512tr aircon | FerrariChat

512tr aircon

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ross, Jun 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    my aircon wasnt working, so i took it into my favorite shop for this vintage car. we mused about the various potential faults, and we feared the worst that the compressor was shot. however, we started with the easy stuff first (especially since the compressor is located under the dash and requires a full dash dismantling which i absolutely did not want to happen). so we checked the fluid - it needed to be replaced, but it still didnt work. then we checked the filter - it needed to be replaced, but it still didnt work. then we checked the valve that is actuated by some kind of temp sensor....and that was sticking. so we have unstuck that and lubed it up, and now it works. thank god. however, i am unsure just how long it will continue to work....

anybody else had these issues? any comments on 512tr aircons?

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    FYI, the ac compressor is in the engine compartment. The condenser is in the dash

3. B512M

B512M Karting

Mar 26, 2008
    flood city
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I did replace my old compressor and rebuilt the old one for spare. Every 3-4 months, I need to refill the freon. There are probably leaks in the condensor, but I do not want to take risk opening up the dash.

4. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    Thanks for this info. I've just taken my 512 in for a malfunctioning aircon and will be interested to know if any of your diagnoses will answer the problem

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I had to replace the drier in the F40 AC, now it works

6. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva