm all gears

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by B512M, May 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. B512M

B512M Karting

Mar 26, 2008
    flood city
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Not sure what happen, it was running fine previously except my fuel level sender unit is always on even when the tank is still half full. Yesterday, I washed the car and when I take it out to dry it, it was bucking at 3500 rpm in all gears, (it feels like you hit the rev limiter). I didn't want to push my luck, so I went home asap. what could be the likely problem ?

2. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    Guessing wet electrics. Try it again after it dries out.

3. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I have a similar issue with my car. As it starts to warm up- not cold and not yet fully up to temp- it will buck hard, it feels just like the car is hitting the rev limiter. It's been in the shop a couple of times for this and no one has ever been able to find a problem. In my case it has nothing to do with washing the car.

Let's see what the experts have to say....

4. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #4 finnerty, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
    (I ain't no expert, but...)

CHRISTIAN ---

I agree with Emery --- first, let the engine fully dry out (might take a couple of days), then, if you still have the problem, I would ask the following:

Does the problem change with engine load? Meaning that although you are at the same RPM, does it "buck" when you are accelerating to 3500, cruising at 3500, lifting off throttle down to 3500 ---- or all of the above?

This could help differentiate whether the problem is fuel related or ignition related.

5. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #5 finnerty, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
    (I still ain't no expert, but...)

NORM ---

Your problem sounds fuel delivery or vacuum (leak) related. Have any of the shops done a COMPLETE fuel pressure check of the system?

Also, have they checked the vacuum cut-off / limiting device?

6. B512M

B512M Karting

Mar 26, 2008
    flood city
    Full Name:
    Christian
    David, it will accelerate like its normal below 3500, then it starts bucking, so i lift off. I can't cruise over 3500 rpm, it would not go higher than 3500rpm. and no check engine lights are on.

7. B512M

B512M Karting

Mar 26, 2008
    flood city
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Left the car in the garage for a week. Took it out again last night, and she ran perfectly. Like you guys said, wet electrics. Remember guys, careful not to spill any water into that engine bay. I am used to washing my 'rice burners', forgot the special care needed to wash the TR.

8. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Sounds like it can be a few problems:

1) Water in the electrical system
    2) Vacuum line (maybe came loose with the wash
    3) When did you change the spark plugs last?