308 vs. Testarossa | FerrariChat

308 vs. Testarossa

Discussion in '308/328' started by shashi27, May 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shashi27

shashi27 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2006
    Long Valley, NJ
    Full Name:
    Shashi
    Been lurking around for awhile and looking at the market. The Testarossas appear to be depreciating to $40K - $45K for a good example. I love the 308 but wouldn't the 12 cylinder Ferrari likely appreciate more quickly in the future assuming servicing is up to date. Seems a little strange that the QVs are just shy or slighlty more than their big brothers.

2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I think there is a little bit different type of person/budget shopping for a TR then that of any 308. The TR service costs are substantially higher which I believe dictates their somewhat bargain pricing at the moment. A really nice 308 will not break a person and is about half or less the service cost of a TR (engine has to come out for service for a TR). Even the DIY type owner would have a difficult time working on a TR due to the somewhat special equipment needed to pull that lump.

3. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    #3 Scaledetails, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
    Maintenance budget is going to be your decision maker, as the 308 and Testarossa should not even be compared side by side. They are both in a different class of their own. The Testarossa is an icon whereas the 308 is a great starter Ferrari.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Dont swallow the cheaper service comments on a 308 vs a TR. Most 308s are trashed by now with improper servicing usually by cheap owners or bargain basement shops that use the wrong clamps, hardware, hoses and just good old fashion butchery. See what a QV rebuild will cost you if your liners are out of spec! Buy a TR that has good service history and all the papers. Do the engine out service when you're supposed to and dont drive it like you stole it and you will enjoy the benefits of what a flat-12 has to offer over a weenie displacement 308 in both sound and performance. Forget about investement unless you buy a Euro fiberglass 308 drysump car, then you MIGHT make money.

5. pdf308

pdf308 Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Paul
    IMHO the TR styling is a time stamp where I find the 308 a future classic.

6. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    +1

7. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

I agree and disagree. A solid properly maintained 308 will be cheaper to keep up then an equivalent TR. A rogue 308 will break you, while a rogue TR will KILL you lol. From what I have read on this forum, engine durability/longevity goes to the TR.

8. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Well said. Doesn't the TR have an Achilles' Heel, though? Something like the diff or a tranny component?

9. shashi27

shashi27 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2006
    Long Valley, NJ
    Full Name:
    Shashi
    Definitely not looking at this as an investment but was a little surprised by the price similarity. One Fchatter has his white 89 TR posted on ebay and here, which excluding the benefit of a PPI, looks like it has been well maintained. Now shamelessly is my screensaver. Originally had it up for $40K and now $45K.

I was going to pick up the boxer schemed Scottsdale 308 earlier in the year but a calamity of house issues popped up. Now I have managed to sell one vette and close to another and am looking at F cars again. Was contemplating the white TR and the 83 blue/gold QV that has been on Ebay. Both are priced the same. I know the blue QV has been well sorted so I understand the premium over most QVs at $35K.

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    308 is a timeless classic. Testarossa is very firmly placed in its' era. Not a bad thing, just an observation.

It's a 'horses for courses' thing. The 308 is a tossable fun car that feels fast while driving slowly. The TR from what I've seen is a road hammer, and will certainly walk away from my 328.

Interestingly enough, I fit well in a 328 and don't fit all that well in the TR. Something in the way the seat/roofline work makes it a bit more cramped for me.

TRs have a weakness in the diff, well documented in that section.

11. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    #11 stevel48, May 28, 2010
    Rear diff carrier and if it goes its a 15k fix so look for one that has been fixed with the solid cast replacement or one with a 512 tranny.

I just picked up a 308 as my first Ferrari but I know I will end up getting a well sorted TR someday when I trade up. Or maybe have both. I love the lines of both cars.

12. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That blue/gold 308 on ebay is gorgeous, definitely one of the better ones out there. I have some correspondence from the owner (he's also here on fchat) and unless things have changed, 35k will not buy that car - direct quote. My guess is he's looking for low 40's for it. Nice car, definitely asking a premium.

My opinion, the TR is definitely a moment in time while the 308 is more a timeless classic. Very different buyers. Future will tell, but I think both are excellent candidates to rise in value in the next 5-10 years. The TR maintenance costs are the wild card though. If you're looking to buy and then upgrade in a few years, it's hard to go wrong with a 308/328. A good TR will cost more than a good 308, bad examples of either will hurt a lot...just the TR will hurt more.

