How Tight ? | FerrariChat

How Tight ?

Discussion in '308/328' started by albert328gts, Nov 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Seriously do any of my 348 brothers out there know how tight the throtle linkage should be. Let me recap my gas pedal is attched to a wire/throtle and it seems loose, there are a couple of nuts at the end of if that can make it tighter, should there be no play or should there be a little play? Hope this makes sense... Help....

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #2 Miltonian, Nov 6, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Albert: I assume you are talking about these two nuts on the back end of the throttle cable. I don't think there is any EXACT adjustment to shoot for, but there should be a small amount of free play, so that the throttles can fully close against their stop screws. These nuts should NOT be used to adjust the idle speed by taking away the free play on the cable. You might want to take a look down around the base of your gas pedal before adjusting and tightening the cable nuts, in case there is dirt and debris around the pedal that may possibly be limiting its movement.

The lower nut on the end of the cable is used to adjust the slack. The upper nut should then be tightened against the lower nut to hold it in place so it can't back off.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Yes, thats it exactly. Thanks I thought that I had too much play in it.
    Appreciate the help.

4. Ronnies348TS

Ronnies348TS Rookie

May 27, 2010
    Chestermere Canada
    Full Name:
    Ron
    My cable seems to slip off of the little grooved guide, how can I correct this?

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    #5 Spitfire, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
    I think you need to do as Miltonian suggested -- namely, adjust the cable using the two nuts so that you remove most of the slack (and so that the cable doesn't slip off the groove), then use the throttle stop adjustments to get the correct idle.