Challenge Stradale owners who have driven/own 993RS | FerrariChat

Challenge Stradale owners who have driven/own 993RS

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by RS man, Jun 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    Could anyone provide their thoughts on the 2 cars? Thinking of moving on to Challenge Stradale situation permitting. I have the 993RS and have now got used to the car and was thinking of change. My brother says don't bother with F355 as the RS is a sharper handler - he sold his F355 for the RS. So that leaves me with possibly the CS. It looks rather large if you ask me and I just wonder if it will even fit through the garage door (it is a double garage with 2 doors) as our saloon car just about made it in! What is the span from mirror to mirror (I assume the rear isn't furter out than the rear)?

2. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I've never driven either but, until someone comes along with an answer, here's a comparison between the Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale and the Porsche 911 (996) GT3 RS:

If you know anyone who can explain the updates Porsche made to the RS car then perhaps you could use that video review as a reference to try to compare the 993 RS to the CS.

All the best,
    Andrew.

3. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    I remeber seeing that. No wonder Badoer did so badly in F1 - he couldn't even keep Clarkson behind him! I th ink there is a UK member who has both cars - can't remember his name. I was hoping he may post his opinion.
    Still have reservations about the F1 shift though.

4. CUE99T

CUE99T Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #4 CUE99T, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
    night and day.....CS is by far better a car........

I have been in one flat out round the ring and I can honestly say that the RS would be nowehere near it.....

for me it would be the gear chnage and brakes that would be the 993's short comings....

and for the driver...well lets just say his short arms were good enough for a lap or 12......:D:D:D:D

I have owned a 993 Turbo and a 360 F1 Modena and I would say they are also leaps apart in technology and handling so for me there would be a similar comparison.

5. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    Thanks for your input Paul. I think there is a substantial difference in the way the RS and the 993Turbo drives. The RS will outhandle a Turbo quite easily unless there is a long straight for the Turbo to show its superior power. At the end of the day I am not in persuit of more power but want a car that that makes you appreciate the way it handles. I suspect the CS will handle better than the RS but as I have not driven a CS I would like some input from somone who actually has driven both. I do not care for F1 shifts to be honest and if there was a Stradale in manual that would be my preference. I still remain in the dark ages I'm afraid but it is just a personal opinion. The only gripe I have with the RS is the pedal position which I detest - I just need to find some time to adjust the position.

6. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Actually, I have such a car. It's a MINI ONE... with 90bhp. :D

Admittedly, I have modified it a little bit (it still looks OEM), uprating the brakes, dampers, and putting a load of strut and chassis braces in it... but that thing is great on a twisty road. There's next to no engine power (relatively speaking) so acceleration is slow, but once you build up momentum then it's a very 'chuckable' car that changes direction with amazing urgency. And it's cheap. Very, very cheap. So cheap that even an impoverished university student such as myself can afford to run it. ;)

If handling is the overwhelming priority and power really doesn't matter to you, I'd say buy a naturally-aspirated MINI Cooper (2005-2006) and I can recommend some chassis and suspension improvements that'll make that thing a great little fun car for backroads and light track use that you can still drive every day without worrying about door-dings. Even if you later decide don't like it, you'll have lost very little. For slightly more power, buy a supercharged-engined Cooper S (170bhp) or a Cooper S Works (210bhp) from the same era (2005-2006). Plenty have done engine modifications to the Cooper S for output of approximately 250bhp.

If you want to go really crazy with it, there's a guy running around England with just under 400bhp (dyno-measured 391bhp) after removing the supercharger and fitting a great big turbo. :eek: However, that is getting towards BMW M3 money... like I said, it's crazy. :eek:

At higher speeds, any Porsche of the same era will handle much better and be a more stable platform (suggestion: Cayman). At lower speeds (i.e. 30-60mph) the MINI would give it a run for its money in the handling department... power thrown out of the equation for a moment. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

7. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Hi
    Well I have owned both a CS and have had a lot of time in a 964RS as well as a 996GT3 RS and there is no comparison. The CS is faster and IMO better handling feeling than the RS. Also ride is better(although its not that difficult to better when you compare against the RS!.)

The CS is more exhilarating, the shift is extremely efficient(although perhaps not as good as the very latest F-cars), great sound and is just fun, fun, fun. One of the best cars I ever owned. I personally think the RS's(whether 964,993 or original 911) are way overvalued and there are other cars offering better value. At the moment, I think the CS is one of the best buys around if you can pick up an honest one. I am sure that will change as time goes on....
    If you can pull the trigger on a CS, You won't regret it.