Gas pedal sticking - Is my Mondial becoming a Toyota? | FerrariChat

Gas pedal sticking - Is my Mondial becoming a Toyota?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by jgoodman, Jun 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Fellas,

I've noticed that my gas pedal sticks a little at the beginning of it's range, then once it's depressed about an inch or so, then moves fine throughout the range of pedal travel. It doesn't seem to stick coming back up after being depressed, so I don't think I'm truly Toyota bound, but any thoughts on where it may be catching?

Thanks in advance.

2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Mine did the EXACT SAME THING. I am willing to bet you its your throttle cable. Pretty easy fix. Most likely your throttle cable has just gotten old and the grease has dried up. I replaced mine. You may just be able to get away with greasing the line, especially where it meets the throttle body, but (A) I have no idea how to do this correctly, and given that the cable is 23 years old, I don't know how effective that will be in the long run.

My advice, go buy a new throttle cable ASAP. Once this problem starts it goes from bad to worse pretty quickly. At first it started with a little extra effort within the first inch of travel, it soon became so stiff that the effort needed to get past the initial inch was so great I ended up having the floor the car. Let's just say it was a fun drive to the mechanic :)

3. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    +1. throttle cable.

4. tajaro

tajaro Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Gulfport Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik V
    This is way too obvious most likely for your situation- but my 456M did this once when I first got it and it's frightening (but totally possible) to brake down 400+ ft.lbs of torque until the peddle released. (Can't stop a Prius?).

Turns out it was the pedal sticking to after market mats installed on top of the stock. Ironic that the desire to protect the stock mat could've cost the car if I wasn't quick enough.

But on yours I'd bet on the cable too-

5. dfratini

dfratini Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Fratini
    Absolutely it it the throttle cable. Yo can first try to lubricate it. THe local motorcycle shop may have a cable lubricating rig but sooner or later you will need to replace the cable.

This exact same thing happened on my '86 328 and the lube application got me by for 3 or 4 months.

6. limetime55

limetime55 Rookie

Nov 27, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Mine did the same thing for about 6 weeks when all of a sudden the cable broke and stranded me at a Dairy Queen.

7. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I've had mats cause the problem on several different cars.

Also - wasn't there a post about QV or 328 linkage being in close proximity to fuel injetion components causing binding?

8. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    on the mondials check the aluminum/carpet tunnel cover next to the pedal. the linkage runs right against it, in a lot cases the cover gets bent over and contacts the linage creating the bind/sticking point. remove panel, check for contact and bend back into shape.

9. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Possibilities:

#1: Carpet

#2: Cable

#3: FUEL INJECTION pipe at the injector has shifted interferring with the TB Butterfly linkage.

Check all three. Bet one is the offender.

I have had #1 (frequently) and #3 happen, but not #2 yet.

10. FLVICE

FLVICE Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2006
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Theres absolutely nothing wrong with it... Its called "Italian Cruise control".. The better model uses the floor mat... LOL ;)

11. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Mine did the same thing. I got up near the gas pedal and the throttle cable and doused it good with some spray grease. Don't recall what kind I used, but it was recommended by the people here. Maybe white lithium grease? It helped a little at first, then as I lubed it more and more over a few day period, the problem went away completely. That was at least 4 years ago and it's never happened again.

12. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    In addition to the above also that the throttle body has not become gunked up inside.

13. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    +1

Number 1 IMHO

14. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Well I took a little WD-40 and sprayed it using the included thin straw into the throttle cable guide between the air plenum, pressed the pedal a few times and it is no longer sticking at all. A few drops of WD-40 fell into the engine, but so far no fire! It's all good again. But this winter if it starts to stick again, I'll probably replace the cable. Thanks for all your help.

15. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #15 jgoodman, Jun 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
    And no jokes about using WD-40. ;) It worked. :)