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Saw a red 90 TR this week on a country road just out of the blue, awesome presence and the "dated" thought never entered my mind, looked low and wide. Anyone that thinks a 308 with pop-up headlights and wedge styling is timeless is in denial. So when you buy a TR make sure it has had upgrades, plenty of them out there with 512M diffs....and my billet ones :)

14. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I guess it depends on where you live and the type driver you are. The 308 is a perfect back road car, and that's where it shines. I have no problem keeping up with newer sports cars on back roads, and completely smoke a TR on a backroad. If you live in an open road environment, I'd say go for the TR. Or you just don't care to explore limits or the car, and just like the torque and power go for the TR.

Jim

15. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Well, well, well...Newman saying something good about the TR. Refreshing! LOL!!!:D

16. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    the funniest part of this thread is that anyone thinks they can get a half decent TR for 40-45K ....

people (new and old) seem to forget that these cars are approaching 30 yrs old...and a car going for low money will most likely cost alot to bring up to spec.

A 45K 308 will be a much better purchase than 45K TR - compare the conditions.... a deal maybe around , but a steal ... i doubt very much

17. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    I disagree ;)

18. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    of course you do :)

i would prefer a 40 yr old unused woman to ride as opposed to a very worked in 25 yr old ...differnet strokes for different folks ;)

19. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    I can honestly say, I have no idea what you're talking about.

"Whatchoo talkin' bout?"

20. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    it sounded good in my head when i said - :D

speaking of "whatchoo talking about wilson", he hit his head , and is on life support....did you hear about that Gary Coleman guy today?

21. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #21 mike996, May 28, 2010
    I could definitely do a TR - it and and the 328 are from the same era and are, to me, the coolest of all Ferraris. OK, the 288 GTO is way cooler but there's no chance I could ever actually afford one. I wasn't that much of a TR liker until I sat in one few weeks ago. Definitely a cool car. I'm not sorry I bought a 328 instead but there's something about the TR that just screams "BAD @ss!" Maybe it's my old Mopar drag racing days that does that, I don't know... ;)

Or maybe it's the commercial from the late 80s showing Enzo getting out of a TR with a smile on his face while the announcer says something like, "Why does the Ferrari Testarossa have Goodyear Tires? Because Enzo Ferrari says so!" TOO COOL!!!! Enzo never appeared with a 3x8 (AFAIK).

I tried to see if there was a UTubel of the commercial but so far no joy. I found this reference:

Ferrari Says 'Ciao' To Goodyear Tires
    February 2, 1989
    It was a knockout commercial: A red Ferrari Testarossa zips along making delightful noises while an announcer informs viewers that the Italian supercar rides on Goodyear tires because - car stops, door opens, imposing white-haired man in dark glasses steps out - ''Mr. Ferrari wants it that way.''As motoring enthusiasts know, auto-design genius Enzo Ferrari died last year. Now, the '89 Testarossa and the new 200-mph-plus F40 will be equipped, not with Goodyear, but with Bridgestone tires when they arrive in this country.

22. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Heard about Gary Coleman, thats probably why it was in my head.

Seriously though, I don't understand what you were saying. Hope you understood my post about disagreeing. Check the TR section for my thread if not.

23. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I love both of mine, but the TR is a keeper. You can drive it vigorously, but with respect (no burn outs). I have one of the Ford GT guys coming over this weekend to see my TR. Thanks to Newman the 308 is stripped bare and going through a complete rebuild. :(

John

24. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I really dislike when people say that. A LOT of people buy 308s because of a silly little reason...THEY LIKE THEM. I bought mine because I always liked the styling...still do, even prefer it to the styling of the TR. Not because it was a stepping stone to a "real" Ferrari. When I see a TR, it's pretty cool. When I see a 308, my heart races.

Ok...I'm done venting ;)

25. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    #25 CliffBeer, May 28, 2010
    On an equivalent basis (a well maintained 308 and a well maintained TR) there's no doubt the TR has the potential for significantly higher service and repair costs over time. Basic service costs are higher, and major component rebuild costs are much higher for the TR. Used and rebuilt parts costs in general for a TR are also going to be higher as there are fewer parts/donor cars out there compared to the 308. The current market pricing for TRs reflects the above phenomenon (real or perceived), in addition to a perception of somewhat dated styling for the TR.

That's not to say that a TR may not be worth the service costs premium over a 308 (again, on an equivalent basis) - it's a heck of a car and its new price reflected it was a far superior car to the 308/328 next to it on the dealer floor. The flat twelve is amazing and, frankly, my guess is that the styling will probably age well over the next 20 years when the styling becomes more "retro" and cool (as is often the case). The TR is amazing. With open autostrada in front of you, 200-250kph all day long is a breeze. Not so in a 308.